Graveyard detecting. Yea or Nay

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’ve never seen a real jackalope? My grandpa had one on the wall of his den!

Never seen one? Hell, I've ridden one!

wall drug sd.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 70s - it was common in new england for people to detect old cemeteries - i know of some nice finds found in them
The guys I knew that did - did get permission from ground keepers and usually stayed away from the stones - you have to remember too that back then most machines
would only go down 6-8 inches with a normal coil - they used knives to cut plugs not the shovels they use now a days.
i know someone that found a rare spanish gold coin in one out in the woods - another guy made a killing in old coins cause town held picnics and kids hung out in an old one
i did okay hitting out side of a few - you figure folks used handkerchiefs a lot in old days - guys in the pockets (with their change) women in the pocket books (with their change)
everyone got off their horses outside and out of their carriages/wagons too. Ive gotten colonial coppers outside gates at a few and LG cents and seated too. This was found outside
a real old cemetery - was probably lost in the snow.
attachment.php

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt go even if I wanted to....even with the sens down below 30 the F75 will blast past deep 6 :laughing7:

chub

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's no one correct answer to this. There are times when it's ok and times when it isn't. I am in a club and within the last year or two somebody approached the club and presented this scenario: There was a local cemetery that had been overgrown: it was a poor persons cemetery with little metal markers for the graves that were lost to the naked eye. An authority associated with the place sought people to metal detect it to find the markers and people could keep anything else (coins etc.) they found. I don't see how that scenario would be a problem or disrespectful to anyone on either side of the dirt. I've never detected a graveyard and I don't plan to either, but in the right situation I don't think it disrespects anything. There are a lot of fine lines around this issue so I think it can be done in a respectful way in some cases, but not all the time. That being said we have plenty of idiots in our pastime who leave open holes, leave trash and have no respect for anything so it's hard to imagine all of the transgressions that have probably happened with this type of detecting over time.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but it would be an awesome prank on a tv show like canada's just for laughs or our old candid camera.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember anthrax spores can survive for 50 years. Everybody remembers "The Mummy's Curse" at the pyramids. That's thousands of years old.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember anthrax spores can survive for 50 years. Everybody remembers "The Mummy's Curse" at the pyramids. That's thousands of years old.

I remember a story a few years ago where some archeologists were excavating a medieval hospital in England and they had to wear hazmat suits because they were concerned that there might still be stuff infected by the plague. Pretty crazy to think about that.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Most of gemstones and two thirds of the worlds gold was found after 1950 . What do you think is in a graveyard any way. Stale Donut . TP

stevethebeachhunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2017
Montague,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x for the wet,Garrett 1350 GTA FER THE DRY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graveyard detecting:Yay or nay??

It had /better be 'nay', because all graves are protected by law, as to unauthorized digging in cemetaries. Not only that, it shows appallingly little respect for the deceased in cemetaries, and is incredibly tacky, to do it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It had /better be 'nay', because all graves are protected by law, as to unauthorized digging in cemetaries. Not only that, it shows appallingly little respect for the deceased in cemetaries, and is incredibly tacky, to do it.

Where do you get your incorrect information?? There are NO laws that protect all graves. This thread isn't about digging up graves anyways, just digging in the top eight or so inches of soil. The main park in Denver, CO is built on top of an old cemetery and many other places are built over cemeteries. All older cities in the US have been built over cemeteries as they expand and need to erect more buildings. I have seen two cemeteries in my county totally bulldozed for housing developments, bones all over the place. You need to read some of the previous posts, many cemeteries are privately owned and the owners can and sometimes do give permission to hunt there. Cemeteries on church grounds can be hunted with the pastor's permission, it has been done many times in many places. If it didn't bother the pastor why should it bother his flock? It usually doesn't. If you think it disrespects the dead that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it but you cannot foist your beliefs on others. If you don't like it, don't do it, but there will still be plenty of folks who hunt those old abandoned cemeteries and nobody ever knows they were there. In the early days of metal detecting magazines and books said the three best places to hunt for dropped coins were schools, churches, and cemeteries, and many people hunted those spots with permission. It is only since the advent of the internet that people began saying they were off limits, and that is only because of their personal beliefs, not because there are laws against it.

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have detected in an old cemetery and not even have known it... I know I have. There was an old school where I grew up, the original building was built in the 1880's but had been replaced in the 1920's. My cousin went to that school and back in the 80's before it was torn down to make way for a supermarket we detected the place hard. I planned to go back after the building came down to see what I could find once the paved areas were taken up, and see if there were privy's from the original building....

I never got to though, turns out that whole area had been a cemetery before the school was originally built, and the graves "moved" in the 1870's. It seems though that all that was moved were the headstones and maybe a few of the wealthier families ancestors. As soon as they started digging there they started finding bones, called in archeologists from the local college, and I never got a chance to go back after they removed them all. After that I found out that a couple of other old schools in the town (which I had also detected) had been built over graveyards, as well as one small neighborhood on the edge of town.

So check your old maps, sometimes what was there before the building or park you're detecting around might surprise you

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Cheesman Park and some of the surrounding neighborhood as well as the Botanic Gardens is built on an old cemetery.

As long as I don't dig up a finger with a ring on it, I'm fine.

I did a small old abandon cemetery out in the woods back in the 1980's. Found a wheat penny and that was it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Happens all the time. A lot of cemeteries just had the headstones removed. Many had unmarked graves. Its widely accepted in my own town that there are bodies in a local park and under houses built beside it.

Many of our favorite reservoirs we like to boat and fish and swim in have full cemeteries under the water.

Many current homes and cities are built over ancient cemeteries.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Phase 5 of the development is right here..... "What about the cemetery? Oh, we'll move it 5 minutes away......"

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
are there any other ancient pharoah"s we should consult on this matter ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions