Got two cards in the mail today......

Fred (S.Indiana)

Apr 8, 2007
Evansville
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
One from the owner of the ring I found and returned, a senior from a Southern Indiana high school, and another from her mother. Seems both girls are happy of the return of the class ring, I have two cards to stash back to prove my noble deed, I do feel the ring is best with its owner, scrap value couldn't have been worth enough to relieve my conscience had I chose otherwise, I'm afraid I would have been uncomfortable for a long time. Ring was found a day after laborday at a beech on a large lake/reservoir, my sole piece of jewelry for the day......

Attachments

• classcard1.jpg
    classcard1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 540
  • beech1.jpg
    beech1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 522
  • beech2.jpg
    beech2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 531

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go! When you plant good seeds, you get good crops :thumbsup: Breezie

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fred, you deserve an Honorable mention sir. I admire you for the great gesture.

People he wont get the Honorable if you don't vote, so please vote for these great deeds. :hello2:

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred (S.Indiana) said:
I do feel the ring is best with its owner, scrap value couldn't have been worth enough to relieve my conscience had I chose otherwise, I'm afraid I would have been uncomfortable for a long time.

It is tough Fred to have to tussel with your feelings......been there a couple of times myself. But by doing the right thing, you made someones day and yours too. Well done. Gold Nuggets :hello:

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that girl is on a city council somewhere in the future and is the deciding vote to NOT restrict metal detecting in the city parks!! Great job! :hello2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if the owners name is clearly on a item * (like a modern type class ring often is ) and its of a modern time frame ( uh class of 1908 doubtful if the "owners" alive-- however 1998 most likely they are ) it can be easily returned in many cases -- it is both the moral and in many cases is the legally required thing to do by the local & state laws -- generally speaking even though you "found" it --if its clearly marked and thus ID ible *as to who it "belongs" to -- its not "yours" but mearly so and so's lost property , that you found * and you have a legal duty to return it to them or at the very least to turn it in to the police - in most cases to "keep marked property" found like this is called "theft by convertion"--it was theirs and is clearly marked as "belonging" to them , but they 'lost it" & you found it & think -- I'm taking it and claiming it as mine now " --

this is done so a real "theif" can not say oh I found this item "laying" around and just "kept it"-- in otherwords -- a home owner gets "robbed" the crook is later on found with the "goods" on him --say a "name engraved" gold pocket watch * -- the crook will say --uh I "found" this in a dirt lot near the house that got "robbed" --so I just kept it -- he will say the "real" crook that robbed the house most have dropped it in the lot , where he "found" it at-- with this "marked item" law in place --its "illegal" to keep "marked goods" ---so that way the crook can be charged with "theft by convertion" for not "turning in" the found goods :wink: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread