Great Day!!!!!

KenO

May 16, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites
Stopped in a couple banks this morning on the way home. Asked the teller if she had any half dollars. She said that she had a couple, but the teller said that she had a single roll that she just put back in the valt. When the teller brought them out to me and i saw the date 1968 written on the side i thought to my self this is to good to be true. The lady teller then went on to tell me that im a couple days late that she sent five rolls back yesterday. The only reason she didnt send these is was that it was short one. At this point i just wanted to get to my car and see if there were in deed any 1968 halfs in the roll or somebody was just playing mind games. See the photos and you can see.

photo7.JPG photo8.JPG

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! to bad that 1 is clad, but still a great score ! 2.8025 ozT for $9.50 !

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can she send five rolls back? Back where, to the fed?

Because, if I understood correctly, dimes, quarters and halves have to be sent back in $1000 bags. (Pennies = $50, Nickels = $200).

My suspicion, the others rolls said silver, barber, walker, franklin and 1964.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PhattyB said:
How can she send five rolls back? Back where, to the fed?

Because, if I understood correctly, dimes, quarters and halves have to be sent back in $1000 bags. (Pennies = $50, Nickels = $200).

My suspicion, the others rolls said silver, barber, walker, franklin and 1964.

That's a great question Phatty. I've been told pretty much the same thing, that I should have been in last week cause they just sent them out. Don't know how many they sent out but it was all of them and probably not $1000 on the nose. Probably a lot less. On the other hand, most tellers are so happy to have me take their halves that it seems like sending them out is not an option that is available to them. Love to hear someone answer this.

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I was also told at a bank this week that they can't send out halves unless they have $1000

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably, the other halves were 90%, and the coins were sent out to her house (she could not know about 40%).

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great question Phatty. I've been told pretty much the same thing, that I should have been in last week cause they just sent them out. Don't know how many they sent out but it was all of them and probably not $1000 on the nose. Probably a lot less. On the other hand, most tellers are so happy to have me take their halves that it seems like sending them out is not an option that is available to them. Love to hear someone answer this.

There is a bank by my house that is the main branch for the whole bank. It has all of the offices and stuff at this location. Anyways many of their smaller banks bring in extra rolls and bags of coins to them. I have been told that another one of their banks brought in the bag of 100 Ikes or rolls of halves that I have bought. So I think that when they say "we shipped them out" they send them bank to their head bank.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Back when I was a teller there was no set rule on what we could send back that was ever communicated to us, but what we understood was that it had to be a substantial quantity of coin (at least half a box) for us to ship it out. If it was just a few rolls we had to hang onto it until someone requested them or we got in enough to justify sending it out. This was a mid-sized regional bank of probably about 100 branches across two states.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread