Great Big GOLD! Rusty old horse shoe still had some Luck in it afterall !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
<Yes I *DID* the Chicken Dance!> YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWWW

Hi gang! To say that I had a good day today would be like saying that most of you sort of like to metal detect. <guffaw> I got to get out and indulge in this hobby a bit this morning.. well late morning early afternoon anyway. A day off from work, with no pressing chores from the "Honey Do" list, I pressed my luck with the forcasted rain that was supposed to enter my part of the state. The state of Kentucky for those who don't know me. I loaded up my detector in my little truck and, made sure I had fresh batteries, headed out to a nearby town with a HUGE soccer complex.
I've posted finds here that I've made at this very same soccer complex as I've been there on many hunts.. it's one of those places that never seems to get "hunted out". Today's hunt was no exception. A little different perhaps, but no exception, I was greatly rewarded for my diligence and perseverance. (Oooh Big words... must be something good huh?) <laughing> Yeah it is..er.. was.. something good. Lots of somethings!
In the past, when I've hunted this soccer complex, I've relegated my detecting to the sidelines, the seating areas, and the paths around and to and from the concession stands. Oh, and the gravel parking lots.. always producers those are. Today, however, I thought I'd try a novel approach. Well, novel for me anyway. This might sound like a "DUH" moment to many of you, but I've kind of stayed off the actual playing fields figuring that they probably wouldn't be very productive. I mean I played sports, Football.. even soccer, and when I did we athletes usually didn't have much in the way of anything in our pockets while we were playing. I guess that was just me or something, because apparently the kids today (and adults alike) *DO* run around playing with pocketsfull of change and goodies. All the better for the likes of me and my fellow detectorists! ChaCHING!
What got me hunting on the playing fields was a moment of serendipity! A revelation or at least a realization of a practice that I'd somehow overlooked until this morning. At this soccer complex, as with others like it everywhere I'm sure, the nice big playing fields or "pitches" are trimmed and laid out and "lined" for full size fields.. most of the time. However, some of the time they are also rearranged to make smaller playing fields for the halfpints or little kids games.. kind of like half the size of the full size fields. When the fields are "downsized" the seating areas are moved around as well.... hmmmmm.. so sometimes the seating areas are actually ON the full sized playing fields! ??? <click goes the lightbulb over my head> Well DUHHHHHH <laughing>
And so I began.. I detected, a grid hunt, down the entire length of one playing field (downsized), and back.. and down and back and down and back... sweeping lanes about three or four feet wide (I don't have terribly long arms after all). And I found coin. LOTS OF COIN! Oddly though, save for a few memorial cents near one goal post EVERYTHING had to be dug up. Quarters, dimes, a few nickles, a handfull of pennies.. but not a single.. nary even one lone pull tab!! *GASP* I didn't know that was even possible! I don't care where I've hunted in the past, I've never EVER detected without finding at least ONE pull tab. Weird!
Weird or not I was having a ball! Not a soccer ball, just a good time. Detecting that is. Oh never mind. <sheepish grin> Sometimes the jokes work, sometimes, not so much. Eh.. <shrugging> Anyway. Having a good time detecting, even though it was hot and humid and I was sweating buckets I was digging coins almost every other step it seemed. Well.. ok, every few yards or so, but they were numerous. I soon lost count even. <smile> I had my little Prizm IV wide open as far as discrimination goes, I was nearly in all metal mode, detecting everything other than iron. Well at one stretch of the field it got a little quiet so I even opened up the iron slot.. and my detector went nuts! Now reading posts from other "Pro's" here at T'Net, I've learned that that can be a good thing.. detecting a lot of iron present. It's a little unnerving at first, to hear all those signals that were previously masked by that one little discrimination slot. A lot of deep signals ringing up on my display.. I dug up several nails and a file and even a screw driver and a piece of re-bar.. all of which went into the nearest garbage can as I past by. I tuned out the iron after that and went back to just digging likely coin targets. For a while. Then I got a wild hair and let the iron out again. BANG! A big target, just a few inches deep, just a few feet from the goal line. I dug thinking that it was probably going to be some more trash or some nails or something. As it turned out, however, it was this big honkin' rust encased horseshoe. Cool! Then I remembered, this soccer complex sits on the site of a former Thoroughbred Horse Farm. <rolling eyes> Yeah.. Horses.. horseshoes! Still cool though, I put it in my bag.. maybe it would bring me some luck if it had any left in it. I mean hey.. the HORSE "Lost" this shoe.. how lucky is that? <chuckle>

8-24-08 009shoe.jpg

WELL Let me tell you! That shoe must have had SOME luck left in it. Just a few feet from digging up the horseshoe, I got a big coin ping! My Prizm was SCREAMING at me.. 50cent coin or bigger! So down on hands I knees I dropped after pinpointing the target. Between two and four inches my machine indicated, and solid! I carved out a nice big plug, nearly a foot across, and flipped it over then pulled out my Bullseye and ran it over the exposed soil. Oh it was there alright! just a little bit deeper.. I brushed some loose dirt out of the way and scraped a bit more with my digger, and was rewarded with yellow glint of reflected light.
Yellow? <raised eyebrows> YELLOW? There a little over three inches down in the dry packed dirt of that soccer field, just a few feet from the goal line, was the unmistakable yellow glint of GOLD! As big as a Freakin Half Dollar and as shiny as a newly minted coin! GOLD!
My heart skipped a beat.. then another.. then started to do the jitterbug with a scratchy hip-hop "Wikka-Wikka-Wikka-Weeeeee" My palms were sweating, my mouth was dry, the ground was spinning and I felt dizzy because the clouds were dancing.. then I realized that it wasn't the clouds, the ground was spinning because I was doing the chicken dance and didn't even realize it.. <rolling eyes> Then I also realized that I had not actually pulled the coin out of the dirt yet! <ROLLING EYES> Excited a little..you think?
Well, it may or may NOT be a gold coin, gold plated perhaps, but it's not legal tender. *sigh* What I pulled out of the dirt, shiny yellow, gold or not.. was this commemorative coin. For the love of.. <I won't finish that thought>.. Anyway.. it was truly exciting. A find that I will not soon forget, with that I could in some ways though. What I'd like to know is how did a one year old coin come to be nearly four inches down in the dirt? UNDER the grass and all that ... here's my "fool's Gold" .. or is that "Fro's Gold" ? <laughing>

8-24-08 007goldback.jpg 8-24-08 008goldfront.jpg

Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention that I'd found a dog tag. Litterally, a tag for a dog. An "AKC" tag, but still a dog tag. I'd found that a while before the horseshoe actually, but you can see it here with GOLD coin. *sigh*
I still had nearly half a "half size" soccer field to detect after finding the commemorative soccer coin, but the skies were beginning to darken with the ominous approach of the rain that had been forcasted for today. There was no thunder and more importantly, no lightning.. yet.. at that point, so I kept on detecting. I detected and dug and detected and dug coin after coin after coin.. even after it did start to drizzle a bit. The wind picked up but it felt good, certainly cooled things down after being in the hot sun for a couple of hours. As I neared the end of the last "lane" along the far side of the soccer field, I heard my first rumbling of thunder in the distance. Even through my headphones. Glancing up I saw a tell tale flash of lightning in the distance and that flipped a switch in my gold fevered single minded metal detector brain.. "TIME TO GO!" I turned off my machine and beat feet to my truck. I loaded up my detector and gear and was pulling out of the parking area when the skies opened up.
WHOO BOY! did the skies EVER open up. Talk about your deluge! Very VERY heavy rain. The Lexington Bluegrass Airport reported 1.66 inches of rainfall in less than 2 hours. Cars were hydroplaning, trucks were jackknifing, lightning knocked out traffic signals and electrical service for thousands of homes. I mean DANG! After almost the entire month of August with little to no rainfall, we get a whole month's worth in a couple of hours! Ok, so it's not as bad as the rain that this system dropped on Florida.. thank you Miss Tropical Depression Fay.. but even though we needed the rain here in Central Kentucky, I kind of wish it had been a bit more on the gentle side of MONSOON! <laughing> Partly due to the fact that I VERY much want to go back to the soccer complex again tomorrow and hunt MORE playing fields! YEEEHAAAAAWWWW!!!!

I might even pack along that rusty horseshoe in my finds bag. <grinning>

Here's everything from today.. well.. short of the aforementioned horseshoe that you've allready seen.

8-24-08 004everything.jpg

A whopping $12.35 in clad and not a single solitary Pull Tab! WAY COOL!

*sigh* Just wish that big old gold coin was actually a BIG OLD GOLD coin.. <grin>

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

P.S.
I did get out for an abbreviated hunt last Wednesday, I didn't get around to posting anything about it till now though. Not that it was anything spectacular, just a quick hunt in a local park around the ball courts and picnic tables. I found some clad, some clothing (well, belt buckles anyway.. one looks old.. perhaps horse tack rather than clothing related.. the small one in the picture.) I found some pencils, pens, a big honkin' aluminum nail or spike.. probably a gutter nail. There were two pieces of copper pipe, different sizes, a lead "egg" fishing weight ? (no water remotely nearby?) Lots of pull tabs of course, and then there was the one Sac dollar coin. That was cool. Not spectacular, but nice to find all the same. Here's the pic for that hunt.. all in one shot.

8-24-08 002Sacbuckle.jpg

<grin> Now.. back to the soccer complex.. Yeah Booooyyyyyy!

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frod, I would be happier that a pig in ca ca on all that clad.. :thumbsup:

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice digs, man! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's funny, but those are almost the exact same types of finds I've made at my local soccer fields. Almost no pull-tabs, tons of quarters, and tons of those big coin-flipping type of things. I pulled 11 of those out of one field in a two day stretch. My guess is that the ref's use them at the start of games.

Hang in there, there's silver and gold "kicking" around out there! :tongue3:

A tip: search the areas around the goals, the sidelines and the circle in the center of the field the hardest, as that's where the majority of my coin and jewelry finds came from.

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Nice digs! And talk about a tutorial on how to hunt soccer fields... :thumbsup: I've been eyeing one at a local park here, might have to go give it a shot. And thanks for your heads-up af1733, I'll try that.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
wow, that sounds like a great day of diggin. And man, that is a ton fo clad! I dont think I could leave to hunt elsewhere for a long time. and thanks to you all for the feild tips, ill definatly put those to use soon.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did real good, keep it up!

HH,
Ramapirate

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I've hunted a nearby soccer complex many times and have always hunted the fields of play since the park guys move around the soccer fields for different age groups as well as to prevent "wear spots" over the spring and fall seasons. I love finding those commemorative coins....some have the soccer tournament names/year of play and are very colorful. WTG Fro. Nice clad count.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
WHEW!!! felt like i just read "war and peace". ;D nice finds and lots of them. thanks for the info and the novel(no pun intended) approach to hunting large soccer fields.

Kiwini

Greenie
Jul 22, 2008
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett VLF/TR Deepseeker 5.5" coil, White's CoinMaster 2000/D
Awesome digs! I wish I was with you- I've never seen anyone do the chicken dance on a soccer field ;D

R

RUDY2003

Every bit an exciting adventure Fro! As always, a light hearted romp picking the ground clean with deliberate goals. Great story buddy and real nice Pile of coin........

Keep safe...

Keith

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Hi Frodov, I see we use the same detector. I also hunt my local soccer fields, baseball fields and schools. My clad count is somewhat comperable (well mabey somewhat less than yours...) but lately I have been concentrating on my quarter and nickel signals. It has been paying off with 2 silver rings and a little 10K gold ring. I do dig a lot of pull tabs, but thats the price you pay when looking for the gold! I used to, as you said, keep to the sidelines but others on this forum advised me to cover the entire field. (re: Juju) I live near a very large sports facility with appx.8 - 10 full sized soccer fields, 6 smaller size soccer fields on one side of the road, and 6 baseball diamonds and 3 football fields on the other side of the road! I have lots of territory to cover!!!

I always enjoy your long and "<animated>" posts. Are you a writer? I obviously am not! but I love to read. Good luck in future hunts.

Jim

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Frodov,
Super post!!! A must see-you chicken dancing.
May the next gold coin be a really nice gold coin.
Joe

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
TN-Joe said:
Frodov,
Super post!!! A must see-you chicken dancing.
May the next gold coin be a really nice gold coin.
Joe

No.. you probably would regret seeing ME do the chicken dance.. I'm sure it's not a pretty sight to behold. <laughing> But when the urge hits you to actually DO the chicken dance, it doesn't matter what it looks like I guess.. <laughing>

Frodov

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice interesting pile! There must not be too many folks in your area interested in detecting. That can be a great plus for you! You found a lot for one day! Congrats!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
jimb said:
Nice interesting pile! There must not be too many folks in your area interested in detecting. That can be a great plus for you! You found a lot for one day! Congrats!

I liked it too! Check out the post for the very next day (today).. almost a repeat performance!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Very way cool on the clad count buddy! Sorry about the fools gold, but at least you'll remember where you found it! :wink:

HH,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread