Got a couple more and a silver ring!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Couldn't get out yesterday, but WC & I hit it today. I went back to the grove/field where I've found my last few silvers & a ton 'o' wheats. About 90 minutes into it, I found my first wheat of the day. :) That was a good sign. Not too far from that, I got another good signal. I thought I had a dime, but it turned out to be a sterling ring with a pearl. It's marked "Boyer" inside along with "Sterling". I checked and Merle N. Boyer has been making modernist jewelry in Honolulu since the 1950's. Cool! :thumbsup:

Within a few feet of that spot, I got an iffy signal. It seemed OK but not great swinging one way, but at 90 degrees if was real broken up. I was able to pinpoint a few targets in the area depending on which way I was moving the coil. One way there seemed to be a target right where I thought it should be. I screwed around swinging on that sucker for about five minutes, playing with it to see if it warranted the effort of digging it, or if it was just another piece of crap. After five minutes, I finally said "Dig it and get it over with so you can move on..." I'm glad I did. It was a very worn 1907 Barber dime!

Barber small.jpg

I kept checking the area, and within ten feet of that spot, I got another good signal. There was no doubt on this one. It was either a silver, or an unusually deep clad dime. I dug the plug and found a 1956 D Rosie!

Rosie small.jpg

Last year I found 18 silvers. I wanted to set a reachable goal for this year, and picked 50. An arbitrary number for sure. Well, the Barber was number 50 for me in '09. So I got a nice feeling of accomplishment during today's hunt. Some of you have found more, but 50 is a lot to me. I'd just like to say thanks all of you T-Netters for the inspiration, encouragement, and know-how that you share in your posts, PM's and in person!

Here's the goods!

Finds small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my finds, and HH to all! :wink:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on reaching your goal! Now off to Hawaii :laughing7:

3 silver day is a great day! Especially with a Barber dime to boot! That a way to hit 50...with some class.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
50 + and a Barber as #50 does it in style

I'll give you a happy fish for that:

:fish:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI kimsdad, you sure have been in some great digen spots lately .Congrats! :icon_thumright:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy 51st :thumbsup: (kinda sounds like a birthday doesn't it ;D)

It's time to start setting your sights on 75 :wink:

Super hunt :notworthy:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on reaching the goal....You have been on fire lately....ohhhh congrats on 51 too..
Now go out and find that old dog tag that you want....
and keep up the good job.....

Happy 51st (kinda sounds like a birthday doesn't it )

Mark we both know that he's older than that.... ;D ;D ;D

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
And a good 50 it's been. If I make it to 50 this year at the current Kimsdad/Lowbatts ratio, you'll have broken that century mark easily! Go get 'em!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOUR REALLY ON FIRE LATELY, WTG!

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
Congrats on meeting and surpassing this years goal. Cool ring to top it off too!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Makes you wonder how many keepers we walk right over and never stop to analyze the iffy signals. Congrats on hitting 50 with a Barber Neil !!!
Nice ring too! :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Congrats on your 50 Neil!
That's a lot of silver and the seasons not even close to over yet. It's funny because I bet a lot of us hear will circle a potential target for 5 mins or more trying to figure it out when we can cut a plug in less than 30 seconds. Must be our nature... :tongue3:
Mike

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikewaz said:
That's a lot of silver and the seasons not even close to over yet. It's funny because I bet a lot of us hear will circle a potential target for 5 mins or more trying to figure it out when we can cut a plug in less than 30 seconds. Must be our nature... :tongue3:
Mike
How true and how funny....

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Neil, I know how you feel about last year vs. this year. I couldn't find silver last year to save my life, and now it's all I want to find and hardly dig anything else. It's called, dialed in... into your metal detector and researching sites. Now if we could get some rain!

Big congrats on your 50+ coin year so far! Have you decided to shoot for 75 or 100 now? :)

I think I might go for 100. ;D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Great job on the silver dimes! I've never dug a worn thin Barber dime that didn't ring up as a zinc cent...must be from the thin nature of the coins, and depth. The thin Barber quarter I dug recently rang up as a bouncy penny, never even got close to quarter range- and it was only four inches down.

Joe

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Kimsdad

Congratulations on Your 50th silver coin for the year...Kimsdad..........You can still reach 100.......But I have figured it takes me 4 hours hunting for one silver on the average..Some rare days you can get 2-5.....Most other days you'll get skunked////////If you set your sites on 100 silver for the year........You should be prepaired to hunt 4-500 more hours..
Good Luck and H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread