Got out yesterday and found a good button, but......

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As luck would have it, the forces of nature had taken their toll on it >:(

Yesterday I went back to a trashy house site that I have hunted many times but it always gives up something. The place is a pile of rocks, bricks and earth in the middle of a cow pasture. I had intended to dig into the pile, which goes about three feet deep in places, and detect the hole and the dirt pile as I went. However, when I started finding buttons right off the bat, I just surface hunted for about 2 1/2 hours and surprised myself by finding 8 keepers, including a 1 piece, low convex eagle A (the source of my dissappointment), a few flower buttons, and a decorative latch cover. I figure this place was in use from about 1820 to the 1880s based on the buttons and coins I have found. I am still looking for the first silver coin here :dontknow: Here are pics of the site and the finds.

Attachments

• House site.jpg
    House site.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 465
  • Eagle in Dirt.jpg
    Eagle in Dirt.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Button in Dirt.jpg
    Button in Dirt.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 456
  • 10-18-10 All.jpg
    10-18-10 All.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Buttons fronts.jpg
    Buttons fronts.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Buttons backs.jpg
    Buttons backs.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 447
  • Latch.jpg
    Latch.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 460
  • Eagle Button.jpg
    Eagle Button.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 454
  • Flower button.jpg
    Flower button.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent hunt Steve, any hunt that does not have a good ole copper or silver but finds a bunch of buttons is a good hunt in my book. I had a similar hunt yesterday, that is, no coins, but I really did not expect to find one. It is surprising no IH's showed up, of course a Large Cent or Seated coin would have been nice. :wink:

Don

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Decent hunt Steve, any hunt that does not have a good ole copper or silver but finds a bunch of buttons is a good hunt in my book. I had a similar hunt yesterday, that is, no coins, but I really did not expect to find one. It is surprising no IH's showed up, of course a Large Cent or Seated coin would have been nice. :wink:

Don
Thanks Don, since I was digging buttons I was enjoying myself. I always get a little rush of anticipation when I dig a button, checking to see if it's got a neat design or it's (hopefully) military.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those buttons are looking good in a Colonial flavor kind-of-way. :icon_thumleft: It is surprising how the coppers play "Hard to Get." We have had many sites like that this year. They are frustrating, but you then have to realize one thing: You are digging Colonial history still. :headbang: Thanks for saving them from the dirt and keep on trucking with your passion, Steve.

Kirk :hello:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
As you know, a pile of buttons means there are some coins nearby. You'll get one soon, Steve!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyle PA said:
As you know, a pile of buttons means there are some coins nearby. You'll get one soon, Steve!
Kyle, I have found a beautiful 1822 LC, a less than beautiful 183? LC, a mutilated 1840 LC, a flying eagle and 3 or 4 Indian Heads here. I know there is capped bust half dime lurking in there somewhere, I can just feel it in my bones :icon_pirat:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, after the first 100 or so you learn to accept the poor condition. ;D Murphy's law... the military is toast, but the flower button is always beautiful.

U

umrgolf

I feel your pain. That's about how they come out here most of the time.. a shame to see the nice relics come out toasted :-\ hope you get that bust half-dime :wink:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Steve! We need to hook up sometime for a hunt :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions