Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i swear i must have the worst luck out of anyone else on this site. well its not stopping me. i went to a park yesterday that i have frequented off and on in the last month or so. and i have seen the same "park guy" worker or what ever almost everytime i have been out there. i have seen him he has seen me and that's the end of it. well yesterday i just so happend to forget my wallet at the house since i live right down the road. and what did i forget my stupid detecting permit that is required by the county i live in to detect in city parks. well long story short if you don't have this permit you can be fined up to $250 and have your equipment confiscated. well this guy comes up right as i was digging up a dime, i think and asked me to see it. i of course had no problem showing it knowing that i have one. well i realized my wallet wasn't in my pocket and i had left it at home. crap! I'm thinking well i told him i had one and i just forgot it and this A hole actually wrote me a ticket. for $75.00 i started to argue with him that i lived down the street and he could follow me to the house and i would show it to him. nope wouldn't do that either. he told me all i had to do was go to court and show that my permit was current on the day i got the ticket and they would drop the fine. so now i have to take a day out off of work to deal with this crap. i think this is just criminal. what do you think.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
JoeinReno said:
i swear i must have the worst luck out of anyone else on this site. well its not stopping me. i went to a park yesterday that i have frequented off and on in the last month or so. and i have seen the same "park guy" worker or what ever almost everytime i have been out there. i have seen him he has seen me and that's the end of it. well yesterday i just so happend to forget my wallet at the house since i live right down the road. and what did i forget my stupid detecting permit that is required by the county i live in to detect in city parks. well long story short if you don't have this permit you can be fined up to $250 and have your equipment confiscated. well this guy comes up right as i was digging up a dime, i think and asked me to see it. i of course had no problem showing it knowing that i have one. well i realized my wallet wasn't in my pocket and i had left it at home. crap! I'm thinking well i told him i had one and i just forgot it and this A hole actually wrote me a ticket. for $75.00 i started to argue with him that i lived down the street and he could follow me to the house and i would show it to him. nope wouldn't do that either. he told me all i had to do was go to court and show that my permit was current on the day i got the ticket and they would drop the fine. so now i have to take a day out off of work to deal with this crap. i think this is just criminal. what do you think.

carry the permit... ;)

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh i always do i just forgot it that one day

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Let me get this straight. You have to have a permit? I would be moving out of that area. I feel for buddy.
Better go dig some more to pay for the time away from work.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Fishin Dale said:
Let me get this straight. You have to have a permit? I would be moving out of that area. I feel for buddy.

that's the ridiculous part about it, the permit is free and good for three years. that's what makes no sense why make someone get a permit if the city gains nothing by it they actually loose money because they have to pay for the paper

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
JoeinReno said:
Dirt Fishin Dale said:

that's the ridiculous part about it, the permit is free and good for three years. that's what makes no sense why make someone get a permit if the city gains nothing by it they actually loose money because they have to pay for the paper

they do not lose money...if you are stopped and did not get the permit...you pay the fine ;)

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats true i didnt think of that

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
It is a drag, but it doesn't seem unfair to me. If they want you to have a permit and carry it, then those are the rules. At least they allow MD'ing. I understand you forgot it, but at least you have a way of getting out of the fine (by bringing the permit to court). I do agree that he/she could have given you a few minutes to retrieve the permit and show it to him/her to avoid the problem and ticket. No such thing as community-oriented-policing in your area apparently.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry the permit.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I am confused. Was the park guy a police officer or what? I'm wondering about the authority of the park crews where you work?!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Come to think of it, he had to be a squirrel ranger. Real cops got better things to do that give you a ticket for MDing without a license.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have my sympathy, but the "carry the permit" responses do pretty well cover it. Unfortunately in instances of this type so much depends on the individual you encounter. I've had a couple of similar. One was an employee who told me to go ahead, but be sure to cover any holes (always do) the boss would say no, but he's gone for two weeks. The other went on about digging tools in loose sand for Pete's sake and if anything found was worth over $25 it had to be turned in to the office, bla, bla. Checked this one later and it wasn't official at all. So you just never know. Some people just love to throw a little authority around.
HH
Bill

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah petty nitpicking pocket $$ picking rules time -- the reason you need a "permit" the better to fine you with -- if you dig large holes or anything else "they" don't like -- let me see your "permit" ---thus they the can legally make you "tell me" who you are -- if no permit was required -- they pester you --who are ? buzz off you could say -- via the show me "your" permit --they have the "power" to question you and fine you thus both giving them power and possibly your money -- for something that should be free of "paperwork" and hassles.--- but since you gotta have it carry it. dem da rules you let em pass --so you gotta live with them (or get em changed)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joecoin said:
Make his life hell.

I wouldn't go that far, and I wouldn't cause a big stink about it. At least the permit is free. Just go and get the fine removed. No big deal, end of story. After all, this dude saw you there on several other occasions and didn't even ask to see the permit. He obviously wasn't out to get ya. But he'll probably ask for it the next time he sees you, so make sure you carry it.

Buckleboy

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
No biggie. You might even be able to just go to the City Court Clerk's office and show them the permit. They probably have the authority to dismiss the case but if not, just take the time off and show the judge. If legal, make a copy of the permit and put it in the glove box. I assume where you and the detector goes, the car goes.

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Don't feel bad; at least you have a real job. Maybe he was just upset cause there wasn't any loaf pinching puppies to pounce on that day.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Carry the Permit! Carry a copy in your glovebox, too. HH

Desertfox

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You forgot the permit and now to get the fine excused you need to show you have a permit. Produce the permit to get the fine wavered. It is the same as forgetting your drivers license, big no no, and this isn't excused. Or deer hunting without a license.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread