Got these two beauties yesterday....

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I found these two dimes in seperate holes just a few inches apart and about 5" deep in a site that we have pounded to death over the last several years.
Also in the holes were some square nails and nail fragments that were partially masking the coins, but I must have hit them just right to get a diggable signal.
Although I have several Barbers that I have dug over the last couple of years, these two are by far the best shape I have seen to come out of the ground.
Thanks for looking,
Felix

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,714
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,712
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,727
Upvote 0

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BURLIVES said:
Beautiful coins...but as mentioned above don't rub. Silver is NOT silver....Many detectorists are serious , knowledgeable coin collecters. I collected 15 years before I started detecting. We're not haters, were lovers of this hobby and the thrill of getting a pristine coin (like the 2 above) out of the ground without damage is one of the great moments of this hobby. Nothing sucks more than finding a great find to only find out you messed it up. My friend found a VF+ 21-d Merc last year and scraped the back off. A $400 dollar coin became worth 50 bucks ,if that in a second. ERRGGH! These 2 dimes were great collector coins that were worth 20 bucks or more, now maybe just a buck or 2 more over melt. Were not being critical...just experienced hunters wanting you have a great find. Again beautiful dimes!

I KNOW THAT I AM STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS ABOUT TRUE RELIC COINS, BUT THE SENTENCE
ABOUT "SILVER IS NOT SILVER" GOT MY ATTENTION. I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE.

WHAT IS IN THE COIN TO MAKE IT "NOT SILVER". I TRUELY HAVE NEVER FOUND ANY COIN THAT COMES CLOSE TO THESE IN QUALITY. I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO CLEAN AND CARE FOR THEM BUT,
I NEED A SHORT CLASS ABOUT WHAT THE OLD SILVER COINS ARE MADE OF.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME :sign13:
REALLY ENLIGHTEN ME :icon_sunny:
:read2:
THANKS
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BURLIVES said:
Beautiful coins...but as mentioned above don't rub. Silver is NOT silver....Many detectorists are serious , knowledgeable coin collecters. I collected 15 years before I started detecting. We're not haters, were lovers of this hobby and the thrill of getting a pristine coin (like the 2 above) out of the ground without damage is one of the great moments of this hobby. Nothing sucks more than finding a great find to only find out you messed it up. My friend found a VF+ 21-d Merc last year and scraped the back off. A $400 dollar coin
became worth 50 bucks ,if that in a second. ERRGGH! These 2 dimes were great collector coins that were
worth 20 bucks or more, now maybe just a buck or 2 more over melt. Were not being critical...just
experienced hunters wanting you have a great find. Again beautiful dimes!
Well said, no haters here, we are only trying to help, I myself am a coin collector, and hate to see a beautiful coin scratched, silver is not just silver unless your talking about a Rosie or worn merc. A lot of old silver carries good value, I absolutely cringe when I see people on YouTube rubbing silver coins. I always carry a pill bottle with water for when I find silver, and place the coin in the water.

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Nice coins! Couldnt you get the nails any more shiney than that? come on have a little pride in your finds.....ha ha. Ya those are some bright coins man, way to go! :headbang:

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
BURLIVES said:
Beautiful coins...but as mentioned above don't rub. Silver is NOT silver....Many detectorists are serious , knowledgeable coin collecters. I collected 15 years before I started detecting. We're not haters, were lovers of this hobby and the thrill of getting a pristine coin (like the 2 above) out of the ground without damage is one of the great moments of this hobby. Nothing sucks more than finding a great find to only find out you messed it up. My friend found a VF+ 21-d Merc last year and scraped the back off. A $400 dollar coin became worth 50 bucks ,if that in a second. ERRGGH! These 2 dimes were great collector coins that were worth 20 bucks or more, now maybe just a buck or 2 more over melt. Were not being critical...just experienced hunters wanting you have a great find. Again beautiful dimes!

I KNOW THAT I AM STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS ABOUT TRUE RELIC COINS, BUT THE SENTENCE
ABOUT "SILVER IS NOT SILVER" GOT MY ATTENTION. I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE.

WHAT IS IN THE COIN TO MAKE IT "NOT SILVER". I TRUELY HAVE NEVER FOUND ANY COIN THAT COMES CLOSE TO THESE IN QUALITY. I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO CLEAN AND CARE FOR THEM BUT,
I NEED A SHORT CLASS ABOUT WHAT THE OLD SILVER COINS ARE MADE OF.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME :sign13:
REALLY ENLIGHTEN ME :icon_sunny:
:read2:
THANKS
PROSPECTORMIKEL

[What I meant was that there are coins that are just worth their silver content (junk silver) and those that are worth more(collector coins). These 2 dimes are beautiful collector coins, my comment had nothing to do with weather they were silver or not. A barber dime can be worth a lot of money depending on it's condition. These same 2 coins well worn are really only worth their silver content, in this condition without the scratches they are worth 25 bucks or more. 50 dollars....or 6 dollars. It makes a difference. Also becareful cleaning a coin if you ever have any thought of selling it. A true collector or dealer will pay much less for a cleaned coin. It's like touching up a rare painting , you would leave it alone. The natural patina of a coin through time adds to it's value. Thanks, Burl/quote]

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Two nice coins :icon_thumleft: what colour were they, when you dug them up :icon_scratch:

SS

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BURLIVES,
THANK YOU. I WAS IN HOPE THAT WAS WHAT YOU MEANT.
I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM TREASURE NET OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS, THAT I THOUGHT ANYTHING CAN BE POSSIBLY, SO WHEN I READ THAT I STARTED WONDERING
IF I HAD THAT WRONG TOO.

I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP. :read2:
:sign13: THE PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT :icon_sunny:

THANKS
PROSPECTORMIKEL

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are nice coins,that's the way to dig em up Felix!

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
You guys are pretty certain he rubbed those when there is no way to know if he did. Any number of things could have put those marks on em. Some constructive criticism for sure, but still may not be warranted. Just sayin. Nice dimes... no wait...Incredible dimes.

OP
OP
fwcrawford

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey Silver Searcher,
These coins were bright and shiney when I recovered them.
The photos kind of makes them look golden, but they are bright silver.
They weren't cleaned or polished.. only a tooth brush under some running water when I got home.

Argentum

Dec 11, 2009
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Congratulations on a pair of beauties! I hope that there are many more in your future.Just a quick comment on the other posts about cleaning,many people forget that it's not the toothbrush or soft cloth that scratches the coins but the dirt itself which is full of tiny,hard.sharp abrasive particles.Hence the oft repeated advice to only soak and rinse under running water...if you must. The other comment is that the reason that it looks like they were scratched after digging is because the visible scratches are all in the same direction and oriented at the angle one would hold a coin while eagerly waiting for the date and details to appear. They could have happened in the ground also(or pre-drop)but two the same might make a person wonder?
Any way congrats again from another newbie and happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread