Got asked to leave yesterday...

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
I'll soon be 73 years old, been using detectors since 1969, and had my very first run-in with "authority" yesterday. At a public park that once was a high school location. In broad daylight & stone sober!

I was told that he'd been sitting in his truck & watched my last 2 recoveries, and that I filled my holes OK, but "we have a law against metal detecting within the city limits". I said I was sorry, I don't live here, there are no signs, and after 40+ years of coin recovery I've never had any trouble working public parks.

Then he tells me they've had this city law "about 40 years". This dude couldn't have been over 35, had driven his F250, with the town's decal on it, across the grass about 100 yards to get to me, blow the horn to get my attention, and now he's BSing me!

I just smiled, said thank you very much...or words to that effect...& walked over to my truck.

Worst of it was, I'd been there about an hour & a half & only pulled 3 targets. Somebody has worked it to death! Rode up the road to a location I found on my GPS & kicked some serious clad butt! :headbang: I WIN!

Cheers, DR

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Ain't worth the hassle arguing with "jobsworths"! (Comes from those type of guys always saying "it's more than my jobs worth to let this go on").
If it's a decent site then you can find out if he's right or get permission from the town/city/state etc and wave it in his face when you go back, but if not then just move on to the next site.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the Boy Scouts motto says, "Be Prepared". Once you have already started advancing in age, bring an old deed, it doesn't matter what the copy of the deed says, you stick to your guns that this is your land and you're prospecting on it. Always play the confused card and then start mentioning several past presidents that you believe are still running the show. Dollars to donuts, he'll let you walk with little grief :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm willing to bet there's no city-wide rule that says no detecting. And CERTAINLY not for "40 yrs." now. In 1971, detecting was still almost an oddity in most places. Machines were crude and didn't go deep at all. In fact, even in some protected monument type places (CW battlefields, and other such sensitive sites that you'd be in trouble for nowadays), that people helped themselves in those days, and no one really cared. Either there were no rules, or no one morphed the heritage stuff to apply, as it was still just an oddity, at that time.

So I have a very hard time believing that any city had a law or rule in 1971.

And bear in mind too, that if a city does have such a rule, it would only apply to city property, not private property in that city.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back to the city hall and find out for sure if there is a ban or not then, if it is a no, I would get a paper with written permission on it from city hall and go back to the exact spot where you was detecting and slap it in his punk little face and then see what happens!!!

OP
OP
BARGuy

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Mikey likes that!!

I regularly ask to see/talk with a superior in the business world, but hadn't considered it for these occasions. Course, this is the first time it's been an issue.

Thanx! :headbang:

Carbin

Apr 25, 2011
I would get a paper with written permission on it from city hall and go back to the exact spot where you was detecting and slap it in his punk little face and then see what happens!!!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It worked out in your favor since you found a better hunting spot but I hate guys like that. I would have made his day a little less boring for him by dragging him through as many hoops as I could find at city hall. It's amazing what a little authority will change a person into.

HH Charlie

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Carbin said:
Tom_in_CA said:
I'm willing to bet there's no city-wide ipad 2 Chargers rule that says no detecting. And CERTAINLY not for "40 yrs." now. In 1971, detecting was still almost an oddity in most places. Machines were crude and didn't go deep at all. In fact, even ipad 2 folio cases in some protected monument type places (CW battlefields, and other such sensitive sites that you'd be in trouble for nowadays), that people helped themselves in those days, and no one really cared. Either there were no rules, or no ipad 2 Screen Protector one morphed the heritage stuff to apply, as it was still just an oddity, at that time.

So I have a very hard time believing that any city had a law or rule in 1971.

And bear in mind too, that if a city does have such a rule, it would only apply to city property, not private property in that city.

I would get a paper with written permission on it from city hall and go back to the exact spot where you was detecting and slap it in his punk little face and then see what happens!!!
So is it Tom in Ca or Carbin who has a program that's installing spam links into the text ? I suspect it's the fng but that's just a guess..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread