golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to remember (many years ago) something about different metals(iron,steel,nickel,stainless,etc.)
if you hold them up to a benchtop type grinder, each one will throw off a different color (and distance) sparks.
Has any one done this to a meteorite???? I can't do it with my diamond saw,most likely due to the cooling
water. If so,what were your results please.:hello:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The only metals that will spark contain iron. The spark test you mention is used to determine what type of steel you have. In fact if you Google spark test you will see how different steels will spark differently due to carbon content, hardness etc. It helps pick a steel for a particular job. To spark it has to be a ferrous metal.
The tool for a spark test is a grinder as the color and shape of the sparks are used to id the metal.
I've never spark tested a meteorite as a magnet test is nondestructive and proves the same thing. Meteorites are usually iron and nickel so that defines stainless steel. The sparks should look bright yellow with small leaf at the ends. I'll stick to a magnet and the other tests first.

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info., I'm aways looking for a short cut. LOL