Got myself a project.

O

Oddfello

Hi all.

Got out today between rain drops. I have been itching to get out to a place my barber told me about early in the week. Seems there was this old man who owned about 170 acres of land here in my town. I have only lived here a few years so I was pretty much oblivious to the details. When the man died he left all his land to the people of this town to use. My barber went on to tell me that the township built a small park and two ballfields on some of the land but the rest is left untouched. He also told me that he often comes across old milk bottles, he thinks are from the 30's, when he has hunted up there in the past. He even told me how to find the old man's house that had burnt down. So off I went..

I found my way to the park but could not find the old house. The sky was getting dark so I figured to just try the park. I quickly found almost a dollar in clad and happened upon a hit that was all over the place on my machine. Instead one broken signal it seemed to be several small signals so I dug. Out of that one hole I retrieved the following:

dscf0238.jpg.w300h225.jpg

357's and intact. The slug was found about 12' away 5" down.

WOW that was strange. I went on working the park and snagged a bit more clad. I then moved to a far corner of the park were I noticed that the grass was much different and the ground was very soft. Right away I got a wheat. The ground was very dark here whereas the rest up until now had been yellow clay. Just two steps away, another wheat. soon I spotted what looked like a deer run leading right out of that corner of the park and down into the woods. I started working the trail and in just the first 10 feet or so I found stuff like this.

dscf0242.jpg.w560h420.jpg

I know I had seen someone (bigrig maybe?) post some tops like that and here I am finding them myself. I dunno about the nails. the heads are teardrop shaped and I really don't know the history of nails but I found about 20 of them.

It started to sprinkle a bit but I wanted to just walk down the path a bit to see what was there. To my surprise there are two foundations of sorts. I couldn't resist swinging just a few minutes and quickly snagged three more wheats! Now the drops started getting bigger and I made a dash up the trail to the pavilion where my backpack was to stash my machine. I apologize for the pic of the coins. They are in bad shape and not cleaned well. I also need to invest in a flouecent desk lamp. Anyway the joy for me today is that when I got home and soaked them in water a bit one of the wheats turned out to be my first Indian, a 1901. It took me a loupe and all my sight just to get the date.

dscf0251.jpg.w560h420.jpg

So now I left having a great feeling about getting back to those foundations and on the way out I even found the burnt out house of the former property owner. This is going to be a fun summer. ;D

Upvote 0
F

Floater

WOW I'm Jealous. Actually I'm Floater bet thats not the point. That is a great place and the story so far is excellent.Great post and keep em comming and CONGRATULATIONS ODDFELLOW. HH

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
I wish everyone here would write like this! That is great, kinda like reading a mini MD novel. I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to more. Nice finds and good luck on your future prospects at the foundations. :)

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It goes to show that if you mention your hobby in conversation whenever you get a chance, you never know when someone might say "You know, you might try a spot where there used to be a .....". Good work and good luck! Keep us posted.

Kent

OP
OP
O

Oddfello

Kent in AL said:
It goes to show that if you mention your hobby in conversation whenever you get a chance, you never know when someone might say "You know, you might try a spot where there used to be a .....". Good work and good luck! Keep us posted.

Kent

Yup your 100% right Kent. My barber has lived here all his life and is a "community" man who knows quite a bit about the town and the people in it. Can't wait to talk to him again and show him some finds. Thanks Mystro. I was worried the story was a bit bloated but just didn't want to throw up some pics, plus I was pretty happy about the Indian and the prospect of having found a pretty good place to work this summer. I'll certainly keep the board updated.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story. You should have some fun there. I love old foundations because there's very little trash, like pulltabs. You know almost everything you dig is going to be old.

Have fun.

Haupin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread