Gorgeous 1857 Flying Eagle, and I need a button expert!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great day today. On top of my first trime yesterday, I got my first FE cent today and it's has amazing detail and some mint luster on the obverse. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173111.990518.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173127.077094.jpgThe button is exciting too - I need an ID on that but I'm hoping 16th regiment. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173185.673728.jpgThis was a new 1703 house permission and it produced right off the bat. Ended up with flat buttons, 4 IHP, 2 pocket knives (1 silver plated), 2 small rings, a Merc, and another interesting coin. Philippine 10 centavos. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173219.021280.jpg. I think the coin was shot with a bullet. Here's the rest:ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173241.669337.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173251.260730.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173264.581807.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491173278.410232.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30
Awesome hunt,your on a roll.

Very Nice FE ! Not sure I would call the shine on the obverse " mint luster" but a great find anyway.

Excellent assortment of genuine treasure there. I ain't got no Flying Eagle yet. Can I have yours?:laughing7: It's very nice condition and one I hope to get before I go to that great treasure hunting ground in the sky. You have a nice old yard there. Gotta be more. HH mate.

Wow, what a beauty!! Definitely on my bucket list this year! Well sone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very very nice dug FE mint luster or not��

That button looks like a tack to me, but you didn't show the back of it. They used to number windows with tacks, so they could match up the storm windows every fall.

Sweet finds! Excellent coins. But I really like the silver plated knife.

Thanks for the bad news on the numbered piece. It is indeed a tack, dammit! Lol
I thought the coin met this definition (partly reflective) but maybe I'm way off.
lus·ter1

NOUN
a gentle sheen or soft glow, especially that of a partly reflective surface:
"the luster of the Milky Way" · [more]
synonyms: sheen · gloss · [more]
a thin coating containing unoxidized metal that gives an iridescent glaze to ceramics.

Looks like it was a great hunt, and that FE is in great shape. Congrats on your first.

Nice finds!! Incredible flying eagle!! Awesome detail, congrats and HH

Congrats on the FE! Looks like a nice hunt. Good looking coin. Always liked that design, wished they had made it longer, very hard to find. All of mine have come from a coin seller I used to deal with but he retired so now I have to hunt them.

Looks like you've good a great site there! I've never seen a better looking FE cent from the ground- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back