Great Teller Find

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: Couple of weeks ago went on a bank run. Stopped at 1 bank & teller said she had $15 loose halfs. While she was counting them out, I heard the distinct sound of silver. She than asked me the dreaded question "Do you have a account here?". I told her the truth that I didn't have a account & I'm a coin collector. She said she couldn't sell me the coins. After 15 minutes & a new $20 checking account later, she than was able to sell me the coins. The other tellers had a additional $2 in loose halfs. As she counted the $15 in halfs again, I noticed a weird reverse on 1 of the coins. Included in the halfs were 4 40%s & 1 90% (64 Ken). The best was yet to come. The coin with the weird reverse was a 1824 Capped Bust Lettered Rim half dollar!! I took it to several dealers & they all said it is authentic & is in very fine condition. However it has been cleaned which reduces it's coin collecting value but I don't care as it is now the oldest coin I have found crh & in my collection. Photos are attached.
HH
Gary

Attachments

• 100_0084.jpg
    100_0084.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_0085.jpg
    100_0085.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find Gary! Well worth opening a new account and then some!
It beats my best find by a mile, Way to go!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Fantastic find, Gary. No worries about the cleaning, it is in fantastic shape. Now, I know there isn't a set protocol with naming threads when it comes to Bust halves, like there is for Barbers and Seated Liberty, but on such a rare occasion, you must channel your creativity in coming up with a thread title to mark such a momentous occasion.

For all other posters on this thread, include a thread title that would better suit Gary's find.

i.e. Teller let me peak at her Bust for face

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaned or not that coin is in incredibly great condition for a 190 year old coin just found in circulation. Congrats on an amazing find! :thumbsup:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Teller Finally Let Me Touch her Bust after I opened a $20 Account" ?

Great find! And she just counted it out to you TWICE with a straight face, as if she buys and sells 1824 halves everyday at her branch? Nice.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Some great alternate thread title suggestions, but I think baddbluff's is the best so far.

Gary don't worry about the "cleaning". Nearly all raw coins that are over 150 years old have been cleaned at some point in their tenure. Your Bust has a solid VF grade and the cleaning won't hurt that value. I've seen worse still realize the graded value at auction. It's current value is approx. $140. If you can, take a clear close-up of the date. There are a number of overdate varieties for 1824. Yours might be a 4 over 4 variety. Congratulations on a very nice find.

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epic find!
"Is this a bust? Yes ma'am, quite impressive." Naked Gun

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot dayum thats awesome
Congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, Gary!!! That is truly a once in a lifetime find! Cleaned or not, who else can say that they got a 190-year-old coin from the bank!!! Heck, my oldest find is only 136 years old. Thanks for sharing :D

oddrod

Oct 31, 2012
Derby KS
Detector(s) used
Brother Bobs Tesoro Deleon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary, now there is drool all over my iPhone. Great find congrats.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, Gary. No worries about the cleaning, it is in fantastic shape. Now, I know there isn't a set protocol with naming threads when it comes to Bust halves, like there is for Barbers and Seated Liberty, but on such a rare occasion, you must channel your creativity in coming up with a thread title to mark such a momentous occasion.

For all other posters on this thread, include a thread title that would better suit Gary's find.

i.e. Teller let me peak at her Bust for face

20 bucks and I get the tellers bust!!!!!!!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I think your now going to christen that bank "Bank Busty" "Come to Bank Busty, our teller's will give you their busts!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your size fifty-cent bust. Nice, real nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread