Got a balboa, not the rocky kind either.....

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Attachments

• balboa01.jpg
    balboa01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 308
  • balboa02.jpg
    balboa02.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Great find! Was it loose or in rolls? Does the coin actually have the fineness and weight on it? (on reverse)

Getting foreign silver coins always makes me think someone stuck this in a roll thinking, "Ha! I'm pulling one over on the bank ... suckers!"

-Brian

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one GF. I like the look of that desgin.

I picked one up in a box last year but not near as good looking as this one. Congrats!

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
That is a Panamanian coin. I use to live in Panama. Their money was made by the US.

Thanks
Cathy

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
The coin is actually a half (medio) Balboa, the size of a U.S. half dollar. These coins were (and, I believe, still are) minted in the U.S. on half dollar sized planchets. The 1962 half Balboa contains the same amount of silver as all .900 silver halves, and is worth about the same as common U.S. silver halves, although far fewer Balboas were minted in '62 than Franklin halves. Morgan dollars have a higher silver content than your coin, as would be expected. Panama, however, also issued silver Balboas, a larger coin than the half Balboa, which may have had more silver than Morgans...I forget. Panama still issues super large silver coins for collectors. Modern medio Balboas are of copper-nickel clad copper; no silver.

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
12.50 grams is the weight of a .900 silver U.S. half dollar, the same weight as the Panamanian half Balboa. U.S. silver dollars weigh around 27 grams.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Wow, I learned a bunch !!! Thanx for all the info, and PBK thinks he's a know-it-all ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread