Goofy Half Box

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my first half box. Well, sort of. They took a quarter box, folded it inside out, and filled it with halves. Weird!
halvesbox.png

Upvote 0

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. I have had a few tellers drop boxes and have to tape them or bag them....... So what are the results of those rolls?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it a full $500? And was it sealed?

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what really matters... Any silver in it? I'll take funky boxes all day long if they're loaded. :)

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every box I get in my area come that way, $500 halves inside an inside out quarter box. They are stamped "$500 Half Dollars" on the side.

HH

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh, I get those white-and-brown wrappers inside of cube-style boxes. Sooooo freakin' skunky. I've found one 40%er in probably 100+ of those boxes.

The cube-style half boxes have the same font and decoration on them as that quarter box, but in brown instead of orange and obviously it says "$500 Halves" instead.

Do you know who the supplier for that bank is by any chance?

Last edited:
OP
OP
iontyre

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These came from a PNC bank. They told me they have their own central repository, they don't order from the Fed... odd. Haven't finished the box yet, I'm not the kind that just scans the edges for silver. I am trying to fill out a Kennedy set, so I'm looking at each coin. No silver so far, but I did get one NIFC (2006D) the looked like it just came out of the mint. Not even half way through the box yet. Will take me at least the weekend. I did find a branch with a coin counter I can use for dumps, so that is a plus.

Oh, yes it is a full $500, and the box was sealed.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen as well; they ran out of Half boxes. All rolls were sealed and some produced.
HH!
BRChiver

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
In some areas that how Dunbar packages their halves. I've had good luck with them. I see MWR boxes in 3 styles, cube, flat and brick. These are the brick boxes.

OP
OP
iontyre

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking my time with this (gone through 740 of the 1000 halves so far) so I can keep counts on what I find. No silver, but I did find two proofs (1992 and 2001) and two NIFC (2006D and 2009P). I'm now only missing the 1991D, 1993D, and 2001P of the circulated Kennedy halves. Hopefully they will show up in the last 12 rolls somewhere. Found the two proofs in consecutive rolls. You silver hounds wouldn't be happy, but I'm getting what I was after...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread