Got a great deal on a used Vaq on eBay

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing all about Tesoros woes I pulled the trigger on a used black Vaquero on eBay. BIN was $335 + $15 to ship. After several automatic offer rejections we settled on $320 for a total of $335 after shipping.
The detector arrived on December 31st. Not a scratch on it. Not even so much as a scuff on the bottom of the 11×8 coil. Installed a battery and it fired right up making it's sweet analog music. Can't wait to take it out for a spin!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck with the new machine! :occasion14:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved mine! I had to get it down to two machines, so settled with the Deus and the Cibola. I had a Vaquero, but the Cibola has sentimental value as it found almost all of my shipwreck coins and my first gold coin.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome deal on a machine loved by so many.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding machine! It will serve you well.:occasion14:

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My vaquero is my sentimental machine. Like your first bike.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My vaquero is my sentimental machine. Like your first bike.

They are a great machine! Been one of my favorites!

But now .. I would not trade my Pirate Black Devil Pro 2 for it! :hello:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm feeling ya! I just got a new Nox 800, but since I had a windfall, was looking to get a Tesoro as backup due to their reliability and robust rep. I actually found an almost new Mojave all the way back in Kansas City where I used to live (now I'm in middle Georgia). Thought at first it was the small shop in north KC, but was another hobbyist who was thinning the closet. I got the Mojave and extra coil for $250 shipped. It came in the original box still wrapped and all the paperwork. I am thinking about selling the Nox since they'll be around for the next decade and I can get one later if wanted. Great to hear of your find and happy hunting!!

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are a great machine! Been one of my favorites!

But now .. I would not trade my Pirate Black Devil Pro 2 for it! :hello:

PLEASE give a deteailed account of how the black devil 2 pro performs against the vaquero! Is it opening up your old sites? Isn’t 2 tone just amazing? I’m very torn between Pirate and deeptech.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
PLEASE give a deteailed account of how the black devil 2 pro performs against the vaquero! Is it opening up your old sites? Isn’t 2 tone just amazing? I’m very torn between Pirate and deeptech.

Although I am still learning what all the machine can do and what all it is trying to tell me, here are my thoughts on Pirate Black Devil Pro 2 so far. Like I mentioned earlier, this machine is like a hyped up version of my old Troy Shadow X5 detector. The first thing I noticed was how sensitive this machine is, even on the tiniest little objects .. way more so than either the Vaquero and Mojave. I guess that could be bad or good depending on what your hunting habits are, but I like that and am impressed with that capability. In other ways, I find that it and the Vaquero are kinda similar, but I find the Pro 2 goes much deeper than my Tesoro did. I have been hunting with a fellow detectorist who uses a Deus, and have no problem saying the Black Devil Pro 2 holds it own against his machine. I like to run mine just on the line of being stable and unstable, so you have to be alert to the tones. I am still learning what it is saying, but having two tones is awesome! I also found that I can swing it a bit faster than the Tesoro without missing anything. I do think the Tesoro may hold an edge discriminating out large iron, but since I pretty much dig everything, that doesn’t bother me. I am not real thrilled about the battery set up if you have to change them, so I would definitely recommend investing in good rechargeable AA batteries. They will not ship batteries to the US so you will have to buy them yourself.You will also need to buy a European to US plug adapter for the Pro charger which does come with the detector.

Attachments

• blkpir2.jpg
    blkpir2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing all about Tesoros woes I pulled the trigger on a used black Vaquero on eBay. BIN was $335 + $15 to ship. After several automatic offer rejections we settled on $320 for a total of $335 after shipping.
The detector arrived on December 31st. Not a scratch on it. Not even so much as a scuff on the bottom of the 11×8 coil. Installed a battery and it fired right up making it's sweet analog music. Can't wait to take it out for a spin!

A very good detector, those Vaqueros!
If you haven’t already read or thought about other coils - you need - a 5.75 concentric for it too.. ^_^
The 5.75 concentric is hands down, the best coil Tesoro made for very trashy areas.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very good detector, those Vaqueros!
If you haven’t already read or thought about other coils - you need - a 5.75 concentric for it too.. ^_^
The 5.75 concentric is hands down, the best coil Tesoro made for very trashy areas.

Today I hit a trashy dozed home site and a couple old yards. Used the vaquero with 5.75 (most reliable setup I have) also used the Eldorado with the 12x10 concentric and the 7” widescan. Yep 5.75 is king. That 7” widescan was destroying me in foil and aluminum. It would disc out at zinc!! What!?! Lots of emi in town today, but also notice the 7” having fits over bits of thin flat rusty crusty iron. Harder to ID on the dd. Monte was right....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions