Got Lucky Today.......

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my dump bank this morning to cash in so I could start fresh on Monday. This coin counter is a free service to anyone. Several branches with these in them. This bank does not buy coins from the Feds because everyone uses these machines to cash in so no need to buy from the Fed...they get plenty. They told me it saves them money in the long run.

Anyway, while I was running the coins through the coin counter I started wondering about dimes and quarters.
I tried dimes last week and found a few but never tried quarters...figured I would be wasting my time. Well, it got the best of me today so I bought 2 boxes of dimes and a box of quarters.

I checked the quarters first and I'll be darned if I didn't find 2 silver quarters....59-D & 44-D.....wahoooo.....my first silver quarters from CRH'ing! Naturally, now I have to try another box. The two boxes of dimes held 3 silver dimes.

Attachments

• P6300018.jpg
    P6300018.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn LJ I've been through 3- 500.00 bags and a dozen boxes and have yet to find 1 silver quarter. Did get 4 or 5 out of tellers coin holders. saw them shining up at me and calmly asked can I buy 4.00 in loose quarters, and I think he noticed the sound of them as he counted them out! LOL He parted with them anyway!

congrats, Lets see more!!!!!!!

CR

oldred

Jan 21, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber
Great going LJ! Everything you touch turns to silver. I've tried a few boxes of dimes and only found one. I tried three boxes of quarters and all skunks. Maybe I'll try again and see what happens.

OP
OP
LJ

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CR & OR. That is why the subject line has the word "Lucky" in it......I feel very lucky after reading so many post about quarters having the least success.

I may never find another one but at least I have two......yeah baby!!!

BTW CR...I always get on my tippy toes and peek into the trays myself but have never found a silver quarter....did eyeball a silver dime once.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Wow!
I think I see a new trend - no silver is safe in Louisiana!!
Good score!
Congratulations!

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, another 3 dime box? I've tried a few and best I do is 1 a box. The quarters are just unbelievable. You are the right person in the right place at the right time.

Guess that means you are "lucky". ;)

HH.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Years ago I used to see silver in the trays at banks OFTEN. Even in the 80s. I took what i found, but never made it a habit to look TOO hard.

Now that I have found CRH (Thanks to you guys!) I look more fervently. But, nothing so far.

I'm hoping that being near Sun City and Sun City West will eventually bring me to a day when someone just turned in some rolls that are ALL silver. But, I have been getting BOXES, and they ORDER those. So, I think I'm going to experiment with getting LESS than a box. See if they take them from their own drawers instead, and maybe I can get some good rolls. :-)

We'll see.

So far not much found. A few 40% and a lot of pre 1982 pennies. (7 wheats this week, but all I did was pennies) My halves have been VERY disappointing. But, I find that the harder I work, the "luckier" I get. :-) And being creative helps, so that's why I'll order less than boxes and see if I get some silver laced self rolled rolls.

John

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
yeah .whenever u cant get halves go for dimes. i would pass on quarters though unless u r lookin to start savin the earleir state issues. a silver dime is small and can sneak past most people because of size.almost every one will notice a siver quarter though.

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
I've got 4....yes 4 silver quarters and thats it. I tried lucking
thru some rolls during my drought, but that was worse than
the halves.
WTG LJ!!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tw656 said:
No not Luck, location, location and location.

Just so its clear....location, location, location.... ;D

The silver halves are no fluke...I am sure all other denom's are also better in LJ's area. Must just be less collectors.

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
You got the touch girl! I would try a box of each for few weeks just to test the water. You may be onto something there! Congrats!

Mark

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That's sweet. I've been through 42,160 quarters this summer and have found 5. They hardly ever turn up, but personally I think checking a couple of boxes of week is worth the thrill of finding one (plus I have loads of Canadian quarters that I'm still looking for). I found 2 in one box once as well. Unfortunately I haven't found one in about a month.

-Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread