Greenhorn treasure hunter

hopetofind

Mar 28, 2010
I am looking for advice on where to start my new adventure in life of treasure hunting. Should I purchase a metal detector? If so which one? Are there any books you'd recomend? I live in the Northern Michigan area we have lots of beaches and old indian camps and snow of course. I love to look for anything rocks,coins, etc. I am most happy just out looking for anything. Look forward to your advice.

Upvote 0

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
Welcome to the Hobby !!!
If you appreciate the outdoors, history and the possibility of some treasure, metal detecting is a fun venture. If you think you are going to strike it rich, you may want to rethink LOL...
as for a detector, where you are located and the types of treasure you will be looking for will play a great role in your choice of MD unit. Also, price is a factor.
I love the Tesoro machines !!! The function extremely well, are reasonably priced and have a lifetime warranty with GREAT customer service.
Give us some more details on where & what you are hunting for and you will get plenty of advice.
Happy Hunting !!
Brad

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
start cheap and used, pick one that you just turn on and go. have a bag with sling, and digging tools, use headphones and cover your holes.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much you have to spend on a detetor. Do you want one that you can hunt water and land with. Where are you at in MI how far from the Ohio line are you. Is there someone close that you can use a detector from to see how you like it......Matt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopetofind said:
I am looking for advice on where to start my new adventure in life of treasure hunting. Should I purchase a metal detector? If so which one? Are there any books you'd recomend? I live in the Northern Michigan area we have lots of beaches and old indian camps and snow of course. I love to look for anything rocks,coins, etc. I am most happy just out looking for anything. Look forward to your advice.

Best advice I can give to someone just starting out is to read everything on the Goldenolde..It is an amazing source of information on detecting written by one of the best ever, and it is FREE. I highly recommend you even think about copying as much as possible to your harddrive. There is no telling how much longer it will remain up since Norm passed away a couple years ago.... http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

There are a few who for some reason refuse to read it, even after giving them the link, they want someone to tell them everything.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the part i like best in netfirms is something i have always said.. This was in netfirms>>>>In the long run i decided that the hi-tech models just slow you down watching the display and depth indicators .And aside from that i found that i am more personally satisfied by hunting with my skills.>>>>>>> yep that is what it said...................I always said that crap on a detector just slows your hunting down ........ that is why my detector that gets the most use is my Sovereign just Knobs & Switches & no screen ............... you might have all those numbers jumping around on your screen and it will tell you how deep to dig ..................... but my Sovereign will find more & faster than your hi-tech detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread