Goood e-Trac, Goood e-Trac, Button Hoard!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have been looking for 19th century uniform buttons for a couple of years but just couldn't find them. And then there was yesterday!!!

Got permission to hunt a field just north of Guyton, GA. Sherman's army assembled about 6 miles north for his final assault of Savannah, GA. About 15,000 troops marched through Guyton over a 10 day period. Most of the area is closed to MDing by the State but there are still a few farm fields by the RR tracks that can be hunted. This field has probably been hunted by hundreds of people over the years. Didn't think there would be much there but I had no other place to go. Kinda glad I went.

This is NOT an ad for the e-Trac by holy crap. 3 hours in the field and I pulled 4 South Carolina Palmetto buttons (may be CW or may be 1870 Militia) and a Standing Liberty Quarter all at about 8-10". Now I'm all for depth and sensitivity but I dug about 40 targets in the field and only the aluminum slaw was 4" or less. This machine may kill me.

Daryl

Attachments

• SCButtonFronts.jpg
    SCButtonFronts.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,163
  • SCButtonBack.jpg
    SCButtonBack.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,150
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great buttons! :thumbsup:

Closely comparing the backmarks to illustrations both in Tice's Dating Buttons and McGuinn & Bazelon's backmarks book, I believe that this is indeed a postwar mark, c. 1880's.

In any case, congratulations on another mighty fine find, Professor!

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I can relate BioProf I found 4 NC State Seal Staff Officer Buttons (3 in one hole and the other about 10 feet away) I was on cloud nine... then found the backmark was not used until 1870. They are still state militia buttons and they are very cool, just don't have the "history" of the war attached. They are still great looking buttons!

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 273

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Nice! Love those SC buttons. Too bad I'll never find one here on the left coast.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful recovery's Professor :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread