Great Salt Plains Lake Buried Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In 1811, Sans Orielle, an Osage Indian, with others of his tribe, guided Major George C. Sibley, Indian Agent from Fort Osage, Missouri, and his party to Salt Plains. They are thought to have been the first white men to see the Plains, which Major Sibley called the Grand Saline. The Salt Fork of the Arkansas River, flowing around the plain, was known to the Osages as Nescatunga (big salt water). Another early day explorer to see the Plains was Capt. Nathan Boone, who headed a Government expedition from Fort Gibson into what is now central Kansas in 1843.

The Great Salt Plains have been the scene of many Indian Councils, both of war and peace. In drafting the treaty which defined the territory to become the so called permanent home of the Cherokees in 1828, the United States Government withheld the Salt Plains area with the provision that, "The right is reserved to the United States to allow other tribes of red men to get salt on the Great Salt Plains in common with the Cherokee Tribe." The value of the Plains lay not in its salt alone, but in the rich hunting afforded by the animals migrating there for the salt supply, and possession of this area is said to have been the muse of many Indian battles.

In the earliest of the settlement of the Indian Territory, Western Kansas and Texas cattlemen sent wagons to the Plains to haul away great loads of salt. A local legend of interest concerns a cache of gold that was reportedly buried in the vicinity of the dam. In 1850, five men were returning to Missouri from California with fourteen bars of gold. In the vicinity of the present dam, they were attacked by Cheyenne-Arapaho Indians, three of the men being killed. The two remaining men wrapped the gold in a buffalo calfskin and buried it, marking the spot with an end-gate rod from their wagon. At least one of the men survived, since in 1901 Carl Sheldon arrived in the area with a map showing the location of the buried gold. Mr. Sheldon continued to search for the gold until 1940 when he was forced to leave because of the dam construction. In 1904, Sheldon had sample of the material from the drill bit assayed and traces of gold and the hide reportedly were found. Due to shaft cave-ins and movement by underlying quicksand, this was the closest Sheldon came to finding the gold.

HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT

The Great Salt Plains Dam and Lake located on the Salt Fork of the Arkansas River is the oldest Corps of Engineers’ project in the Tulsa District, authorized by Congress in the Flood Control Act of 1936. The Little Rock District started construction in September of 1938. When the Tulsa District was organized in July of 1939, the project was placed under their jurisdiction and was completed in July of 1941 at a cost of some $4.6 million.

http://www.swt.usace.army.mil/recre...?tblMessages__LakeName=Great Salt Plains Lake

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Gypsy, I spent 99% of my early days at Great Salt Plains State Park in Jet, OK....fishing and swimming. I know it used to be ok to MD the beach there, but am wondering what the rules are now. Can anybody tell me? I figure with all of the hoopla about the corps of engineers thingy, that it would now be a no-no.

After the CTH, Gypsy, you ought to take the girls to see the Salt Plains....Until recently, you could dig salt crystal formations from the ground. There was a temporary halt on digging the crystals...don't know if they have reinstated it or not.
--Mel

borninok

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well, part of the time Dad was trying to teach me how to swim; and part of the time, Dad was trying to teach me to fish for mudcats. Learned how to catch them....then came the trick of skinning them. Of course, a huge portion of my time (when my parents weren't looking) was watching girls on the beach..... :o :o :o :o. Years later here on the east coast, I have to laugh now because here...we eat shrimp....back then...we used shrimp for bait.......as well as grasshoppers and worms.

There were so many tales back then of treasure buried in the lake...and I always had dreams of catching a treasure chest on my fishing line....never happened, obviously. ;D ;D

Checking out the state park website, I see that they limit the collection of the salt crystals from Apr to Oct 15...but on another website I saw that they had temporarily halted digging for the crystals. But then again, I had heard that it had been reinstated. Since it's so close to the farms that my uncle owns (*used to be my grandparents' farms), I am hoping to visit the park and maybe MD the beach there...provided it's allowable. Your girls would love the park........the red shale hills that seem to go for miles and miles......and of course, the moo-moo cows...ha/ha

Thanks for posting this topic, Gypsy...brought back some really great memories.
---Mel

borninok

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
borninok said:
Gypsy, I spent 99% of my early days at Great Salt Plains State Park in Jet, OK....fishing and swimming. I know it used to be ok to MD the beach there, but am wondering what the rules are now. Can anybody tell me? I figure with all of the hoopla about the corps of engineers thingy, that it would now be a no-no.

After the CTH, Gypsy, you ought to take the girls to see the Salt Plains....Until recently, you could dig salt crystal formations from the ground. There was a temporary halt on digging the crystals...don't know if they have reinstated it or not.
--Mel

borninok

Mel,

I don't know if Salt Plains is open to crystal hunting yet, but thought you would find this article intresting, seeing as how you spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Published: May 04, 2007 01:15 am
Incendiary devices found near chemicals at Salt Plains dig area

By Scott Fitzgerald, Staff Writer

JET -- New evidence unearthed at Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge, where World War II-era chemical warfare training agents were discovered nearly two weeks ago, suggests Army officials attempted to destroy what they had buried.

U.S. Depart-ment of Fish and Wildlife spokeswoman Victoria Fox said Thursday 12 incendiary devices measuring a foot long were found at the site.

Authorities have found 130 glass vials of blistering solutions used in World War II chemical warfare training kits after a Bartlesville Boy Scout unearthed a vial on April 21.

"There was some evidence to suggest an attempt to destroy the vials in the same holey. But the fact the water table is so high, it didn't work out," Fox said.

The hole measured 31/2 feet deep during the initial dig when the vials were discovered.

An Army explosives ordnance disposal team from Texas arrived at the site -- about a mile from the public entrance to the crystal digging site -- Thursday. They took the incendiary devices and conducted their own successful explosion.

"They (incendiary devices) were taken two miles out on the Salt Plains in a safe area and exploded because they were unstable," Fox said.

The crystal digging area, which encompasses approximately 40 acres of a 300-acre designated area for public exploration of salt crystals, has remained closed since the first vial was discovered.

The Boy Scout, digging for crystals, accidentally broke one of the vials, exposing him to a yellowish liquid inside. The boy started coughing, and the material made his eyes burn and his nose run, but he has suffered no lingering ill effects, officials said.

The area will remain closed until the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers completes a safety assessment of the entire crystal digging site after the materials are removed, Fox said.

Refuge officials also are asking anyone who may have kept vials they found as souvenirs to contact local law enforcement.

The chemicals are not lethal but are dangerous, as they can cause skin irritation, Fox said.

Some of the vials contain diluted mustard gas and lewisite in a solution of mostly chloroform, according to the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency. Other vials contained diluted solutions of chemicals such as chloropicirin, pure phosgene or cyanogen chloride.

An Army chemical unit from Aberdeen, Md., has been at Salt Plains for about a week conducting treatment and handling of the chemical agent identification sets.

Between 1942 and 1946, part of the Salt Plains area was used by the military as a bombing range. Army Corps of Engineers officials said the area where the vials and incendiary devices have been found was not a part of the bombing range.

TW

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Gypsy,

Didn't mean to sleight you, as allways...a very good story with a lot of detail.
Thank you, and keep up the good work ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions