Treasure Maps

K

Kentucky Kache

Don't put alot of trust in treasure maps. Would you sell a map to a hidden treasure? Who would.

OP
OP
C

Chipdoo

Greenie
May 24, 2007
I agree with you.
I was just wondering if there any out there that are the real deal? Like being carbon tested to reveal it is in fact 300 years old or something like that.

-Chip

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hola Joe,

I have seen one that was drawn on a cache in Half Moon Gulch outside of Leadville CO.

The land marks seem right but I only had one day to check it out. I'll have to get back to you on the rest of it's authenticity.

I'll probably get a chance at it next year after this house is finished. First things first.
She who must be obeyed, must be happy or I won't have any play time , of any kind.

LOL
OD

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog ]
Hola Joe, I won't have any play time , "of any kind." LOL OLD DOG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duh, being an innocent, secluded saint type, can you clarify this? You mean no panning or fishing?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I have seen a couple maps carved on secluded cliff faces in the royal Spanish style that were accurate to the inch.
I have also seen a couple that when the cache was found were accurate give or take a fppt or so.

OD

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
YO Rebel.

Don't place all your trust in treasure hunters university,
The guy isn't allways right .
And his info is copied from other folk's material.

Very little original stuff in there.
Yes it ir redily available, but there is just as much that is as accurate and as available right here on TN in Treasure marks and signs.
Need more? ask, someone will answer.

Some of the most knowledgble sign hunters are right here on TN.

OD

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo! ;D Thanks, OD! I am looking for ONE web-site with EVERYTHING organized... HawkEye has done that. I am ONLY a researcher; you are "out in the field"; please be specific about inaccurate info provided by HawkEye. I am sure TN pp have GOOD info; please coordinate a THREAD to organize it like THU; I just DO NOT have the time to review each & EVERY THREAD, as I think TH'ers do that "hunt & recovery" enough as it is... let's us try to get "one site fits all" kinda thing. It is TRUE that THU info MOSTLY pertains to treasures in the SOUTH WEST USA, BUT! at least it is a helpful start... ;)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rebel,

Most of the time the problem that many sign hunters never figure out in the South West and surrounding area is that they are dealing with as many as 5 or 6 different sets of signs. Only 2 of these are even discussed on THU and then only briefly.
The Jesuit signs and Royal Spanish are only two and they are left so incomplete as to how they work in conjunction with each other or even how they work as a trail.
Using the theory offered at THU many times , the best one can do is say
"Oh, Golly gee whiz , I found one!"

I'm not trying to be facetious. just stating the obvious.

There are also older signs not of native origin that are evident as well as a concurrent set that is meant to hide the caches from the Spanish and Jesuits.
As well as one that copies the Spanish and is used into the mid 20th century by the forest service.
There is also another set or two that relate to the later 19th century involving Outlaws and More recent miners, and THers who left their own trails.

it can be very confusing if THU is the only source you feel you have time to use.

You are an exelent researcher yourself, you know it pays to look at the best sources. I was just giving you a better one that may take some time to use but will give more info in the long run.

Old Dog

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Treasures...

Yo! ;D THANKS. OD! THAT is what I am looking for... can "WE", as a TN THing COMMUNITY, compile signs, etc. for the WHOLE USA? I am on the EAST coast; I find trail/thong trees, CARVED "signs" on trees & BOULDERS/BLUFFS; focus is on Virginia, North Carolina... :) We know the native people (MOSTLY Cherokee) let the Spanish know where SILVER MINES were... we know the Spanish miners were looking for GOLD, and made the Cherokee "work" the SILVER mines in Georgia, South Carolina, possibly in North Carolina, Tennessee, and South West Virginia; MAYBE even West Virginia, and Kentucky. From "Cherokee" signs/maps to Spanish/Jesuit signs/maps; from Pirate signs/maps to "Brit" signs/maps; from American Colonies to Westward trek signs/maps; CSA/KGC/"Outlaws" signs/maps... you get the "picture"... ;) I am getting a "headache", now... :D POINT me to ONE source on the NET... I will continue to share FREE, what I find... THANKS!!! ;)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Rebel,

We would all love to see that. Unfortunately there is as many different interpretations of every sign. and I have some that I have never seen published. One common thread for all signs would be the way to go.

But there is also a thought by most THers I have met, that says you should work for the knowledge and apply what you learn. Most of us old guys never had the pleasure of a book to get our signs from, I know I have built my own as time went by I have rewritten it three or four times. Always adding new things and updating others, my kids called it "Dad's personal Indiana Jones book".

Some of us had the pleasure of knowing someone who had at one time a direct link to the trails themselves, and knew what the signs really meant.

For me it was an old guy named Curtis (78 years old when I met him at 16 years old myself) His Grandfather was part of a group of Indians who were at on point enslaved by the Spanish and was also part of the bunch that drove them out. He taught me a lot. I have a partner I am teaching. In the last 6 months We have added a good sign to the collection and others are on the cooker.

This stuff is important to history and shouldn't pass with out being handed down.

My suggestion is to get proficient with what you have out there and become the go to guy. out here the trees I have that are marked are axe hewn stumps mostly with a branch left on to point the way. and small stone pointers along the way between the stumps. sometimes a very large rock is propped up by a piece of wood but more often another stone. We don't have a lot of big trees around here that are anywhere big enough to cut a sign into.

As far as people who do know signs... there are a few here who are the best I have ever heard of.
Mesa Buddy is here,
Stilldigin is here,
Twisted fork is here.

These guys are awesome at reading and interpreting the messages left behind.
Stilldigin and twisted fork seem to know their way around the owlhoot signs as well and will help for the asking.

Happy Hunting,
Old Dog

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Re: Treasure Maps, etc.

Yo! ;D Yep, OD... gotta "hand it down"... why I think an ORGANIZED "thread" with sub-topics would be good. The "Hoot Owl" trees... known as "Indian Trail/Thong Trees back here, in the EAST... becoming "Hoot Owl" Trees on the Hoot Owl Trail into Texas, I think... used by LOTS of Outlaws. BEST web-site on Trail Trees, THAT I HAVE REVIEWED, was by "Dyer Consequences"; that web-site no longer exists (OR... I just can't find it...). It was Trail Trees of Georgia or something like that; explained what a "message tree" was... pointer trees... etc. with LOTS of "pics". If I had a DIG-CAM (Digital Camera), I could probably take "pics" of what I see here in Virginia... MAYBE, I'll just tell the family to Come Together with $$$, and buy one, for X-Mas... ;)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rebel,

Those digital cameras are getting very inexpensive.
For less than $150 you can get a super camera with lots of bells and whistles that will keep you going for years. download directly to the computer and have all kinds of fun. not just with signs but record family as well.
It's always nice to be able to look back at a family thing and say how good someone looked that day. LOL

Thom
OD

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rebel,

Check out the Kodak easy share cameras.
They work really well for the money and seem to be tough.
I have been using one for my forrays into the wilds for a long time.
It has become a very useful tool.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions