Great find. ID help?

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got for an hour today. Found a nice little Wading River point and then this beauty. I'm not quite sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG
IMG_3828.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Pancake, after you stop finding artifacts from the same spot put them all in a frame and on the back label where they came from. Keep them together and dont mix them with future finds. Then after you have been collecting for a few yrs and you have frames from all different places you will actually enjoy your collections more. Some people make the mistake of mixing up their finds and then you have all different periods. I keep mine from getting mixed up. Keep finding those and thanks for the view, rock

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pancake, GTP, there is one point type that comes close at times, Rossville, one or two illustrated here by Ritchie that look like bi-points. Namely, numbers 7 and 13. So it's possible your bi-points are falling within the range for Rossville points, and since much of what you find is Woodland, that might be the answer. Might, not a point guru. In my personal collecting experience, Rossvilles usually have at least the slightest of shoulders, as nearly all do at this page...

New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@ Pancake, after you stop finding artifacts from the same spot put them all in a frame and on the back label where they came from. Keep them together and dont mix them with future finds. Then after you have been collecting for a few yrs and you have frames from all different places you will actually enjoy your collections more. Some people make the mistake of mixing up their finds and then you have all different periods. I keep mine from getting mixed up. Keep finding those and thanks for the view, rock

Charl,
As always, thanks for the info.
The Rossville is the closest thing I could come up with as well. I looked through Ritchie's 'Archaeology of Martha's Vineyard' but couldn't find anything like this find. I am fairly sure that this site has a long history of occupation. I found the drilled soapstone bowl piece 15 feet from these blades. They were also found at a deeper depth than I am usually finding artifacts. In Ritchies book he describes finding more recent finds literally on top of older ones from thousands of years of occupation (not necessarily continuous) on the same sites. and I have a feeling that is whats going on here. I started digging here because it looked to me to be an obvious site to set up camp and I believe that I am right. It's interesting because the other site that I have been digging has produced nothing but woodland pieces.

OP
OP
P

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got the the spot for another half hour at the end of the day today. Found another blade or I guess possibly a large point.
IMG_3943.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your tearing it up. Now 2 different Lithics. Shows they were there for a while. No telling what you will find next.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread