Got out this morning, did some relic hunting.

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
So I went out detecting this morning. I haven’t been out in about 18 months, maybe longer, the wonders of having a working wife and small child to look after on weekends! I found a post from a fellow who was looking for someone to go out with, to a public area that he had hunted several times before. I offered to come along, feeling grateful to have company, and a place to go.

We arrived at the location in Annapolis Maryland about 7am, and got to work. He had previously found some good items at this park, a silver ring, and an ACW bullet. He thought that someone he knew had even found a gold coin here years ago. I was a little worried that the site may be hunted out, but figured a day outside getting some sort of exercise was a good thing, and I was going to enjoy it no matter what.

I was hunting with my Whites Spectrum 3V. I bought this several years ago, but this is only my second time getting to use it. My first couple targets were pencil ends, then a clad dime, then a bunch more pencil ends, and shredded cans. We moved to another spot, and we both started digging old pull tabs. I got a clad quarter, then a good hit. I dug a button at about 8 or 10 inches depth. It looks to be a naval button, maybe 60’s or 70’s? For all I know it could be from last week, or the ACW, but it just seems newer? It looks like one of those two part hollow jobs. I only found the front piece, no back to it. Still kind of cool, I had only found 3 buttons in the past, and all three were very plain colonial civilian flat buttons, this one at least has some character to it.

Up to this point, he had a little luck, he pulled a wheat, couldn’t see the date, he needs to clean it up, and a nickel, but it was so encrusted, we couldn’t even identify the type. Hopefully he will have a good find there because I think that was the last of his finds for the day.

We moved over to another section of the property. I started detecting along a tree line, which also happens to be just off of an old rail line that sat there during the 1800’s. I was told that some 20 to 30 thousand US troops were stationed here during the war, and many more likely moved through the area. I got a hit that rang up as a button, said 10 inches deep. I started digging, and digging, and digging. About 14 inches down, I saw what looked like the bottom of a can. I had already dug about 6 full cans, and figured I just had another one. I popped it up off the bottom, and pulled it out to drop in my trash pouch, but it was crazy heavy. I started knocking some mud off of it. I couldn’t tell what it was, it seemed like the bottom of a can, or maybe a jar lid, but it was heavy, like lead. I kept thinking maybe I have a breast plate on my hands, but I didn’t see any design on it, so kept telling myself I was dreaming. It was bent pretty bad, and a crease down the back, but I couldn’t see any tabs back there. I thought about tossing it in my bag for cleaning at home to see if it was just trash, but I simply couldn’t help myself, I had too many uncertain hopes about it being a plate, which I never in a million years expected to EVER find, much less in the city!

Anyway, 3 minutes and lots of saliva and a finger showed enough to confirm that there was an eagle present, so I started jumping up and down like an idiot! The eagle was a little more evident later when the mud had dried.

I wish it wasn’t bent up so bad, must have been hit by farm equipment at some point in the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. I think this land hasn’t changed too much since the early 1900’s…

This piece has the pride of place in my relic collection, coolest thing I have ever dug!

Thanks
Andy

The Button, anyone know anything about navy buttons and likely age of this???

IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG

Here is the plate as it looked when I got home:

IMG_3628.JPG

This shot shows how bad the bend is:

IMG_3635.JPG

Here is the back, it had 4 tabs on it, I know I have seen some with 3, not sure how many different backs these things had?

IMG_3644.JPG

And here is the front after I washed in under some water in the sink:

IMG_3643.JPG

Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice plate Andy. That bend is not that bad as I have seen some completely folded together in posts here. It would have had 2 iron loops on the back where you see the remnants. The loops would have been pushed through slits cut into the cartridge box shoulder belt and a piece of rawhide then run through the 2 loops to hold it in place on the black leather belt. Nice find. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
SMPress

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
Cool, thanks for the info! I figured they had those arrow head connectors like belt plates. No evidence of the two bars that would have been there, and trust me, i ran the detector all over the area that that came out of! :wink:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW MAN!!! I feel ya there, I dug my 1st just a few weeks ago. Spectacular find there bud!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread