Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should check with the cruise line about this as there maybe laws in place now about this.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The cruise lines personell (whom sandman suggests talking to), if they even knew a minutia legal detail like that to begin with, probably would have gotten their answer (like if they'd been asked that question in the past by other guests), by asking powers-that-be in whatever country/state they dock in. Ie.: who better to ask, than a bureaucrat, in whatever locale you're going to, right? ::) Herein lies the problem: this has been done before (ask a lawyer or consoluate type in the state/country you intend to vacation in) and PRESTO, you get a "no". Why? Because the person being asked is couching their answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramaids, exporting gold bars, or other such things.

As an example, there has been many persons over the years, wondering if they can metal detect on Mexican tourist beaches. They get a "no" by the above means, so they leave the detectors at home. Imagine their surprise when the arrive for their vacation, and see other guys md'ing the tourist beaches, with no problems. In fact, there are even dealers there in the major cities in Mexico, South America, etc.... doh!

So sure, ask an employee of the cruise-ship if you want. But they're going to give you the safe or technical answer (ie.: "don't walk in dark alleys" etc....), and it may not be the in-actual-practice answer. Ie.: no one may really care less. But since you asked.........

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Great answer Tom_in_CA ! I think don't much overload your self antlr-king with to much question, if you not going there to dig cemeteries. beach is not a problem in most cases.

B

BIG61AL

I bring my detector to Mexico everytime I go there. As long as you don't get too close to some hotels [some of the beach is reserved strictly for thier guests only] it's no big deal. Just expect to dig alot of bottle caps and pulltabs. My oldest coin find was made in Mexico....late 18th century Chinese cash coin [minted in the millions for years and are very common finds]. Have fun and find some treasures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread