Got the Cibola today in the mail!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Surprised at what a small box it was. Got it all assembled and ready to go, get outside and start detecting for 5 minutes when it statrts HAILING!! >:( Frozen ice chunks arent too good for teh detector so I headed in. I got two small beeps in an area I had already gone over with the old one, so thats a good sign. Ground is still frozen on top here, Ill have to use the blowtorch tomarow. I had it a little over Iron on the disc, that should reject most iron right? I had sensitivity at 8. The threshhold thing is kinda weird, never used it before, same with pinpoint feature which is neat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks! Supposed to be 50 here friday and I got a half day that day ;D wonder what the first old find will be with it ::)

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?Good news !! ? ? ? ?Congratulations and enjoy ? ? ? ? ? ?HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the new Tesoro!

I know what you mean by the small box. That really threw me too when I first saw it.

You'll really like it once you learn it.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea! Jake!

I know you are excited to go out and hunt! Good luck and wish you great weather on friday!!!

;)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool ;D Nothing more exciting than getting a new md...and the anticipation of using it :o Good luck with the Cibola and HH!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome jake! dont forget to review it for us once you get to know it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news Jake! I was just thinking about PMing you to see if you had it yet. Can't wait to hear about your first finds. Be sure to give details. On all my detectors with a threshold setting it says to set the threshold to where it is barely audible...I can hear the threshold on mine, but it may be something different on the Tosoro? Hope you have great luck with it! This deserves an EXCELLENT!! Monty

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
the manual says to set the threshhold so its at a constant hum or something like that. Im not exactly sure how to set it all, but Ill wing it tomarow ;D Gotta see what those two things were that I found... I will also try out the blowtorch method :)

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Glad to hear you finally got your Cibola. There's a new seller on ebay selling the Cibola for $325. A dealer from the upper mid west. Now go find a fortune. ;D

Glen

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my 2500 the threshold is a constant hum all the time but it gets annoying if too loud. My manual says to turn it down to where you can barely hear it. I'm not sure what it does or doesn't do? Wkhat about it Zeke, wat does it do?

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty I know one thing about that humming. At least it lets you know it still is on. ??? ??? Burdie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jake, best of luck with the Cibola. That's the next machine I'm looking at for the wife. She wants something lightweight and easy to operate. My understanding is the threshold is set for a slight hum which is to set for the normal soil mineralization. Since different areas of the country has different mineralization, a manual ground balance is best-kind of a customized adjustment. When a slight hum is heard, any deviation upwards in pitch indicates an increased mineralization under the coil. In laymans terms, there's more than soil under the coil so you can play name that tune and dig. ;D
HH and Good Luck!

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Someone may come along and offer a more precise explanation but the way I understand it is with a silent search detector you either hear the signal or you don't. The receive part of the coil has to receive a strong enough signal before it produces an audio tone to alert you to the presence of some metal object.
? ? ?With a detector that has a threshold you are able to hear the soft, subtle, "whispers" of deep targets that lie at the limits of the detectors "reach". Any slight variation in the threshold may indicate a target. Most detectors audio signals work deeper than its VDI. Does that make sense? In other words you will HEAR a very deep target but might not SEE the very deep target.? But learning the difference between a deep target and a ghost signal can take some time. I know I haven't reached that point with my new detector yet.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 detectors and only one has a VDI meter in it. (BH Land Ranger). I have tried to compare my finds to the VDI numbers but they bounce around too much to be difinitive. For instance, an aluminum tab may run between 18 and 55, bouncing all over between those numbers. Ditto a nickel, ditto a gold ring! Only the very high numbers mean anything to me and even they can signal a buried pop can instead of a silver coin. So, is it just me or my detector that makes the VDI numbers useless to me? Garrett detectors have no VDI scale, rather icons that are identified within a certain range of resistance. My GTI 2500 will show a probable icon and also indicate the size of the target, so I can generally tell if it's a coin or something larger. Aluminum cans give off a distinct sound that helps eliminate them. The ACE 250 works similar except it doesn't show the relative size of the target so it is more apt to err, or make me err in knowing whether to dig or not. Of course, I can run either on the all metal mode and dig everything if I want to. Just demonstrating the way different detectors present the target. Some forum members seem to think they're all alike. I know I did until I grew more familiar with the various brands. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions