Grad School holding me back wrap up post. Colonial, CW, more

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since grad school started back up I've been busy with that. Haven't had that much time to get out and dig, but now that the weather has started to turn we will be able to get into some more sites! This is a wrap up from a few hunts the last month or so at the same spot I've been hunting all summer. I found out that a lot of the land I've been swinging has been fill dirt brought in for the last 30-40 years. The owner told me that the dirt has come from ditches and from when they started paving roads. So that makes a lot more sense. Ive found so many CW buttons and relics at this site and who knows where they came from.

First up is a first for me. Union Infantry cuff button. Had just little gilt left but is in great shape. Was stoked to finally get one. Extra Quality

IMG_5321.jpg IMG_5322.jpg

Dug another General Service and this one has a great green patina on it. Scovill

IMG_5323.jpg IMG_5324.jpg

Dug my first flat button at this site from 1820's. Reads "Lewis & Tomes Standard Colour Trebble Gilt "

IMG_5325.jpg

This Great Seal is interesting. Is it part of a hat? or saddle? not sure but the back is weird.

IMG_5326.jpg IMG_5327.jpg

This tiny little ball button might be silver. I thought it might just be some aluminum trash but I thought it might be silver so i threw it in the pouch and cleaned it up later. Glad I did. Will do a silver test on it the next time I see VMI if he ever stops flying.

IMG_5329.jpg IMG_5330.jpg

Another tiny ball button was found not too far away. Not sure how old these two piece ball buttons are but I like them.

IMG_5331.jpg IMG_5332.jpg

I have dug few coins at this site. Other than the two silver Washington's and the 1853 Seated Half Dime there has been no silver. Most of them have been Wheats and Later IHP's. 1942 Wheat and 1903 IHP this time.

IMG_5333.jpg

Here is yet another small buckle. Had to be the 3rd or 4th one I've found at this site. No idea what they would have been off of or how old. cool that I've found so many of them though.

IMG_5334.jpg IMG_5335.jpg

This one killed me. This is a piece of a shoe buckle and the oldest relic found at this site so far. I wish i could find the rest of it because it looks like it would have been a really good looking one. Obviously with a lot of the dirt being fill i doubt i'll ever find the rest of it. Still pretty cool looking.

IMG_5336.jpg IMG_5337.jpg

Some random relics. 2 more garder clips/buckles. oil lamp adjuster reads "P & A CO" then a pat number i haven't fully made out yet. pieces of clay pipe, weird twirly metal thing, and other pieces or random whatitz.

IMG_5338.jpg IMG_5339.jpg IMG_5341.jpg IMG_5342.jpg

I dont dig thimbles like ever so it was nice to get one. this one I'm not sure what it says but i can see Savanah, GA

IMG_5343.jpg IMG_5344.jpg

Then of course I stumbled on another turn of century bottle dump. Dug at least 6 broken SC Dispensary bottles. Kills me everytime digging the broken pieces. Only was able to manage one intact bottle and this one even have a chip on the lip. But I'll take it. bottle reads " GEO. BREHM & SON REGISTERED BALTIMORE COUNTY, MD" Then a 4 around the bottom of the bottle. Dates from 1911-1920.

IMG_5345.jpg IMG_5346.jpg IMG_5347.jpg IMG_5348.jpg

So that it! I hope to start getting out more in the near future, maybe on some new sites and new dirt. I also have a ton of relics to look through and clean up. Your classic "not sure pouch" finds. Maybe i'll have something good hiding in there. Good luck out there!

Upvote 19

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post. Good to see you back at it!

Guessing those small buckles with the crescent are late 19th century and suspender related; could be wrong, o'course : ) Cheers!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post. Good to see you back at it!

Guessing those small buckles with the crescent are late 19th century and suspender related; could be wrong, o'course : ) Cheers!

Thanks man. Yeah the buckles are very interesting. they are so small i have no idea what they could be off of.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds! I love the condition of those buttons. We rarely find them in that good of shape. congratulations!

HH, RN

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done Stef. Some really nice finds ya got there! Love the CW buttons.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice digs!!

That little silver ball button, we find those at Spanish Mission era sites in California, typically late 1700's - early 1800's.

hh,
Cal

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your site brings back fond memories Stef. Many years ago I remember following trucks hauling large amounts of dirt from a construction site in old downtown Norfolk area which dated as far back as the 1600s. The dirt was being taken about 20 miles outside the city and used as fill for a low piece of land. Best of all was that they were spreading it out over a wide area no more than 6-8" deep, so it was very easy to check out all the dirt without missing much. It was a very productive spot with finds from the 17th thru 19th century. Too bad you don't know where the dirt came from at your site, but if you ever see a truck there you need to follow it back to the source. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread