Grandmas Hidden Coins

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was visiting my grandma today and got talking about coin collecting and what not. She said oh well I have a few coins saved up too but I dot know much about them. So I'm assuming she has a few wheat pennies or something. It turns out she had jars of mercs, Indian heads, silver dimes, wheaties, buffalo nickels, a 1878 cc Morgan dollar (great great condition), another Morgan (forgot date), a couple standing liberty halves. And a few rolls of Kennedy halves! I asked her where in the world she got all these and she said she worked at a grocery store in the late fifties/early sixties and always would replace "old coins" with new ones and keep the old ones. So I offered to get her some coin cases and sheets etc to keep her collection in good shape. Didn't look through for any key dates but will when I put them in the sleeves. Not a metal detecting find by any means but definetly one of my biggest and most interesting finds/stories to date so I figured I'd share it with you guys.
Happy hunting to all

Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might not know much about them but it sounds like she was/is a wise old bird none the less.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also purchase some Whitman coin folders and put all the common dates in them.
Sounds like you have hours of fun awaiting you!
Carl

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool. I'd love to see a picture of the entire lot before you put them in books.

Mole Man

Jun 24, 2012
Longview, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

White's XLT

Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like coin collecting runs in the family :) Very cool indeed!

OP
OP
H

Hmille10

May 8, 2012
SE MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys just a quick question. I know a little about key dates such as 1909-s pennies, 1877 indians etc but what are some key dates i should lookout for? There is wheaties, mercs, standing halfs, morgans, indians, buffalos etc in the bunch so a good list would be very helpful.
Thanks!

TripletDad

Sep 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years back, my Mom showed me a pile of Peace dollars she got from her mother after she died. A few weeks later her home was broken into and we never saw them again. I've been kicking myself ever since for not getting her to put it all in a safe deposit box. Please get her to secure all that coinage before it ends up in the Coinstar at Wal-Mart...

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys just a quick question. I know a little about key dates such as 1909-s pennies, 1877 indians etc but what are some key dates i should lookout for? There is wheaties, mercs, standing halfs, morgans, indians, buffalos etc in the bunch so a good list would be very helpful.
Thanks!

ill give you any dates worth $10+ for pennies, nickels, dimes
wheats: 1909s, 1910s, 1911s, 1912s, 1913s, 1914d, 1914s, 1915s, 1922, 1922d, 1924d, 1931s, and look for the double date on 1955 wheats.
indians: any pre 1880 date, 1908s, 1909, 1909s
buffalos: all pre-1920 dates should be checked for mint marks. all are fairly valuble, 1921s, 1924s,1926s, 1931s, and the 1937d with only three legs on the buffalo
mercs: 1916d, 1921, 1921d, 1926s.
all silver half dolars are worth $10+ in silver so ill put ones worth $20+ in this list
walkers: 1916p,d,s, 1919p,d,s, 1921p,d,s, 1938d.
morgans have many varieties, so ill let you look those up yourself. :)
well there ya go. and i like the whitman folder idea. go for it! have fun with all those coins! i know i would!

Nanner

Jun 25, 2012
A
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 1100 discovery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader I LIKE your quote.... its so true. I have even went as far as drawing maps and journaling about it every chance I get ... patients... patients...patients

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot antlerman23! that will help a ton!
Ditto on that reply antlerman.
You've already mentioned probably the best coin in the lot depending on condition. The 1878 CC Morgan should be graded and slabbed if it's in as good a condition as you say it is.

here's a little info. on grading them- How To Grade Morgan Dollars: Grading Morgan Silver Dollar Images

There are also several varieties of that year, take a closer look and see which one you have -
1878 Morgan Silver Dollar

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Try to get a Red Book. It costs only $16.50 and shows you the values of US coins.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help her with cataloging,photos,protecting them from theft. They will help her with her retirement for sure,as they ain't making any new ones....

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and great story about grandma.:goldtrophy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions