greedy noobie idiots

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!

First off I would have apologized for the frickin idiots and offered to fill in all holes and make it look right. I would then have explained that this person was an idiot and most TRUE metal detectorist are not like that and care very much about how they leave the sight looking. I also would have told them that we leave sights cleaner than we find them by picking up trash.

None the less.... there are still lots of idiots out there. Watch YouTube for example. Many people on there are really proud of their new detectors and can't wait to make a stupid video of them hunting with their new machine. Okay that may be fine, that is until you watch them dig and fill their hole. If your gonna post your hunt from a park or public place on YouTube, at least learn how to dig and fill a dam hole first! Nothing like teaching a newb bad habits.

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rhino, what other forums are you on? I've looked for other treasure hunting websites and can't find any that compare to tent.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off I would have apologized for the frickin idiots and offered to fill in all holes and make it look right. I would then have explained that this person was an idiot and most TRUE metal detectorist are not like that and care very much about how they leave the sight looking. I also would have told them that we leave sights cleaner than we find them by picking up trash.

None the less.... there are still lots of idiots out there. Watch YouTube for example. Many people on there are really proud of their new detectors and can't wait to make a stupid video of them hunting with their new machine. Okay that may be fine, that is until you watch them dig and fill their hole. If your gonna post your hunt from a park or public place on YouTube, at least learn how to dig and fill a dam hole first! Nothing like teaching a newb bad habits.

There is one kid that is real good at using his detector....but when he breaks out the Conan Barbarian shovel.... Oh my Gawd....for a penny? A dime? That should make people NOT want to buy a detector. I just got my first detector, and plan on using it to find stuff. Hope I strike it rich...with that said, I have a lot of outdoor hobbies. And every single one of them has an idiot involved. The thing that needs to be discussed isn't ones experience at metal detecting. It is one's experience in being a good steward to the land. A good outdoorsman. A protector of the environment, and a person that treads lightly.
I'm new, to MD'ng, but I grew up in the great outdoors. It doesn't take a genius to figure out to clean up after yourself, not to trash the place and leave holes and garbage, giant excavations and holes carved in the trees. That is an idiot. And like most idiots you can't prevent it or treat it. Being a responsible outdoorsman has everything to do with knowledge, experience, and pride. And nothing to do with a Metal Detector, a Rifle or Shotgun, a 4wheel drive, or an umbrella a towel and a picnic basket.
On another note, don't just rant here and get it off your chest. Call or write the DB's at SPIKE TV and let them know you just switched them off. Call or write a few of their advertisers and let them knowand know why too. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to write White's over an ad I saw where the kid has one of those fierce LESCHE Dirt Murderer shovels over his shoulder to find a silver dollar. People see that sort of thing and it leaves a bad impression. So if you have seen that commercial, write them too.

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My family and I are new to panning and MD'ing but not new to the outdoors.....we fill all our holes and leave it better that we found it! Have never seen this "diggers"show but assume it is the same as all the other "Storage Wars"type shows.....We believe in the geocaching moto of "CITO"!!!(cache in trash out)

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My eyes are burning from reading this thread. Insert digging tool in ground to proper depth, flip plug, find target, rake with hand all dirt in hole, flip plug back over, vigorously fan remaining dirt into grass, stand up and give plug a firm stepping. Lol!

As a newbie I was glad I found this site. I pride myself in my holes. At first I was very... well horrible at it and now as I learn my machine I can dig better holes. Learning the proper tools and techniques was because of this site!! So Tnet is making a difference.

Thank you all

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My family and I are new to panning and MD'ing but not new to the outdoors.....we fill all our holes and leave it better that we found it! Have never seen this "diggers"show but assume it is the same as all the other "Storage Wars"type shows.....We believe in the geocaching moto of "CITO"!!!(cache in trash out)

There is "American Diggers" on Spike, and then there is "Diggers" on NatGeo. "Diggers" appears to be a show about responsible guys who love the same things we do. The other show is about some former WWF star who is now all "woo hoo and shi*t" about "getting the gold Brother!!" . I suggest you watch diggers. It is entertaining. The other show I suggest you write Spike an email and tell them you are done with them until they get rid of these morons.

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
As a noob who got fired up by seeing an episode of diggers, I need to put in my clad two cents.
I bought a 30" Lesche murder tool to save my back. (I have bad discs from a fall at work.)
Last nite was my first time ever and I dug careful plugs that I replaced, and have no illusions about getting rich. I used my trowel, wishing I had brought the shovel. I always pick up after my dogs, and other's dogs too -case in point.
I do stuff like letting my dogs off lead while I was MD, which some might say makes me an idiot... But they are non aggressive and well trained. I left no trace and went after hours to a less popular park to practice. Saw three passers by and they were cool dog folk as well... I took time to say Hi and did not light up my dig until they left. Aware of impressions I may leave.
This is my park too, I will be back.
I'm thankful that diggers ignited my childhood curiosity, and eBay supplied the tools.
My prior research led me to ethical methods and ideas on starting out, and it all worked great. No harm, No Foul. I can understand members fears, but I think they may be over blown, most people are lazy and find this hobby nerdy or lame. Add the strange lingo on Diggers, and the fake zeal, -the show won't last. We should work to promote responsible MD. Loss of areas is scary. But there will be no stampede. Just my noob opinion.
My wife thinks this hobby will pass.
Little does she know. Lol.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a noob who got fired up by seeing an episode of diggers, I need to put in my clad two cents.
I'm thankful that diggers ignited my childhood curiosity, and eBay supplied the tools.
My prior research led me to ethical methods and ideas on starting out, and it all worked great. No harm, No Foul. I can understand members fears, but I think they may be over blown, most people are lazy and find this hobby nerdy or lame. Add the strange lingo on Diggers, and the fake zeal, -the show won't last. We should work to promote responsible MD. Loss of areas is scary. But there will be no stampede. Just my noob opinion.
My wife thinks this hobby will pass.
Little does she know. Lol.

It was Ringy and KG that inspired me. They are goofy, but they enjoy the history, and the hunt. And from what I have read KG never sells anything he finds. So no, there show won't last. It is the "other" show that has people upset. They are profit mongers who give the hobby a bad rep, and give people a bad opinion of MD'rs.
But as for "newbs" or FNG's....look at us..we came here. We want to be part of this community of relic hunters, and coin hunters. So we already understand the part about ethics, and responsibility. People who come here first will either be responsible hobbyists or gold digging idiots. I'll bet my brand new AT PRO that the idiots don't stick around long when they realize two things..
1. Digging is work!
2. It requires responibility (which is harder work for some)

I may joke about detecting graveyards with a shovel, or doing peoples yards at night while they sleep....but come on....I'm not a ghoul or that daft. ............. Anyone know how to make the winky smiley face from mobile?

sierrakev

Jan 19, 2013
Post script: I took my restless pups to the muddy dogpark and we decided it would be wiser to hang outside, in the regular park, near an old man made casting club and pond built in the 30's I think... Of course I had to practice listening to my Amigo II a bit. :) Found my first tab!
Took my shovel (OMG!) and found that it is much quicker, cleaner, just three blade width pokes and a pry. I don't think I will use it in high profile situations, but it is amazing on crabby grass and roots, mixed soils. Being able to use weight and leverage really helps. No sore palms from pushing the trowel. And it's not that much bigger.
Seemed like it was more discreet, other than the actual shovel itself, since I was on one knee for a short period, standing mostly... versus last nite, troweling away on my hands and knees, half cutting and digging. The shovel is way easier and the plug is only a bit larger than most of my trowel plugs. The T-handle of the shovel helps tamp the soul back down too. Back to detecting,
I went all metal tonite mostly... Practice, Practice.
Questions:
Why is it possible to still hit solidly on old iron, when iron discrimination is chosen?
And does a trashy area mean that it has not been heavily hunted?
Anyway,
after midnight, no skunks, cops, or coyotes, all trash and a couple of quality hours with the dogs under the stars chasing beeps in the wet grass... I left the place cleaner than I found it, and my little death shovel made plugs you'd be hard pressed to find today. I love this sh stuff!

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Post script: I took my restless pups to the muddy dogpark and we decided it would be wiser to hang outside, in the regular park, near an old man made casting club and pond built in the 30's I think... Of course I had to practice listening to my Amigo II a bit. :) Found my first tab!
Took my shovel (OMG!) and found that it is much quicker, cleaner, just three blade width pokes and a pry. I don't think I will use it in high profile situations, but it is amazing on crabby grass and roots, mixed soils. Being able to use weight and leverage really helps. No sore palms from pushing the trowel. And it's not that much bigger.
Seemed like it was more discreet, other than the actual shovel itself, since I was on one knee for a short period, standing mostly... versus last nite, troweling away on my hands and knees, half cutting and digging. The shovel is way easier and the plug is only a bit larger than most of my trowel plugs. The T-handle of the shovel helps tamp the soul back down too. Back to detecting,
I went all metal tonite mostly... Practice, Practice.
Questions:
Why is it possible to still hit solidly on old iron, when iron discrimination is chosen?
And does a trashy area mean that it has not been heavily hunted?
Anyway,
after midnight, no skunks, cops, or coyotes, all trash and a couple of quality hours with the dogs under the stars chasing beeps in the wet grass... I left the place cleaner than I found it, and my little death shovel made plugs you'd be hard pressed to find today. I love this sh stuff!

Check out Buzz Wilson. I'm sure he is on here too. He makes custom sheaths for lesche and sampson shovels, ... And I think he has a T-handle for the lesche too. I'm planning on putting a T on mine.
And that is the thing, if you take your time and are careful then it should be almost if not completely undetectable, and how else are you going to keep from damaging whatever you are digging? Some of these guys you see on youtube are just clueless about the impression they leave...literally, and figuratively.

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wish so much that had not happened. It was a great place to detect. I would have been glad to have helped them anyway I could have. Fill your holes peeps! It has become terribly important. We lose great places to enjoy the hobby that we all love everyday.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Just think of all of those Metal Detectors at Garage Sales for $15 in a year or two, once they see the cash does not flow like water from a faucet.

The glory days are over. Now every mouthbreathing dullard with a few hundred bucks for a machine and a shovel will be tearing up any ground they can find to make their "riches, because that's what da TV SAID!"

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most people even "noobies" do have the common decency to dig responsibly. I live in a small town where people already look at you like you're some kind of weirdo for walking around the park swinging a metal detector and wearing headphones. Leaving open holes and dug up trash would only be an invitation to having the hobby banned altogether here in public parks. So for that reason I think most people who care new or not try to do the right thing. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most people even "noobies" do have the common decency to dig responsibly. I live in a small town where people already look at you like you're some kind of weirdo for walking around the park swinging a metal detector and wearing headphones. Leaving open holes and dug up trash would only be an invitation to having the hobby banned altogether here in public parks. So for that reason I think most people who care new or not try to do the right thing. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

I agree. I suspect there are two types. Those with a real interest, who will research and learn as much as they can. That type will eventually find their way here or another community where they will share and engage, learn and practice. Then there is the type that think they know it all already. How hard can it be right? Read the manual listen for the beep and dig...they'll do one of two things, find there way here and learn, or give up and sell that detector for cheap. Those types never last long in anything they do.

Robert Eugene

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
Southern Hoosierville
Detector(s) used
Garrett BFO,

Bounty Hunter Big Bud,

White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new guys 2C worth,

The city and county parks are fair and legal in and around my area. Have had a real good time hunting them, have followed behind such crater makers and picked up their trash,and filled in their holes.

With the recent televison programs, especially the loud, brash, bellowing Savage and the two other loonies running around screaming ROUNDNESS IN THE HOLE, it won't be long until a lot of our possible hunting areas will be off limits.

I was under the assumption that every new metal detector came with a code of ETHICS both of my new purchases did, my Whites even came with a VHS tape showing how to present yourself to the public in an appropriate manner to ensure all of us have a future in the hobby we love.

jjdig

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So only NOOBS are idiots ... doubt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions