Weekend Road Trip yields Quarter Slam!!!, Indian Tribe, MUCH more...

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Headed East to NW Ohio and Northern Indiana to spend a weekend driving town to town and hunting sites I researched or hunted previously. 1st stop made the whole weekend! Hunting a town square in Somewhere, Ohio I pulled up a ton of signals, including a few big silver coins. I started with a 1942 Walker and then 4 Quarters - 1853 Seated, 1892O Barber, Slick Stander, and 1945 Washington for a Quarter Grand Slam!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
18oct10qslamfront.JPG

I'm still stunned by the amazing amount of luck involved in that achievement!! Also found an 1867 2 Cent Piece, Barber Dimes, Mercs, Roosy dime, silver ring, a few Indians and other keepers! What a start to a Road Trip! This square had been hunted pretty good, but most of my targets came out of very minerallized and iron infested ground around 1 side and my Explorer did good sniffing them out.
Here's the finds from just this first site:

18oct10cthsefinds.JPG

I spent the rest of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday covering other sites and added many more goodies to the finds total. 3 days and 1,400 miles later I had a nice haul to tote home!

Here's the Tribe of 19 Indians including a key date 1867:

18oct10indians.JPG

This is the 20 pieces of silver found:

18oct10silver.JPG

Here's the other coins... 1867 2 cent piece, 63 wheats - one stamped with a Masonic logo - 4 V Nickels, a nice 1854-1904 50th anniversary Medal from U.S. Express Co.:
18oct10othercoins.JPG

Here's some other odds and ends and jewelry:
18oct10misc.JPG

Here's the grand total for the finds:
18oct10nut.JPG

Thanks for looking, take care and HH, Mike.

Upvote 0

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some outstanding finds. I,m sure you will be on cloud Ohio for sometime.

dwatson4

Sep 8, 2010
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
The TPA button you have there is from the "travelers protective association" founded in the late 1800's by a group of traveling salesmen looking to better improve safe working conditions for traveling salesmen. later garnering lodging benefits for their members. They later changed their logo a bit so it would not get confused with the parent teacher assn. now the focus on helping children

http://www.tpahq.org/detailedhistory.html

I found a watch fob with their logo from 1923 the logo was changed sometime after that. If the p is over the t and a its pre logo change

nice haul btw

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy crap!! that was quite the road trip! more indians than I find all year...

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ that's big batch of treasures there! WOOHOO!!! Very exciting! Congrat's man!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Mike.......WTG! :icon_thumleft:
Road trips like that are so
much fun.....congratulations.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats...very cool on the quarter grand slam.

NJ

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of a haul and I like the way the soil treated those Indian Heads!

OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
dwatson4 said:
The TPA button you have there is from the "travelers protective association" founded in the late 1800's by a group of traveling salesmen looking to better improve safe working conditions for traveling salesmen. later garnering lodging benefits for their members. They later changed their logo a bit so it would not get confused with the parent teacher assn. now the focus on helping children

http://www.tpahq.org/detailedhistory.html

I found a watch fob with their logo from 1923 the logo was changed sometime after that. If the p is over the t and a its pre logo change

nice haul btw

Thanks for that info! HH, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread