fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught the tail end of a news report the other day about some revolutionary and civil war soldiers graves being dug up and stripped of the valuables but I can't find anything on the web about it. All I know is it was at an old church cemetery.
Anybody know anything more about it?
OK, I just found it. http://www.wistv.com/story/21982208...rate-and-revolutionary-clothing-from-deceased
When found the perpetrators ought to serve time, a lot of time!

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didnt hear about it but let me tell you I am sure those grave-robbers didnt find much! Civil War soldiers were rarely ever buried with their uniforms on and the most you may find is a pocket watch!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I read the title of this thread I expected to see a post about a Archaeolgist, they are the only grave robbers I have come across. Anybody who digs up graves has no morels.

SS

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they wouldnt find much, solders were stipped down in the field of all their jewlery, so not much would be left, and their were peope selling fake gold jewlery at the time,

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I don't think the story is made up,
but it seems obvious at least to me
they are exaggerating or guessing what they found and did.

removed caskets from the ground and proceeded to remove the clothes
worn by the soldiers, leaving their bones exposed.

were these cement or Iron caskets & Clothes?

although uncool in my opinion,

I think what the investigators saw was what the diggers found

Everything should have been rotted away.
at most perhaps Buttons may have been there.

Back then though even the funeral directors were known to
steal shoes , False teeth, Glasses etc. anything they could
make a buck from.

Some do it today yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, take the fact that they were soldiers out of the story. How would you feel if it were your ancestor's graves that had been vandalized? Whether the thieves found anything is really immaterial. They desecrated graves and the lowlifes should be punished!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
didnt hear about it but let me tell you I am sure those grave-robbers didnt find much! Civil War soldiers were rarely ever buried with their uniforms on and the most you may find is a pocket watch!

Why was this? If you had said Confederate soldiers only, I could understand as they were so short on supplies.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

iron casket

iron casket would make sense , less chance for rot

So, take the fact that they were soldiers out of the story. How would you feel if it were your ancestor's graves that had been vandalized? Whether the thieves found anything is really immaterial. They desecrated graves and the lowlifes should be punished!

Sorry but ancestor's from 1700's Graves ?
I know it's just me, but it wouldn't effect me :dontknow:
I never met them.

Of course Destruction of graves is Not cool anyway.
and definitely illegal.

Just saying, Bringing up being ancestor's is over rated in my personal opinion . Sorry.
and no I don't expect a Future Relative 300 years from now
to care I existed :icon_scratch: unless I'm reincarnated as them and know it :tongue3:

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stealing is bad,stealing from the dead is really bad in my book.Really are you that greedy?:dontknow:

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Many, many CW veterans were buried in their uniforms long after the war. I would bet they were after the buttons and all. Also surprised uniforms would remain.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many, many CW veterans were buried in their uniforms long after the war. I would bet they were after the buttons and all. Also surprised uniforms would remain.

We had a great flood here in Southwest Georgia in 1994 (Albany) and during that event, the old city cemetery went under the flood waters and a large number of graves were washed out. Some "popped" from the ground and floated down stream in a big hurry while others hung up in a fence line. The fence worked a sifter and kept a lot from never being reclaimed. I worked for the Albany Fire Department and was in the National Guard at the time. However, I did not see this happen in person. I was told by other firemen after the water receded, some of the dead had uniforms on that they did not recognize. By some of their accounts, what they saw must have been Civil War or Spanish American War uniforms. fyrffytr1 was a Fire Captain in Albany back then and can likely say or will know more about this. The area was quickly sealed of by the State Police (G.B.I.) and it took months or even a year or so, before the area was made public again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
Sorry, but I can't add anything to what you have already said. I was too busy evacuating folks from the south end of town. One thing I do remember is that a lot of the unidentified were reburied in a mass grave.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I all ways thought of ones that hunt civil war relics...... As grave robbers for in the battle fields.. at one time or another they have to had to dig up a body...... take what they find in the grave and then cover it back up........Then never tell any one ... Then talk about how bad grave robbers are

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the worst thing you can do dig up graves but it's not the first time I have heard of it but in the end they will pay a price they would take gold teeth and rings for drugs. Their were four of them I think and within a year or two they all died from strange things.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one of the worst thing you can do dig up graves but it's not the first time I have heard of it but in the end they will pay a price they would take gold teeth and rings for drugs. Their were four of them I think and within a year or two they all died from strange things.
... Yes things like that happen to ones like that......

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend that was held in a federal holding facility for a month, where he met some very unsavory criminals.

One perverted weirdo was a grave robber. He broke into the above ground mausoleums, and claimed to find quite a bit of jewelry.

He told my buddy all kinds of creepy stories, the only one I can remember is that he collected the hair, along with the valuables.

Can you imagine opening up a casket, and robbing a corpse? There are some sick low-lifes out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread