just got into the hobby

Jdub2k5

Feb 11, 2010
well I came upon this site just playing with google and it has always been an extreme interest of mine.
my father just retired and now sits around the house, I mentioned it for a fun thing to do.
well he picked up a garett gti 2500 and a fisher coinstrike(mine)

nothing major so far but it is a blast to use

still cannot figure the settings of what I want the fisher to be(just got it yesterday)

Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the sport! You guys are set up for some serious detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found the best site on the web and both posting and detecting only get better.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Read, read and read again the owners manual. Bring the manual when you go out for the first few hunts. Learn how to ground balance the machine, this is the most important setting. Some machines are auto GB, but you have to understand it and set it one way or the other. Learning what to dig, how to pinpoint it, and how to recover it should be your major considerations at this time. Bury a quarter and dime 4" deep, about 2 feet apart to get an idea of the way the machine responds.

At first, trust and use the recommended settings for sensitivity and discrimination. After 50 to 100 hours, you will know your machine well enough to start fiddlin' with these settings.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately though you have bought a good machine for both depth and working rubbish infested areas its not an easy machine to learn and get the best from.

Its got many oddities that make it unlike other machines so you should really either find a Coinstrike forum or follow instructions for the Coinstrike.

For instance the threshold control has more impact on depth than many machines. On the Coinstrike it controls how much of the returned signal it takes for the detector to produce a response.
You can lower threshold or reduce sensitivity to keep the detector stable. You should try both. On my ground it seemed better to keep threshold at 0 and reduce sensitivity. Many prefer to run at or below -10.

So controls impact on each other more than is apparent with other machines. Tracking which you would just use with say an XLT has to be considered in relation to the Threshold. The more the threshold is increased into the plus numbers the worse it seems to work. So if your running higher threshold you would be best to switch off the tracking.

As with most detectors the deeper the item and/or the higher the mineralisation the more the I.D. reading will drop towards and even into the ferrous readings.

Might be that not having much experience could turn out to be a plus for you as the general rules you would apply with other machines don't apply in the Coinstrikes case.

Best of luck

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic Coinstirke settings to start off with are sensitivity 5 threshold -25 when hunting in trashy areas. This will still give good depth on coin size targets as you don't need the higher threshold settings to hit targets the size of coins (unless of course they are real deep). The Coinstrike is quite sensitive to foil range targets so when hunting for coins only in trashy areas some users notch out the foil range to reduce the audio overload on their ears.

Older sites with an abundance of iron can be a bit tougher. An improper ground balance will create problems in iron infested spots causing iron to give false signals in the good target range. The method of ground balancing in the manual does not always give the best performance in this case. My best results were to use auto tracking to set the ground balance. Contrary to doing this over completely clean ground as warned about in the manual let the detector track over or "see" some iron during the procedure. 4 or 5 sweeps over mostly but not totally iron free ground and then turn tracking off and you should be good to go. If iron continues to false in the good target range do the procedure again.

Good luck with the Coinstrike it is a very good machine despite its few quirks. Hope this helps and please feel free to post any question you may have.

HH Tom

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Welcome to the site and hobby. It can be very rewarding, especially as you learn the detectors. You have a couple of fine detectors that should treat you well.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with it my friend! Grand times ahead of you . :headbang:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the greatest hobbie of all. You don' say where you are located at. Yes learn your detect learn to GB and dig all signals this will help you to learn. Hope to see some of your finds soon.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread