Graveyards

Diggin Deep

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2004
New Hampshire
Hi Everyone, I love reading all the posts. So very interesting. I need some suggestions. I have this compulsion to use my metal detector in cemetery's. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything but is it considered taboo?
I know I would find a lot of old coins there. Will I get arrested ? How does anyone else feel on this subject? :-\ :-\ :-\

Upvote 0

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Pistolero!

It is in Stanfield, Oregon. The historical society has lready done it's thing there & we used inmate labor to clear the brush last year, but it is still officially "abandoned to Nature". Most of the head stones are broken & about 30 years ago, someone put wood frames around the pieces to keep them reasonably intact. About 15 graves were moved at some time in the past but there is no official record of who or where. There are 36 names registard & only 16 graves remain & several of those are unidentifiable.

If I win the lottery, it is on my list of restoration projects.

Spotz

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I did a GOOGLE search yesterday, on one of the names on the pictured headstones.? It came back on Rootsweb.?

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/or/umatilla/cemeteries/foster.txt

It seems that in 1937 some work was done there by the WPA to catalog the graves.? The report there also mentions a property owner for the cemetary. That might be a starting point to trace who is the owner of the property today. There is a listing of the readable graves that were there at the time.? There is a listing from the records of that cataloging.

Later, in 1963, another survey was done and some of the previously cataloged graves could not be found. Again there is another list of what should be there.? ? Some stones were mentioned as broken and others, that were made of wood, were no longer there.? It was mentioned and dated around 1965, that there were a couple of coffin sized holes observed.? Also, it is believed that the actual cemetary might extend beyond the boundries of the existing site.? ?

I am assuming that the Rootsweb listing is the same as the cemetary that is mentioned here.? The Cemetary name is the same., stone inscription seems the same.? Both are listed as Oregon.? I looked up Andrew P. Tribble.?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread