Grave Yard Of The Pacific

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
The Columbia river bar is one of the most deadly river bars in the world. The Oregon coast up to the Washington side of the river is refered to as the " GRAVE YARD OF THE PACIFIC " with something like 1400 or more lost ships there. I have only found one or two stories of treasure ships lost & one buried treasure in the area near Gold Beach. I swung my DFX over about 10 miles of surf line last August & all I found was some clad, one gold hat badge & two or three pieces of costume jewlery. Someone told me that it was because of the make up of the beach. Too much shifting sand & not enough rock shelf to capture anything. I am going to spend two weeks helping at NWCC camp for the deaf in July near the bar area & will have a lot of time to detect. Anyone have any better info or ideas? Spotz

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I"m begining to think that all of the coasties in Oregon who have metal detectors have this all figured out already & they just might not want to share any ideas. Spotz

OP
OP
spotz

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Thanks! Gibbs wrote three books about it. I got them all from the state library last year. They were interesting but they didn't help too much with where or how of OR beach. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread