Google Book Search: A must task, A must read!!! :)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Many of you may already use this...some may not...so for those who don't know, try it...you'll love it!!!

OMG....the books available to read online are amazing! And what a great tool, especially for me in regards to genealogy. I found so many books I did not know about regarding my local area and the history....I have to work today, but tomorrow, I'm off and I'm going full force on reading these books and get all the genealogical data I can!!! YEAH!!!

Go to GOOGLE search engine....at the top left, you will see a menu...to the right, it will say MORE. Click on the arrow and a list will pop-up...click on BOOKS. Once that opens...type in your word(s)...like: Princess Anne County, stage coach roads, old towns, YOUR SURNAME, anything that you have an interest in! It will list all books with reference to Princess Anne County or whatever keyword you keyed in. And once you get the book up, mostly in the FULL VIEW...there will be a box to the right where you can type in a keyword and it will find all references to what you typed in that book you are viewing. If you want to go back to the main menu, click on GO at the top left of the screen where your original keyword is and it will bring you back to the main page or click your back button to go back to the last book search page you were on!

Now, under each title you will see: FULL VIEW, LIMITED PREVIEW, NO PREVIEW AVAILABLE, or SNIPPET VIEW.

The FULL VIEW will let you read and even download the book (PDF File) to read at your leisure! That is the one I look for.

I have found some books with the other views listed that I will see if my library has, if not, I'll see if I can purchase it.

I found this awesome place when trying to do some research on WADHAMS, COE & Co last night about the button hubby found this past weekend. I've been to this site many times, but never connected! LOL..silly me!

Anyways, why I think this would be a great tool to find some good spots to metal detect...while reading the book about the HISTORY OF TORRINGTON, CONNECTICUT....that book was written in...1898? Something like that...anyways...Asahel Coe, who was a partner with George D. Wadhams in the button business was still living when that book was written!!! It noted buildings, companies, where they were located, near or under or by bridges, what buildings were torn down, which ones were left empty...the people...so much history written in it's time. Then, if you have old maps...you can locate the place on the map!! Huh? That's what I'm talking about!!!

So, get out there, READ, READ and READ some more...reading is good....keeps the mind swirling with data!!! You never know what book you will find that will lead you to next amazing hunt!

Just had to share.....:)
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lonesomebob said:
AnnMarie(love that name) Thank you for this one Bob

Awwww thanks!

You are most welcomed....I'm searching now, instead of getting ready for work.... :tongue3:

Just typing in so many keywords....MAPS, family surnames, World War I and II, Genealogy, Family History of "surname", Genealogy of "surname", towns of my ancestors.....just having so much fun!

Already found one book where it list my great uncle, Cornelius Mulvey, who was a Central Park Cop (NYPD)...it listed where he lived (which matches the records I have researched through census records!), his salary, so much stuff. Only prob I have, there were two with this name, only a couple years apart in birth and both lived in the same city. And, to top it off, they both named two of their children the same and their wives were both MARY!!! So, I have to really read and research to make sure I have the right person....LOL!!!

Hope you have fun with this....and I hope you find lots of interesting items to read and research.
Annmarie
PS: you have a great name too...it's my grandfather's, my hubby's grandfather and father's and our sons' name!!! :) :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Oh my dear goodness Annemarie! :o I was SO not aware of that and it will help me so much with my research! Thank you a million times! ~hugs~

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cynangyl said:
Oh my dear goodness Annemarie! :o I was SO not aware of that and it will help me so much with my research! Thank you a million times! ~hugs~

You are so very welcomed!!! I hope you find lots of great books to help!

EVERYONE....post here and let us know if this helped you....and what interesting reads you found....I'll post more later tonight...I really have to get off my behind and get ready for work, even though I would love to sit here and research books!!! :thumbsup:

Have fun.....
Annmarie

PS: Remember, if you can't get full view....get the title, author, date of publishing (if avail) and see if your local library has the book first!!! (or any library in your area). If not, and you have a real interest in that book...it has a link on the right of the book you opened of where you could buy it...but first, I'll try my library! :wink:

And to see what I am talking about....type in the search engine: HISTORY OF TORRINGTON, CONNECTICUT and read that book...OMG....so much wonderful genealogical and historical items of interest in there....

Type in FORGOTTON TOWNS, FORGOTTEN TOWNS (both spellings will give you diff results), LOST TOWNS. Many of my searches did not come up with many FULL VIEWS...but maybe there will be a book relating to your area that you can check your local library for.....I did a search of METAL DETECTING....did not find one FULL VIEW!!!! But I am sure many would be great reading.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Ron and Ann said:
Cynangyl said:

EVERYONE....post here and let us know if this helped you....and what interesting reads you found....I'll post more later tonight...I really have to get off my behind and get ready for work, even though I would love to sit here and research books!!! :thumbsup:

Have fun.....
Annmarie

PS: Remember, if you can't get full view....get the title, author, date of publishing (if avail) and see if your local library has the book first!!! (or any library in your area). If not, and you have a real interest in that book...it has a link on the right of the book you opened of where you could buy it...but first, I'll try my library! :wink:

And to see what I am talking about....type in the search engine: HISTORY OF TORRINGTON, CONNECTICUT and read that book...OMG....so much wonderful genealogical and historical items of interest in there....

Type in FORGOTTON TOWNS, FORGOTTEN TOWNS (both spellings will give you diff results), LOST TOWNS. Many of my searches did not come up with many FULL VIEWS...but maybe there will be a book relating to your area that you can check your local library for.....I did a search of METAL DETECTING....did not find one FULL VIEW!!!! But I am sure many would be great reading.

i suspect you've been very busy :wink:

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
shaun7 said:
Ron and Ann said:
Cynangyl said:

Have fun.....
Annmarie

i suspect you've been very busy :wink:

Hey Shaun....I was typing in that surname you told me about...quite a few books on that as well. I was hoping to find some info.... give it a shot... still waiting on emails... hope one pans out good :thumbsup: and the info comes in!!!

Yes, very busy I have been... a busy little bee :wink:

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You MUST, if you love buttons, type in the search box:

gilt buttons (or) gilt button manufacturers

The results are amazing!!!

Here's one book written in 1899.... http://books.google.com/books?id=OJ...=2009&num=100&as_brr=1&as_pt=ALLTYPES#PPP1,M1

Awesome reading and a great learning!!!

You can also click on ADVANCED BOOK SEARCH (it's next to the text box at the top after you initially type in your keyword.... you can select to ONLY see FULL VIEW books! I love it better....

I'm having a blast with this...I hope you are too! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread