Got "spanked" by a $50 HF metal detector!?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
Myself and detecting partner have been detecting the grounds of a long gone military school over the past two years. 1800s silvers, tokens, Indian, buttons, relics, etc., are continually found. But we've yet to find anything with schools name or initials. I even found a nice coat button from another military school on site?
Today we bring a coworker, (newbie), complete with his $50 Harbor Freight metal detector. He didn't even have a pinpointer!
Mind you I was swingin' The Mighty ETrac, and my detecting partner an ATPro.
We even told the "newbie" of never finding anything with school logo.
Well, bout 2hrs into hunt the newb says, "hey man, check this out"! I couldn't believe what he unearthed! A complete school uniform belt buckle, with full school name and logo!! Such a class person is the newb, that upon seeing our amazement, he offered it. But with frustration, I/we had to decline. As newb becomes more familiar with sites history, he will realize the buckles local importance.
The buckle was only 2 inches deep, so any detector would have found it. Obviously.
I'll just chalk it up to "luck of the newbie".
Then again, just goes to show that whatever machine you use and if you're fortunate enough to get your coil over it, anything can be found.
Good luck to all!
Peace ✌

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was my first md.Now i have an at pro and a whites xlt and others.And i have a friend with a bounty hunter tracker that has beat me on a few good hunts.As you say if he is lucky enough to swing the coil over it thats what counts.

TrinityBigfoot

Aug 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Gold Bug II, Whites TRX Pointpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I few years ago I watched a YouTube video of a guy prospecting with a HF type metal detector. He was on a creek bed and pulled a gold nugget that was at least 1oz. I bought a HF metal detector for my brothers. Works pretty good (at targets less then 3 inches).

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CK!! AMERICA!! Just goes to show you LUCK has a great deal more to do with it than Depth!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is funny! :laughing7: I have the HF 9 function, I think I paid about $35.00 for it with a coupon. I bought it for my girlfriend to try out detecting and didn't want to spend any real money on something that she might not keep interest in. So I buy it and take it home and set it up. We go to an old park the next day and in 5 minutes she pulls out a 1901 Barber quarter. She found all the coins that day and stomped my Pioneer 505 into the dirt. I found nothing but beavertails, foil and rusty beer caps. I finally just got disgusted and left.
I get 5" on a quarter 3" on a dime air testing with the HF. I hate to say it but that cheap piece of crap actually does really well at it's price point. It will disc out most of the smaller iron. It does have a pinpoint mode that is spot on and I mean spot on! The meter is useless and it's a tone only machine with no indication of depth. Batteries last forever in the HF.
If it had more depth it would be actually be very impressive for a cheap detector.
I ended up buying her something better and we use the HF as a loner for friends.
I still get my butt kicked every time by her not just detecting but even fishing.
Some people are just naturally lucky I guess.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is only one thing missing from this thread, and that is you, telling us, to be on the lookout for a new Tnet member whose name is...?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigWaveDave, my first 3yrs of detecting I had no clue of TNet. Thankfully, I finally located TNet! The "newbie" will eventually locate TNet as his addiction comes to fruition. As we TNetter's now know, this site alone will be his rehab/therapy. ;)
Peace ✌

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I post on 3 sites. TN is more social, TI is more research, and GPAA is more for prospecting. I like them all. Frank five star.png
51 butterfly.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ex Gf introduced me to t-net. I think she regretted it but I still miss her.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part of "beginner's luck" is what is referred to in Zen philosophy as Beginner's Mind:
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."

Perhaps he found it because he was in a spot you thought was a poor probability. Being a newbie he was willing to hunt anywhere.

As we get old, jaded and set in our ways we are less open. When you're fresh at detecting, full of enthusiasm and your knees don't ache you're more likely to dig any hit.

CoinAddict

Oct 24, 2014
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first time out ever I borrowed a buddy's Fisher F2 he had his Minelab 505 and I got and 1866 2 cent piece and he was pretty much empty handed. It's more about who takes the best path! Can't find it if it isn't under the coil!

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you get the 15 dollar off coupons for the Harbor Freight Detector, I am thinking about getting one for a teenager in the family. I will look at the web-site next. I know people bust hard on cheap detectors but its a great entry into the hobby. I know a few guys with 500 dollar to 1000 dollar detectors in the closet that never used them or used them less then 10 times and got frustrated and stopped when they did not find gold coins and silver dollars. It has been proved here that people with cheapies can make good finds if they walk out the door and start swinging the coil, lol.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Where do you get the 15 dollar off coupons for the Harbor Freight Detector, I am thinking about getting one for a teenager in the family. I will look at the web-site next. I know people bust hard on cheap detectors but its a great entry into the hobby. I know a few guys with 500 dollar to 1000 dollar detectors in the closet that never used them or used them less then 10 times and got frustrated and stopped when they did not find gold coins and silver dollars. It has been proved here that people with cheapies can make good finds if they walk out the door and start swinging the coil, lol.

hey dave google harbor freight you can print one yourself.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Hello all,
Myself and detecting partner have been detecting the grounds of a long gone military school over the past two years. 1800s silvers, tokens, Indian, buttons, relics, etc., are continually found. But we've yet to find anything with schools name or initials. I even found a nice coat button from another military school on site?
Today we bring a coworker, (newbie), complete with his $50 Harbor Freight metal detector. He didn't even have a pinpointer!
Mind you I was swingin' The Mighty ETrac, and my detecting partner an ATPro.
We even told the "newbie" of never finding anything with school logo.
Well, bout 2hrs into hunt the newb says, "hey man, check this out"! I couldn't believe what he unearthed! A complete school uniform belt buckle, with full school name and logo!! Such a class person is the newb, that upon seeing our amazement, he offered it. But with frustration, I/we had to decline. As newb becomes more familiar with sites history, he will realize the buckles local importance.
The buckle was only 2 inches deep, so any detector would have found it. Obviously.
I'll just chalk it up to "luck of the newbie".
Then again, just goes to show that whatever machine you use and if you're fortunate enough to get your coil over it, anything can be found.
Good luck to all!
Peace ✌

you now have your answer.does it really matter who found it?

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, nomad 11, it doesn't.
A great find is a great find. So much so in this case, upon greeting and re-congratulating the "newbie" at work this morn, he inquires if he can do better with a quality detector. I immediately say no. Stick with your HF metered machine. ;)
Seriously though, tomorrow I will give him one of my machines.
More great finds await.
A "newb" now will be a semi-experienced detectorist this time next year.
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread