Grand Canyon Gold

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
I read a book a few years ago detailing the "reported" deaths in the Grand Canyon area since deaths were first reported in that area. One of 'em comes from the early half of the 1900's (pre 1930 I believe, lost the book when I moved from AZ to OR), where a man got lost in the canyon for several weeks. According to the report, he stumbled across a cave with several canvas bags stuffed with gold nuggets. Also according to the report, he had several nuggets in his pocket when he finally made it back to society. He died as a result of the rough experience being lost, but not before telling the nurse about what he'd found.

I lived in that area for 15 years, and always wanted to go looking. Never got the chance though.

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what book that was but I recently read a bunch of old Desert Magazines and recall seeing something similar. I believe you are talking about one of the stories of someone finding the gold stashed near Lee's Ferry. Here's a link to the issue with one of the articles.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2404619/198007-Desert-Magazine-1980-July

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
I have, or have had, a photo copy of the original newspaper article. The thing to note is that it was published on the first day after April fools day that the newspaper was published. (It was a weekly paper). I've read elsewhere on the internet about this story. Someone queried the Smithsonian who said that they had had no expeditions to Grand Canyon at this time and no one there ever heard of of the people mentioned in the paper article. That may or may not be the truth, but there are many inconsistencies with the article.

The area where the cave is supposed to be is one of the least explored areas in Grand Canyon. No, or very few, established trails go through the area so the Park Service discourages hiking there. That could be read as cover up, but then again just the way things have worked out.....

S

stefen

Many of the rumors of lost gold mines or buried treasure were found by people who died soon after telling his story...

Its almost like a fairy tale that begins like: Once upon a time.... :thumbsup:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found it odd that to this day the park doesn't allow hikers in this area. What are they hiding? Also a lot of the points have Egyptian names.

OP
OP
DoubleUgly

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Salvor6 said:
Don't know about gold nuggets but did you ever hear anything about this? http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/nov2/gazette.htm
Interesting article. Reminds me of the "Holy Grail of America" special that was on TV recently, talking about the trove of Egyptian treasures found in Missouri. That's a story for another topic, though.

This is the book I read, if y'all wanna check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Dea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266906662&sr=8-1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions