Graveyard detecting. Yea or Nay

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what the communities opinions are on metal detecting graveyards, morally of course. Is it a perfectly logical place to hunt or is it morally unacceptable and robbing from the dead?
We're not talking well kept cemeteries obviously but rather old graveyards from decades or centuries past you might find forgotten and grown over in the woods or something like that.

Since its my question i'll tell you my opinion first (at the risk of invoking the almighty internets wrath).
I've never detected in any graveyard but whenever i come across one i end up having this argument in my head like an angel and devil arguing on my shoulders. And it goes something like this:

These people led a much harder life than me i should just let them rest in peace...but they're gone such a long time ago now...but some families and friends come and put coins on the graves...but they're all dead too by now...those coins would be old!...but they were for the dead! That's graverobbing!...but the dead weren't buried with them in the first place, so no, it's not...But they were still put here for the dead!...teenagers and homeless frequent old forgotten places like this. If they can use it why can't I?!...Because i'm not a kid or homeless...But noone comes here, the tombstones are unreadable, there's tree roots growing through the bones!.. and on and on.

Anyway, what's your thoughts?

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, if you know its a graveyard or burial you should leave it alone. It brings a negative light to the hobby.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is no, but the archies do it all the time in Egypt and elsewhere. I have found forgotten family plots in the middle of the woods from the 1700s, I stand the stones back up when needed, clear branches and leave them be. Just my opinion.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a few graveyards going back to the late 1600's abandoned in the woods. I could easily hunt them and "get away with it". But I would know and I don't feel right about doing it. There are enough other places to detect, including many where burying grounds have been plowed under and forgotten. How would you feel about someone digging where your family was buried?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. There is a LOT of land in this county and especially the one above that has been converted to state forest that is former farmland or private woodlots with small family plots. I can think of three offhand that I occasionally walk past when grouse hunting. Just wouldn't seem right to detect there - though I guess it's an individual thing. Like Megladon I stop and clear branches or try and tidy up.

I'm sure the residents are past caring one way or another.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope Nope Nope! This topic has appeared on this forum in the past and the overwhelming consensus has been don't do it.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread comes up periodically here..invoking the "Archies" on the one hand , or the long lost forgotten , and neglected markers in some deep dark woods . The title of the post is provocative to say the least - and doubtless will provoke many impassioned responses . There are millions of acre feet of land out there , that don't involve digging near graves - I think we are all better served to avail ourselves of them .Steer clear of murkey ethical dilemmas when possible !

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find a better place to hunt do the research...

If I seen a detectorist detecting in my family plot he will be wearing that detector around his neck.....find a different spot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
lets ask king Tut ? shall we ? see if he feels about it ? or has any objections ?

OP
OP
S

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see both sides of this. At the time of typing this most detector reach down about a ft and i really wouldn't care if someone were detecting over my grave for coins or whatever. That's not saying dig up my corpse and loot my grave, which has happened in old gravesites in the woods near me here...and i have read a good many posts on this very website about people going to old gravesites. In all probability i have more than likely detected over graves out in the woods without knowing it.

On the other hand like others have said, there's so many other places to hunt why even bother.

Call me heartless but i could care less. I just feel like if i did it, it might come back to haunt me one day. Literally.

If you really want to hear some messed up stuff. Find out what happens to you in a MODERN cemetary.. I've had a few friends who worked in them.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the plot area, no. however, if there is a parking area outside of the cemetery, that doesn't bother me. Have worked at a couple local cemeteries where we maintained the grass etc as well as clean up. it is a dignity or respect thing of a grave.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets ask king Tut ? shall we ? see if he feels about it ? or has any objections ?

There is a BIIIIIIIG difference between opening a tomb to find out more about a civilization we know little about..................................and digging up some guy your grandmother knew! LOL

Mike

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
There is a BIIIIIIIG difference between opening a tomb to find out more about a civilization we know little about..................................and digging up some guy your grandmother knew! LOL

Mike

If that happens yell out, "Grandmaw says Hi".

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a very old cemetery on a ridge over from me, dates back to colonial times - I've some relatives buried there. Though I have often thought about detecting the area around it, no - just can't do it.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have to ask, you already know in your gut that you shouldn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread