• K1600_018.JPG
    K1600_018.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 103

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a few things I miss from Texas, living here in Idaho. The cardinals, blue jays, and mockingbirds were plentiful where I lived. There are lots of colorful birds here in Idaho, but no cardinals, blue jays, or mockingbirds.
That said, I don't miss the fleas, ticks, fire ants, 'fire grass', tornadoes, (although there are a few up here). Also I don't miss the almost constant high humidity.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a few things I miss from Texas, living here in Idaho. The cardinals, blue jays, and mockingbirds were plentiful where I lived. There are lots of colorful birds here in Idaho, but no cardinals, blue jays, or mockingbirds.
That said, I don't miss the fleas, ticks, fire ants, 'fire grass', tornadoes, (although there are a few up here). Also I don't miss the almost constant high humidity.

There use to be a mocking bird here,I'd whistle different tunes....he would answer the same.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm surprised to hear you don't have Blue Jay's, thought they were everywhere. How you fixed for magpies? There are hardly any magpies left in eastern Oregon.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only seen one male Cardinal in my life, and that was when we were visiting in TN. That is a great picture, what lens are you using?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great camera, the built in stabilizationmust work super, because the focus on that bird at that magnification is awesome. My eyes are bad enough that I depend on auto
focus on my 5100 with the 300mm lens. I've purchased a doubler making my lens a 600mm, but don't yet know how well it's going to work, or if it will even be able to use the auto
feature.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great camera, the built in stabilizationmust work super, because the focus on that bird at that magnification is awesome. My eyes are bad enough that I depend on auto
focus on my 5100 with the 300mm lens. I've purchased a doubler making my lens a 600mm, but don't yet know how well it's going to work, or if it will even be able to use the auto
feature.

These are shot through a double pane glass sliding door too.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a female cardinal, Males are solid red, females are more camouflaged. The state bird for the great state of OHIO. Go Buckeyes "The undisputed national champions" in college football.

O H

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a female cardinal, Males are solid red, females are more camouflaged. The state bird for the great state of OHIO. Go Buckeyes "The undisputed national champions" in college football.

O H

It's a male,I'll get a pic of a female.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cardinal was my high school mascot, so I have always liked them. Beautiful birds, even the less colorful females.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a male cardinal, just not wearing his mating colors. And, in case you are interested, here's a baby, sex undetermined. I found it, nest and all on the ground after a storm. I put it back in the tree and watched from a distance as the mother checked it out.

Attachments

• Cardinal baby.JPG
    Cardinal baby.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Got the male and female this early AM.

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• K1600_001.JPG
    K1600_001.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 55
  • K1600_005.JPG
    K1600_005.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 54

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived about 8 miles west of Waco for the last 24 years that I lived in Texas. It was off the highway about a half mile, but a small residential area. I had an acre with some trees. I had 4 pair of cardinals for the last several years, 2 pair of blue jays, and at least 3 pair of mockingbirds, along with numerous hummingbirds and other birds. Lots of cotton tails and a few squirrels.
Here, I have not seen any magpies. The last I saw was when we came through Colorado, that I remember. We got to Chimney Rock one morning and it was snowing so we pulled into a little RV campground. Spent the rest of the day and night. There were lots of magpies around there. I'd always heard of them, but that was the first I had ever seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread