Got me a Minelab Excalibur 1000 Today

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Sry I can't be of assistance, but I wanted to say Congrats!

Very nice machine. I'd like to try one, myself.

Hope you find a ton of gold!

Best,
rmptr

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use two different settings on my 1000, depending on what beaches I am hunting.

On beaches with a lot of trash (and I don't fell like digging every piece of garbage):

Pinpoint/Discriminate: Discriminate

Threshold: Up until tone is barely heard

Volume: All the way up

Sensitivity: turn all the way counterclockwise (until it clicks), then turn it back to just after the click

Discrimination: 4 or 5

On clean beaches, or when I don't mind digging a bunch of junk:

Pinpoint/Discriminate: Pinpoint (it's effectively an all-metal mode)

Threshold: Up until tone is barely heard

Volume: All the way up

Sensitivity: Halfway

Discriminate: Doesn't matter as the discriminate function is off in Pinpoint Mode.

Good Luck

Best-Mike

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Only had my machine for about 2 months, but here is what I have learned.

Primarily, I run sensitivity in Auto. There are times it falses a lot, and I have to turn the knob clockwise until the chatter disappears. Usually this is in the surf zone, and a sens setting of 4 to 6 will run smoothly. In the water, or completely out of the water, and you can run the sens a little higher. The water rushing over the coil seems to drive it crazy.

As for the other knobs:
I never use pinpoint. Ever, and if you learn the pinpoint trick, you wont either. When you hit a target, wave the coil over it and move the coil away from you, or closer to you. Try to center on the spot that is the loudest as you do this, and when the sound disappears, move it back until you first here it. Once that happens, the target will be directly under the edge of the coil.
Threshold should be loud enough to sound like a mosquito in your ear.
Volume all the way up
Sense - see above
Discriminate: I keep this at the lowest setting. I have had some nice finds from very low tones. 2 pieces of gold come to mind - they sounded like can slaw, very very low sounds. As you learn the machine, you will learn the different tones.

Hope this helps. I am sure the folks that have used it more will harass me for using AUTO sens, but all my gold came from auto. Cant seem to find any with the knob moved away. :dontknow:
Anthony

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Excalibur 1000 for almost 3 years now. I can tell you if you leave the threshold with a hum it will be giving you feed back noise in the water. The waves and as you move deeper will cause a lot of chirping when you leave the threshold with a hum. That's why so many sell theirs or send them back to Minelab, they just love to leave it with that loud hum. Last week a gentleman walked up to me at the beach with his Excalibur 1000 saying he was ready to throw it in the garbage. I took a look at it, moved his threshold over to where it could barely be heard, or just a little bit on the silent side. He was happy and surprised that it went from chirping like a bird to completely silent until he hit a good target.

I move volume to loud enough to be heard well, if the volume isn't high enough you might miss a deep target that will be on the quiet side.

Play with the sensitivity when you learn the machine well. Most leave it a little above AUTO. I don't like playing with the settings much so I leave mine in AUTO. I also leave my digital camera in AUTO just like a majority of the population.

I leave mine in discriminate because I don't care about digging bobby pins. Some people like to dig those and also sparkler wires, so if you like to dig those type of things than pinpoint mode is good. ;D If you are in an area that doesn't have junk, it might be worth it to leave it in pin point.

Again, if you don't want to be disappointed from the start with your Excalibur, don't leave your threshold with a hum.

With all honesty, you will need to practice with yours to find the perfect setting for your conditions.

You bought an excellent machine that will find treasure if it is there.

Scratch

Aug 29, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber 1000
Most excellent! I wanted to compare notes with other Excal users, too!
I use mine in 'disc' mode until I have a likely target, then switch to 'pinpoint' (I actually can pinpoint pretty well). I set the discrimination scale at about 9 to 11 on a trashy area. Still get the occasional can slaw and anodized whatsits.
I work it with the sensitivity in the 'auto' mode most of the time. The threshold barely audible and the volume at about 1/2 up the scale.
I think the instability (feedback noise) when entering or leaving the surf might be the metallic salts being washed over the top and underneath the coil. Just thinkin' out loud there.
I have to carry my sand scoop behind my back or the signal will blow my eardrums inboard.
From what I've read so far, settings seem to be largely a matter of personal preference. I need more practice, but I'm beginning to trust the signal sounds that keep me from digging every pull tab on the beach.
I know you'll get a charge out of it. I do, even if I don't find gold.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the new 1000 your gonna love it ,, ad welcome to Tnet,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Guzz1

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
the Ex 1000 is a great machine. i agree with running the threshold so that it is silent, or just barely audible. I always use disc at 1, volume cranked all the way up, and set sensitivity on auto. Works get in the water. On land, I also set volume on highest as those deep targets are sometimes the oldies. Around picnic tables i turn the dicr up so i dont pick up all the bottle caps. Have fun with your machine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set my sense any where between Auto to about 3 o'clock position, it depends on the beach conditions, I set it till it is stable.

I set the threshold to where I can not hear it, then back it up so it is just barely audiable.

I use no disc, at all most times, many gold targets will report in the same area as some poptops, I would rather dig a hundred poptops, then skip that nice gold ring...

I set my volume to max, I want it to make me jump when it goes off.............

If you don't have a straight shaft get one. I also very highly recommend a harness, I can swing my Excall all day with a harness with no arm pain at all.

Good luck and good hunting...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread