Got out a little today....................

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2::hello2::hello2:
Someone actually getting out there and getting some color!!!
Good for you!!

I will soon be outside too. My day has been scheduled and inked!!
Now the question is - find some water for sluicing - go Drywashing - or nugget shooting. :BangHead:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, we made it to Yachats last night, but my BGT didn't arrive before we left, so all I brought were my pans. I took my 15" Garrett Super Sluice out to the beach a couple miles N where we are staying and found a random patch of wind-blown black sand on the beach and scraped the surface sand into my pan, filling it up. After about an hour panning it out, this is what I found. I was shocked, to say the least.

Good old Oregon beach gold. Try carefully panning just a finger pinch of the same black sands. If your results are the same as what I have seen, you will probably find a few colors in that tiny amount of material....but my sluicing results never seem to add up to what I think is in the feed based on the panned pinch sample and you may be missing a lot of those tiny colors too when you pan in fairly large quantity.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good old Oregon beach gold. Try carefully panning just a finger pinch of the same black sands. If your results are the same as what I have seen, you will probably find a few colors in that tiny amount of material....but my sluicing results never seem to add up to what I think is in the feed based on the panned pinch sample and you may be missing a lot of those tiny colors too when you pan in fairly large quantity.

Yes! Even at this size, classifying matters. A 100 mesh classifier will help you improve your gold retention dramatically!
Pan the +100 and -100 material separately.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes! Even at this size, classifying matters. A 100 mesh classifier will help you improve your gold retention dramatically!
Pan the +100 and -100 material separately.

Howdy Kevin,
It's been a couple weeks since I been here due to some surgery but things are on the mend so I will be back on the end of a shovel before ya know it.....

Anyway,,,,,, everything on the beach is -100, just look back through some of the images in this thread, there is a little that falls in between 80 and 100 but not very much.
I have screens that go to 325 mesh and I have found very little at that size, of course at that mesh it is just plain ridiculous to try for.

This is what beach material looks like in my sluice. and last the available 10 feet of total beach sluice.

2015-05-05 17.25.52.jpg 2015-11-20 14.59.25.jpg 2015-10-10 14.52.41.jpg

Here is the 325 mesh stuff.

20160720_152712.jpg 20160720_154617.jpg

And here is some -100 to +150 mesh

20160703_182814.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any thoughts about beach sand gold in the Yachats area? Will be heading down there for a few days middle of September. Is it doable to run a 30" BGT Prospector to collect some cons? I don't have these fancy CleanGold sluices. Have a few Garret pans though in size varying from 10" to 15" SuperSluice.

A BGT won't efficiently catch gold so much smaller than 100 mesh (and based on JohneDoe's post, that's what you are facing) so I'd look to other recovery systems like beach boxes, Doug Watson's sluices, the Super Sluice pan, etc. I have successfully used a SuperSluice on -100 gold [emoji106]🏻

Looks like JohneDoe can advise you on the right gear for that situation...

PS hey there Johnedoe...glad you are getting back to it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank's Kevin...... It's good to be back.

johngfoster

Feb 7, 2016
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
30" Prospector BGT,
Garret pans (10", 14", SuperSluice),
Home-built Gold Hog-ish Highbanker a la Raptor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Super Sluice pan was what I used to get this beach sand gold. It took FOREVER to pan it out though. I think processing smaller batches would speed up the process though.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, like a teaspoon, lol. Nice recovery, that takes real patience:)

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just a short clip of the little cleanup sluice I built.
In this vid I just had it setup inside my bigger beach sluice to do some testing. The angle was about 15 deg. and the flow rate was approx. 600 GPH +/- a little.
The magnetics (black sands) are what you see in the blue lower section which is a cleangold beach sluice.
So I save this for the next run at the beach so I can recharge the cleangold system, This recharge also captures fines that may have been missed earlier so the total recovery rate of the cleangold can actually get into the 90+ recovery range.

Yup, That is gold you see in those little riffles........:hello2:

20160706_155652.jpg 20160706_161942.jpg

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's looking great :) We still don't have any plans to come back up but mom is finally ready for company again now that she's totally settled, so... We spent the summer around here saving up money for the new trailer we ordered last Tuesday. We've spent a few days inside the mine, did some drilling and a lot of time in the river :) We pick up the trailer in February or March and then we will be heading up soon after :)

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be good to see you again. and that is also a good time for the beach.....lol

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, went back up to my beach today...... Man the weather we have had has brought the beach back to almost normal......
The cobble drift is GONE. There were however only superficial surface patches of black sands though but the good stuff isn't too far away now.
So I will keep an eye on it and try to time the next dig.

From this.......... 20160724_100510.jpg

Back to this......................................

20161022_145915.jpg 20161022_145921.jpg 20161022_150306.jpg 20161022_151153.jpg 20161022_151408.jpg

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake Superior does the same to me! The beach is in a blender. Some days you get chop, and some you get frappe.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, went back up to my beach today...... Man the weather we have had has brought the beach back to almost normal......
The cobble drift is GONE. There were however only superficial surface patches of black sands though but the good stuff isn't too far away now.
So I will keep an eye on it and try to time the next dig.

From this.......... View attachment 1373703

Back to this......................................

View attachment 1373411 View attachment 1373412 View attachment 1373413 View attachment 1373414 View attachment 1373417

Looking good! Almost time to break out the woolies and rain gear and get busy!

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup...... Just a little more overburden to sweep away and start consolidating those heavies.......

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well since I can't get to the beach yet....weather and beach conditions..... I went detecting.....
It aint a nugget but I will just have to adapt and take it anyway..... got to get my gold fix somehow.....:laughing7:

IMG_0032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I took a chance and headed to the beach today .... Only had time to do 1 cart full before the weather started to turn.... Got all the equipment loaded back into the truck before the sky opened up and the wind hit......

Still have to do the cleanup so I don't know what today yielded.... Likely not too much since the beach isn't ready yet and has no lenses, just a skim layer up to a 1/2 in thick in a few places.

Here are a few pics and a short vid of the sluice with the new sawtooth mat as well as the cleangold lower section.

20161210_120020.jpg 20161210_120016.jpg
20161210_115943.jpg 20161210_120002.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the little cleanup sluice I built also using the sawtooth mat....
Running about 5-600 GPH and set at 15 deg.
It just sits within my big sluice for now till I get it setup with it's own stand and tubs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread