Hello, new here... just getting started, could use some advice.

Merovingian

Mar 28, 2010
Hello,

My name is Merovingian, and after several years of 'avoiding' something that I had interest in, (Metal Detecting/Treasure Hunting) I have resolved to entertain the interest a bit. My father in law was VERY into metal detecting for quite a while when my wife was young so I tried to stay away from it to not freak out my wife :) I already am a bit of a coin collector like my father in law so I didn't want to press the thing too hard... however, I mentioned it to her yesterday and it brought a smile to her face and her blessing, so now I find myself here.

First my budget, I am looking at spending $100 to $200 on a metal detector. After a look on Amazon.com I'm not really sure of what works and what doesn't, most have good reviews... but I thought Id ask the experts here. I am not interested in spending $1500 on a metal detector.

Next is books, I'm about to do an Amazon purchase and would like to toss a few (1 or 2) metal detector/treasure hunting books to the order and could use some advice on a book to buy (or two).

I live in rather sparsely populated part of central Alaska, so it would certainly be either boom or bust up here.

Thank you for any comments, suggestions, or advice you choose to dispense.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I will/would be doing both Beach, stream and Dry ground metal detecting. I sometimes vacation on the beaches in Texas, so beaches are certainly in the mix not just old mining camps in Alaska :)

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The Garrett ACE 250 is a great machine. You can submerse the coil but don't dare drop it in the water!! It does well on dry land and dry sand. it is not so good on wet salt sand or in salt water.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
I don't own one but I've heard some good comments on the White's coinmaster from a friend who has one.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!! Welcome to the addiction!

Dave

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First beware of the reviews on Amazon about detectors. You don't know if the person is a newbie with no experience or a shill pushing a POS. Stick to the name brands like Garrett, White's, Tesoro and Minelab. I think the ACE 250 goes for about $212.00 and it has a lot of features for the money. Ask your father in law, I'll bet he'd be happy to help ya start out. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a suggestion, below is a link to a nice detector with an extra coil that is on the "for sale board" here, it is used, but the seller GibH is someone you can trust.

If it was me I would jump on that deal, it is a good deal and a heck of a good starter detector. It comes with the extra lower rod so each coil will have its on rod. I have owned and used the Conqistador, it is a great detector, and a bonus it has a frequency shifter if needed.....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,307923.0.html

Go to this site and read as much as you can on it, it is full of great information and tips.... http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
May I help you please?

If that is your bottom line budget for a detector, do yourself a favor and purchase a Tesoro .
That company Tessoro carries a lifetime warranty on all of their machines and they work great!
I honestly carry a compadre in my truck now and then in case I get into trashy sections with my etrac.
I can pick out buttons all day long in trash with it.
I can help you purchase one or, if you are interested I can offer you a higher end machine on a payment plan with no catches.

Welcome.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ford7379trucks

Greenie
Oct 14, 2007
4-H said:
May I help you please?

If that is your bottom line budget for a detector, please do yourself a favor and purchase a Tesoro compadre.
That company Tessoro carries a lifetime warranty on all of their machines and the work great!
I honestly carry a compadre in my truck now and then in case I get into trashy sections with my etrac.
I can pick out buttons all day long in trash with it.
I can help you purchase one or, if you are interested I can offer you a higher end machine on a payment plan with no catches.

Welcome.
pm sent

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
I live in rather sparsely populated part of central Alaska

I spent 10 years in Anchorage and traveled the state working on X-Ray equipment. I should've bought a Gold Machine early on. The violent freeze-thaw cycle makes coins deep so get something with some power.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread