Got a good lead on some caches but.......

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
My minister told me about a place I should go detect.The man who lived there would bury his money.Didn't trust the banks.The minister told me he could get me in there to detect but he wants a part of anything I find.This just doesn't sit right with me.I'd like to detect it but I don't want to split the goodies found,if any.This is an old place.On the other hand I wonder if I'm just being greedy.How do or would you handle a situation like this?

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mark said I agree. When a landowner gives me permission to hunt a site and asks I give them some of what is found. I have even given a nice shiny old coin now and again even when not asked. It usually gets me return permission.

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I'd go for the split. Besides, you will be the only one who knows for sure what you actually find. :wink:

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I am with the relys here... We all pay for information in one way or another.... its life...

50 % of something is how much more than 100% of nothing ?

Besides if your love this hobby, the journey is the journey... and the stories and memories you have afterwards... Depends on your love... the hobby or the payout... don't get me wrong... we all love/enjoy finding goodies... enjoy the journey and split out what you find :-)

JMHO...Paul

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sow a seed give to the heavenly father :thumbsup:

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
OH NO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE UP A COIN WHAT A SHAME YOU BETTER RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard:

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
LET SAY YOU FIND $100.00 IN COIN IF IT WASNT FOR THE mINISTER THEN WOULD YOU HAVE FOUND THEM. i love how a lot of people here are so dishonest.
yes i said dishonest and i will say it again dishonest.so bad to have to give a coin up i found it WWWWAAAAAAA better go cry to mama someone wants my coin but i found if it wasnt for him i wouldnt have found it but i found it it must be mine i must keep every coin i find i might even bury it so noone can find it but me it is my coin my coin i found it it is mine did you heart me i found it with your help but it is my coin i found it you helped me but i found it it must be my coin i want all my coins it is my coin it must be i found it it is my coin

OP
OP
K

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
Yes you are all right.I'm being greedy.The minister drives a fuel delivery truck for a living.Small church,small flock.Now it's time to see if it's true.Did this guy really bury his money and can I find it?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
it feels good to give. believe me, with 25 years fire and paramedic service. volunteer no less. but, does he want it for him-self or the flock? ask this question and if he doesn't announce it at service, you should. i would have no shame. bill

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FooserPaul said:
I am with the relys here... We all pay for information in one way or another.... its life...

50 % of something is how much more than 100% of nothing ?

JMHO...Paul

Come Sunday it is 10% to the collection plate and...
50% to the padre?....he charges more than God!

Seriously though, I am wondering why the minister didn't want to join in on the adventure himself...driving a fuel truck...sounds like an ordinary, able-bodied man. Kickback, what is up with him? And the man who buried the money...did he leave any family; because if he did, do you have to pay a percentage to them, too? If the man left no relatives, maybe a little research will reveal the location and whether permission is needed. Just gives me a bit of an uneasy feeling...is the minister getting permission for you because someone trusts him? Is there some little old lady in a nursing home who told this story and will she ever know that her property was hunted? Maybe I'm just ... hmmmm.

diggindeep

Oct 4, 2006
either the minister comes along for the work or i would give him umm below "50 percent" lol how does he know what u find?

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Tell him you'll donate his share to the church, or that he can keep all the clad coins.

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Split it with him if you find anything. 50 % is better than nothing, which is what you would have had if he didn't tell you about this place.
He provided you with the information and the location. In my book, he just earned his half.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
A split is way better than a kick in the stones!! Look at the bright side, you give a some, you get some...everyone wins...you get to hunt an old spot, and with a little show of faith, you get to come back, or better yet, open the door to other opportunities...
HH
Baggins

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kickback doesn't want to share with the person who gave him the lead???? Damn, talk about greedy.......

Why in the world does it matter to so many people what the guy does for a living? So he's a preacher. Would you feel better if he was a plumber? or maybe unemployed? Hell, if he has an excellent lead and can get you permission to go into the area, then make the deal. Caches of old money could have high face value AND higher collectors' values. If you trust him as a reliable information source, then go for it. If you don't trust him, then do your own investigation into WHO owns the property and if there is; as one person said, an elderly person who could use the money. If you find out there IS an elderly person involved, then confront the preacher and ask him directly if he's trying to ripoff the oldster. And, if you DO reach an agreement with him, then keep it. Don't try to rip him off, as was suggested by a previous poster. A damned thief is a damned thief no matter how you try to candycoat it. Don't be one.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I would agree to it and hunt the place. In reality you probably wont find a big cache (sorry, not being negative just realistic). Would it really be worth the hard feelings if you hunted it without the "agreement" and then didn't find anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread