N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mdmgrand,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

For grading bills, I use The Official Red Book--A Guide Book of US Paper Money--by Arthur L and Ira S. Friedberg. The book gives a good grade description for bills in Gem Unc, Choice Unc, Unc, About Unc, EF, VF, F, VG and G. Of course, in addition to the distinctions given, one must consider (to use an old phrase): 'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. Grading is a subjective decision based on individual biases and preferences. As you grade a bill, look for the obvious--and the obscure or 'covered up' aspects: Crispness, brightness, depth of color. Is the bill well centered? Have the creases been 'ironed' out? Does it appear that the corners have been repaired? If you hold it up to the light, can you see pinholes?
That should get you started.
Good luck,
Don.....

OP
OP
M

mdmgrand

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to collect red and blue notes. One and two dollar bills. Also I bought 3 straps of one dollar bills and got one star note. This is just to darn fun. I'm going to enjoy collecting these

OP
OP
M

mdmgrand

Nov 11, 2012
Got the book.... Oh yeah I scored!!! I need to go and look through their "junk" notes. I found a 1928 and 1928A in vf or a little better. Woot!!!!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mdmgrand,
Another book you may wish to acquire is the 'Official Red Book United States Currency' by Kenneth Bressett (forward by Q. David Bowers).
It's two year newer than the book I previous referred you to.
If you want the stated retail values for a couple of bills from that book let me know.
Don........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread