Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: How to find gold coins & rings with detector

Hey Diamond Spike,

A detector will indicate a target based on the detector settings and the size, shape and conductivity of the target. A gold coin should be pretty easy to detect, they are just rare and a lot of us are never fortunate enough to find one. However, you can increase your chances by spending more time detecting and researching sites. A lot of rings have the same signature as other items, like pull tabs, etc. So, you can increase your chances by lowering your discrimination to allow pulltabs. You will dig a lot more junk, but you will have a better chance of finding rings. I have found five rings in five years...most of them showed as pull tabs. If not out hunting for relics, my rule of thumb is to dig everything that is not iron, and sometimes I even dig the iron. An exception is when a site is really trashy and I don't have time to clean up an area...then I'll set the discrimination high, tune out the trash and hunt for coins. Some of the most successful detectorists are successful because they dig everything.

Hope this helps a little, HH!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok ill take a shoot at it newbie here,been detecting about a little over year this summer found 2/14 kt rings 1/18 hge plated this sounded off like a quarter! in early spring dug a crushed gold ring from the corner of a parking lot grass patch.with my machine an x5 if its a solid hit with my disc set at (4) gold level ill dig it most always its a pull tab.i can hear a dirty chewed up soda can as a i pass the coils over it if its dirty at one end or the other or both i still dig it just to see but almost everytime its a can. the 14KTs rings were both from playgrounds other 2 were from grass...

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.

;Dthe best way to find gold is to go where it has been lost and dig everything do not use your dis. i have found that gold falls in the +10 through +65 depending on the karet gold it is while platiam falls under where nickles and bottle caps do so if you block out these things you do not find gold or platiam. All of the gold neclaces i have found read as foil on my machine.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

what make and type of detector are you using gold rings generally do not give strong signals unless they are really large.Any discrimination even discriminating alfoil will lose rings, plus poorly ground balanced machines which are having trouble with mineralisation will miss small gold targets.Do you use head phones they will help you hear weak signals. Dont put too much faith in target id on detectors remember lots of targets which the machine identifies as rubbish can be thin gold rings or even chains which only give broken week signals. good hunting Neilo ;D

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005

Take up water detecting ;D I have over 75 rings in 7 months of water hunting... People.. before they hit the water lather up with their sunscreens lubing the rings for us ;) and then hit the colder water and their skin prunes further helping us out and swimming or horseing around gets that jewelry moving and at lowtide I'll be there to scoop up my prize :)

OP
OP
Diamond Spike

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama

I'm using a Compass XP PRO at this time which was given to me. I've been using the presets to detect

My past Detectors include
1. Treasure tracker no discrimination (junk) girlfriend got it for me from fingerhut
2. sears TR discriminator by Whites I liked that machine (found gold class ring with this one) traded silver dollar for it. LOL
3. ADS 2 by Garrett (bulky machine but lots of clad stuff)
4. 6000 DI series 3 By whites (good machine problems ground balancing it ) (gold Mothers ring & wedding band)
5. Surf master PI (used it 4 times ) no beach near me (went crazy around power lines)
6. Fisher 1212 (lower end machine lots of clad) wife gave it to me for birth day presant.
7. Whites XLT (great machine lots of depth first Buffalo nickel with this one and a 1800's gold wedding band)
8. A Garrett water machine (not Sea hunter) used it twice
9. Compass XP Pro lots of clad so far (gave to me) present machine.

All detectors sold to get wife through collage. But was worth it she can support me now.
Now I'm getting back into treasure hunting after 3yr absence
Just can't figure out why not many gold finds
or silver either like 6 pieces all dimes. lots of wheat's and clad coins
oh well ill keep trying . Thanks for the input keep it coming some great advice here

Thanks Again
Diamond Spike

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Actually this may sound strange but I think gold is easier to find today than silver. Now, by gold I mean in the form of jewelry.

Well used beaches and those old abandoned swimming holes are always good for some gold.

But, silver--that's a bummer. Most of it was cleaned out of parks, fairgrounds, etc., years ago.

Most lost silver was only 2 or 3 inches deep back in the 60's and those early TR guys killed it.

If you want much silver today you have to hit the private yards.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

Diamond spike are you finding pencil tops, tinfoil, can slaw both medium and small pieces and pulltabs; If you are finding these things then you have a good chance to find the gold ring. If you are not finding these then you may be running your discrimination to high
Sometimes even the preset area on some machine are too high , sometimes it takes some experimetning to figure out the opitmum settings for the individual machine.
keep us posted
hh
dave+bobbie

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The beaches, fresh and salt are where the gold finds increase. As stated before you have to dig about everything. Some of my best rings have been in very shallow water as this is where mom plays with the kids.

Some of the best ways to increase you finds per hour are to go slow and KEEP the coil close to the ground and not swing it pendulum style. Over lap at least by half to get depth coverage, or use a double d coil. Dig it all if the digging is easy like in sand at a beach. If you only get out once in awhile your finds will suffer. Don't keep your found gold at home, I have safety deposit boxes where I know their safe.

Keep at it.

HH,
Sandman

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've found three gold rings and a gold watch since I started MDing again back in September. A place for the folks without a beach to find gold rings is in the outfield of your local ball diamonds. Not as many junk readings either.
Campgrounds have always been good for me but you have to dig a lot of trash readings.
Also try the athletic fields at your local college/university. Not the "Official" game fields, they are usually off-limits, but the Intermural and Practice fields will usually yield some good stuff. Especially where they have informal/pick-up games of soccer, football, frisbee and other events.

Attachments

• found_jewelry.JPG
    found_jewelry.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 468
  • found_jewelry.JPG
    found_jewelry.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 429

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info on the deposit boxes, The Beep Goes On. I have removed the gold and stuff to a private vault I bought. It's a huge gun safe that is now set in cement. My guns are stored in another fireproof safe. I should have thought of this earier. Thanx

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No problem Sandman - I've got a big gun safe too...my own private bank ;) Mine's bolted down from the inside...I like the cement idea.

Z

ZumbroKid

Well i got a $5 gold piece with a $200.00 radio shack detector. Gotten 2 gold rings with a MXT. Where was gold lost answer everywhere! The questions should be on increasing ones odds of finding any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions