SHERMANVILLE

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the permits are free why not get as many as detectors you have and tape the to your machine..

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, you are not the most unlucky person on this site, as I was recently given a written warning after detecting in a forest preserve AFTER I called and was told on the phone that permits are no longer required. I took that to mean it was OK to detect. Turns out that I was misinformed..you can detect, as long as long as you are looking for property that you lost. You are not allowed to detect for "lost/abandoned" property, and you are not allowed to dig. What kind of sense does that make? At least you are allowed to dig with a permit, although I think that cop was being a jerk..and doesn't a written warning mean that you don't have to pay a fine unless you get caught without your permit for a second time? That's not a written warning, that's a violation! I guess you are pretty unlucky-at least I didn't have to pay a fine or take time off from work..you have my sympathy.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
JoeinReno said:
that's the ridiculous part about it, the permit is free and good for three years. that's what makes no sense why make someone get a permit if the city gains nothing by it they actually loose money because they have to pay for the paper

They have the same system here, and I think it's a good way to have some control. While the permits are free and last a year, at least they have the ability to kick someone off who doesn't have a permit and is messing up the park lawns or the ability to deny a person who screws things up a permit. The park rangers here are cool and I've never had a problem with them. I see it as a good thing that they have some authority........I know that if they see someone not covering their holes they have that option of going up to them and asking to see the permit, or taking their name down to get their permits taken. This works to protect everyone. You can get away with detecting without a permit here, so long as you're being neat. The rangers go by, see you and say nothing. But the minute someone is out there with a huge shovel in the middle of the lawn or making a mess, I guarantee you, they will be asking to see the permit. It's their only tool to take care of the grounds.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
They have heard every sorry excuse in the world for why 'person A' can't provide the credentials they are supposed to have to do 'activity B'.

You should have had your permit. Goto court show it to the judge, and get off with a slap on the hand and a snarling at to carry it with you. You got off easy, he could have just as easily nailed you for the full $250.

Try calling the courthouse, if it's an 'official' piece of paper, chances are theres a copy somewhere, you might be able to fax it or something and avoid the court date, or go back to him, show him and he can withdrawl the ticket if he feels like it. ... Depending on your attitude.

good luck in court.

Aaron

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JoeinReno said:
i swear i must have the worst luck out of anyone else on this site. well its not stopping me. i went to a park yesterday that i have frequented off and on in the last month or so. and i have seen the same "park guy" worker or what ever almost everytime i have been out there. i have seen him he has seen me and that's the end of it. well yesterday i just so happend to forget my wallet at the house since i live right down the road. and what did i forget my stupid detecting permit that is required by the county i live in to detect in city parks. well long story short if you don't have this permit you can be fined up to $250 and have your equipment confiscated. well this guy comes up right as i was digging up a dime, i think and asked me to see it. i of course had no problem showing it knowing that i have one. well i realized my wallet wasn't in my pocket and i had left it at home. crap! I'm thinking well i told him i had one and i just forgot it and this A hole actually wrote me a ticket. for $75.00 i started to argue with him that i lived down the street and he could follow me to the house and i would show it to him. nope wouldn't do that either. he told me all i had to do was go to court and show that my permit was current on the day i got the ticket and they would drop the fine. so now i have to take a day out off of work to deal with this crap. i think this is just criminal. what do you think.

Carry your permit, BUT write the mayor, the concilmen, and anyone else you can think of...That is a crock having to have a permit....

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
better a permit than just saying NO you can't period. Many parks are off limits, if this one is letting you, but you just have to let them know who you are, not that terribly a big deal imho especially if you don't have to pay for the permit.

Im sure ill get screamed at by the .. I own this country the land is free for my pillaging whenever I want crowd but bottom line. they do have to keep an eye on it, and keeping track of who's allowed to dig or 'work' on it is not asking a heck of a lot.

Aaron

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i went to court yesterday, at least the court date was speedy. when i talked to the judge he looked at the fine and snickered, he looked at me and lightly laughing the whole time asked do you have the permit i said yes, showed it to him he looked at it and he suspended the fine and told me the same thing a couple people told me to do, tape the permit to the detector. so i wont forget it. that's when he said "that's what i do with mine" i wanted to laugh but i was in a court room. anyway everything went good and i got back to work without missing to much time. :D

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
JoeinReno said:
well i went to court yesterday, at least the court date was speedy. when i talked to the judge he looked at the fine and snickered, he looked at me and lightly laughing the whole time asked do you have the permit i said yes, showed it to him he looked at it and he suspended the fine and told me the same thing a couple people told me to do, tape the permit to the detector. so i wont forget it. that's when he said "that's what i do with mine" i wanted to laugh but i was in a court room. anyway everything went good and i got back to work without missing to much time. :D

The more people in high places that MD the better!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not worth digging clad with a permit

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly. It's your fault. You know the rules. If he saw you there a thousand times but never checked your permit before then I see no problem giving you a ticket.

If he had seen you there a lot, and checked your permit before, and gave you a ticket anyway, I'd say he's an a-hole.

I don't think it's right to call this guy out about doing his job. Carry the permit.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Last time I was south of Reno, I got a $350 ticket for
"not dimming my headlights SOON ENOUGH".
There seem to be some power hungry, ticket writers in your area.
I could have flown back from Maryland to fight it.....but whatever.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Kas said:
Honestly. It's your fault. You know the rules. If he saw you there a thousand times but never checked your permit before then I see no problem giving you a ticket.

If he had seen you there a lot, and checked your permit before, and gave you a ticket anyway, I'd say he's an a-hole.

I don't think it's right to call this guy out about doing his job. Carry the permit.

Perfectly said...honesty guys/gals this is a hobby where I think we all want to be respected....following the rules seems to be #1 in this hobby so we can go back... ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
JoeinReno said:

Joe one mistake...you should have taken detector in trunk...after court and detected a little...my first thought is always..ok where can I detect around there??? ??? But Joe with permit in wallet of course! :D

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know you have to have a permit to detect on oregon beaches and oreon parks
the permit is free, and thenn they say if you find any coins and stuff you have to turn them in for 90 days to see if anyone wants to claim them...LOL PLEASE
i was talking to the parks worker at thier office while getting my permit and she said
i had to have a permit to detect on the beach as well.
I told her not to argue but i happen to know that if you find something on a beach its yours.
thats the law. also its against the law to deney any access to the beach in oregon anywhere
even private property.
so i politly told her it wouldnt be nessesary for her to give me a permit to hunt the beach.
i told her if i want to hunt on the beach thats my right, if they dont like it too bad
if they give me a ticket ill have them in court. thats why i pay my pre paid legal.
Besides parks guys cant write tickets in oregon.

its not that im being an arss its just the fact of the matter.

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
dudes it is called over regulating. it is crap, it is happening more and more these days, you need permits for this and a liscence for that. it is getting sad really. people are getting to worried about getting sued, people are getting to worried about safety. and i think it has alot to do with the governments trying to please everyone, and the fact is that you cant please everyone. there will always be somone who will get offended. so all us nice people have to pay the price for all the "other people" complaining and worrying.

anyways thats my opinion ;D

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
we have a free permit for here in Missouri for just a few parks. i have the permit but never go to these parks but i do carry this permit just incase someone asks for it.theres tons of free places togo to MD and nobody ever bothers you!

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
I think if I had to have a permit I would fold that little fella up and put it in the battery compartment of the MD. No way to forget having it then. ;D

Happy Hunting everyone. Joe sorry for the ticket hassle. It would really piss me off too! Glad you didn't miss too much work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread