& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quartz is the most common mineral on earth, yet is considered rare in meteorites.
A partial quote from the Washington University/ St.Louis:
Although for convenience we sometimes state here that the minerals quartz, calcite, magnetite, hematite, and micas do not occur in meteorites, these statements are not entirely true. Each of these minerals are among the many minerals listed by Rubin (1997a,b) that have been observed in some meteorites. However, all these minerals are minor to rare in any type of meteorite and don't occur at all in the most common types of meteorites. TTC

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How stuck is it? Meaning -does it seem to be a part of the rock? A couple of relics and 1 coin I've seen had quartz "stuck" to them-if you get my thought. Is it fused by association through oxidation or weathering?.

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry, the quartz is not in the form of a vein.
Just a small part of the rock. Thinking more & more that
its not a meteorite.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm. I just had an interesting thought. If meteorites, the building blocks of the universe, rarely have quartz in them... and quartz is the most abundant mineral on earth... is there a direct connection between quartz and life? Or quartz and an oxygen-rich invironment? Hmmm. TTC

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A reference book I use most is Minerals Of New Mexico (Northrop UNM Press) I'm sure is out of print as mine was printed in 1959. Anyway it lists 45 different minerals found in NM meteorites and quartz is one. They are usually in trace amounts. I've never seen quartz stuck to a meteorite.
What you seem to describe is what occurs in hot fluids as minerals precipitate and form like when quartz clings to gold. or the other way around. Prospectors look for quartz veins as it can mean gold clinging to it. Maybe you found a piece of iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread