Great short hunt.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a little time to try a new field that I have researched before it got dark. It showed on old plat book a farm use to sit in this field but wasn't sure where. I was swinging and finally hit the iron trash. The sun was going down quick. I got a good signal and a old one piece flat button. A few more steps and a repeatable 82 on VDI. I dig and out come what I thought was a U.S. Large cent. Rubbed it carefully and I see bank of upper Canada so I put in my pouch. I was very excited a few more steps and another repeatable good tone and out come another coin that looks like a large cent walked a few mor steps and another large coin. Took a quick pic of button and coins and headed out of field. I really wanted to stay but it was getting dark quick and this place will be here to hunt again. Took coins home and ended up being an 1852 Canadian half penny, 1844 us large cent and my oldest coin to date an 1834 us large cent. My previous was an 1837. Wow am I excited and ready to hunt this place while the weather holds out and I'm not working. My hands are still shaking a bit this has to be my best coin day ever when talking about old coins. Thanks for looking and good luck. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417303559.959978.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417303609.124619.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417303644.097460.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention but I'm sure you can see in picture that 1844 large cent is holed and that is the first holed coin I have ever found so that is cool also. I'm really setting here contemplating getting my headlamp out and going back to the field. Wife isn't to thrilled about that idea since we are putting Christmas tree up so I guess I'll get some swing time tomorrow. This new site isn't going anywhere and nobody else detects it because it's my father and mother in laws land.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like That's gonna be a great site from the quick finds you've made!, I know how it feels to get on a site like that and not want to leave, and when you're waiting to get back you can't sleep because of the excitement, I hope there's some old silver waiting in there for ya!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I would think there is some seated there. Maybe even a gold dollar coin! Shouldn't of said that prob just jinxed myself lol. I'll be happy to clean it out of large cents and relics if that's all that's there.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience in my first homesite was dig everything repeatable, even if iron, your cleaning out the junk and unmasking the goods

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you 100% I have a couple more sites I've been detecting the last couple of years. One I've pulled over 20 Indian heads. Only 2 silvers though from that one both barber dimes and the other is a bit newer with a few mercs and silver rosies along with a lot of wheats. This one I just started is an 70 acre field and never been detected because father in law has owned it since the late 50s. He had no clue about old farmstead on his property. I showed him the old map and he said what are you waiting for lol. He said I have to split any gold I find and can keep everything else lol. I showed him the coins and he was almost as excited as me and said he wanted to get a detector and hunt with me. He doesn't get around very well but if he wants to try I'll let him use one of mine and help him dig targets. I told him how much I appreciate him letting me detect his land and he kind of laughed and said why did you even ask you can hunt any of my land. I have pulled all kids of relics from other fields including ax heads so I will take my time on this site and start pulling some of the iron targets when I have time for a long hunt. This hunt tonite was just to find the old farm so I know where to start digging and from these coins i found in that short of time I am sure there is more there. Sorry to be so windy but the excitement hasn't worn off yet. 😃

Last edited:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see what you pull out of there next. The way the weather has been you might need a pick axe to get through the frozen ground. Awesome digs

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprisingly the ground was very soft. The beans were taken off a week or so ago but the guy who farms it must have worked the ground within last week. It should be easy to dig for a little while. It's going to get close to 50s here tomorrow before going back to freezing temps later in week. I'm going there tomorrow but with work schedule may not make it back till next Sat or Sun.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, good luck to your next search.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the coin to button ratio there, nice 3 copper day! Hope that site gives up plenty more for ya! HH

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coin experts here? I cleaned the coins in peroxide and the 1834 came out great so I got online and there are many variations on the 1834. Here is a cleaned up pic of it. The other two cleaned up ok but this one looks great. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417316999.864097.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417317058.749825.jpg

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't sleep lol want to get back out there. I'm going to post this 1834 on the coin forum. I think it might be worth more than $20. The more I research it the more it doesn't match any of the variations I can find. Fingers crossed

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cent did clean up nice. Hell, I wouldn't be able to sleep either!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better have a big breakfast, allot of digging ahead of you. I'd run through there the first couple hours and cherry pick it, 83 or higher only. See what you come up with then dig everything. Of course old old silver would ring in allot lower then that unless they were DOLLAR size. Haaaaa Congrats on a great site, you should do great there (already have) You had me laughing especially about headed out instead of Christmas decorating, your wife probably hang your Xmas ba**s from the tree if you had done that!
Your excitement is contagious, you got me excited, good luck!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt bud. Looks like some really nice potential on that site. That LC is gorgeous and I will look for a variety later. If I can't figure it out I know you can....no doubt. Dig everything that's not iron. A lot of people don't like those lower numbers and mid tones but all of the Tombac button and pewters are very low. There's also a fair amount of coins, even silver that can come up low. A cut piece of Spanish will be very low. A trime I'm guessing is fairly low. Clean out everything because I promise you there's good stuff that's being masked by the stuff on too. Good luck buddy we will be looking for your next trip out. I'm going hunting in the snow....hopefully :-)

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone I'm going to be able to get a good hunt in today. I hope for the same kind of finds and luck.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow it's nice out today wife has more for me to do but it will wait for later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions