Great find. ID help?

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got for an hour today. Found a nice little Wading River point and then this beauty. I'm not quite sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG

Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a possible un-notched poplar island point. The other was a ovoid blade but does not have the tear drop look of a ovoid blade...................GTP

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. The point is a Wading River. Very common around here. It's the ovoid blade that I am curious about. I've never found anything like it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are very nice. But I do prefer the blade

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pancake, great looking finds. Those are two very nice pieces.

I find that same type of Blade here on some of my sites. We call them Bi-Pointed Knives or Leaf Blades. Ours date from the Late Woodland to the Ft Ancient. I can show you mine if you'd like to see them.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks GR. That time frame would make sense with this as the Wading River point dates from the woodland period and I found them very close together.
I'd love to see yours.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Woodland period also had a 2 sided point. Is this the same?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pancake, these are the 4 I have all from the same site. I also added some pics of the best one and some of the site tray. This site dates from Early Woodland to Ft Ancient Culture and is about a 1/2 mile from a huge Ft Ancient Village and is probably the original small Village site that eventually became the huge Ft Ancient Village.

Attachments

• Bonzo022.jpg
    Bonzo022.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Pics-447.jpg
    Pics-447.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 95
  • Pics-446.jpg
    Pics-446.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85
  • Pics-445.jpg
    Pics-445.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 90
  • Pics-444.jpg
    Pics-444.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reaper, those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Am I right in thinking they would have had a bone or antler handle? Most of the knives I've found are much cruder in nature.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got back out to the same spot for 20 minutes on my lunch break just now and found another one less than a foot from where I found that one yesterday.
IMG_3835.JPG

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The point is a Wading River. Very common around here. It's the ovoid blade that I am curious about. I've never found anything like it.

i was talking about the knife when i said un-notched poplar island.......

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find some more dont forget us. We would like to see them

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 2nd one really does look like an un-notched Poplar Island, but unlikely given the first one, and maybe you're finding pieces from a cache? Just a thought.....

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got another 1/2 hour at the site today and found these three. A broken point, a cruder but fully intact small blade and a larger broken blade. These, as well as the others three, were all found within about 2-3 feet of each other. If it doesn't snow, I am hoping to get some decent time in at this site tomorrow.
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are like bi-pointed blades, just not as big as they are down south and out west. One being un-notched is likely unless it is a spilled cache then it is more then likely. Finding three of them on one site depending on how far apart they were found could be the sign of a pre-form cache. I keep leaning towards poplar preforms because I have found a slate one that looks like your pieces. I thought it was poplar knowing they share same form. I'm pretty good with eastern point types, i have never seen that type in the books. I'm starting to think that these pieces possibly were learned technology from the Ft. Ancient Culture or were these Ft. Ancient people and there range was further then what was documented?? It is something to think about.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At the link is a nice bi-pointed blade from a RI collection. These are called Boats blades, after the Boats site in Ma. And they are usually large, as the one at the link is. Whether they are as old as some would suggest is a subject of debate, but just thought this was a killer bi-pointed knife:

Boats Blade Paleo Biface Cast

i have found one bi-pointed leaf knife, as they're called here, assigned to Late Archaic-Middle Woodland. Most of the time, they are not bi-pointed and more like Adena blades, but a minority are bi-pointed. They usually have nice edge work all around, and this one does. I believe the notch at one end is ancient damage and not a notch. It's 4 inches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions