GrizzlyGoldTrap

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's different about the GGT sluices

Transport_deck_angle.jpg
The difference in the angle of the transport deck to the capture chamber is 3.5 degrees. This provides two advantages. It requires about an inch less depth in water to operate compared to older style fluid be sluices, which is helpful in small streams. Second, you can be more aggressive in the angle of the transport deck in slower flows (say 7-8 degrees) while keeping the capture chamber between 3.5 - 4.5 degrees. Running the older model fluid bed sluices at 7-8 degrees tends to scour out the chamber some.

Exp_vs_Baz_chamber-slope.jpg
Explorer setup angle vs older fluid bed designs

Parallel Sidewalls at Grizzlies and Capture Chamber
parallel_sidewalls.jpg
From the water entrance point, the transport deck narrows down to increase water velocity up to the grizzlies. At this point the sidewalls run parallel for two reasons. If the walls continued to narrow, this would cause a choke point at the chamber where gravels and larger rocks would tend to jam up, causing material to flow up and over the blockage, potentially loosing gold. The parallel wall design significantly decreases jam-ups at the grizzlies. Within the capture chamber, not having the sidewalls continue to narrow means that water velocity is not increasing, allowing gold and heavies to more easily settle out within the chamber and not be carried through it.

Grizzly Angle and Design
Another design element that improves clearing unclassified material is the design of the grizzlies. The grizzly rods (stainless steel) are set into the transport deck at an angle of 17 degrees without any bends. The lower angle and straight insertion point at the deck allows material to more easily transport up the grizzlies and out the end with fewer jam-ups.
GGT Grizzlies
grizzly-angle.jpg

Older Grizzly Design (Like Bazooka)
Bazooka_grizzlies.jpg

Sampling Riffles
sampling_riffles.jpg
This is a feature we all wanted on our fluid bed sluices. The sampling riffles captures some of the gold in your material for a short period of time, allowing you to get a sense of the color where you are digging, staying on the paystreak. Typically, gold caught in the sampling riffles will hold for 3-4 more shovels, and eventually wash out into the capture chamber. You can also clear the riffles by waving your fingers in the water above them, and then seeing what is captured in the next shovelfuls of material.
riffles-gold1.jpg

Capture Chamber
chamber_in_water.jpg
The design of the capture chamber took some time — finding the right combination of length, width, depth, vertical space above captured material, number of tubes, tube height, - and the list goes on. And of course the configuration and sizes of fluidizing holes. There were a lot of design configurations tested, so we have piles of old sections and parts of sluices, including about 30 different configurations of tubes. We learned a lot about fluid bed designs during our research, such as the wrong combination of chamber length and fluidizing design creates a higher degree of scouring. In all, there are about five design changes within the chamber area (over older style fluid beds) that improves capture and retention of gold. One important feature is that the fluidizing design is optimized to evenly stratify material throughout the chamber, while creating enough vertical capture space for new material entering the chamber. The images below represent captured material levels in the GGT vs older fluid bed designs. In the older fluid beds, the level of the material within the chamber stayed close to the level of the exit hole with very little capture space except for gold dropping down through the material. Our research indicates that some gold, especially finer sizes, just skipped over the top of the material and out. The GGT fluidizing design provides a slightly ramped capture space that enhances the exchange of heavies and lights and improves the capture of gold.

chamber_material_levels.jpg
GGT capture chamber material levels vs older style fluid beds

A lot of time and research went into the GGT sluices, and we are continuing efforts to see what improvements we can make in the future improve our line of sluices.

Attachments

• Explorer_Prod-shot8.jpg
    Explorer_Prod-shot8.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to remind people that some of these features are not new developments - Parallel sidewalls and square or rectangular capture chamber has been standard on the Aurora Mining Products (AMP) sluices for years. Also the grizzly angle is very similar (1 degree difference). I also spent many hours determining optimum width, length and height for capture area as well as fluidization spacing and diameter.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah? Well my dog is meaner than your dog!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to remind people that some of these features are not new developments - Parallel sidewalls and square or rectangular capture chamber has been standard on the Aurora Mining Products (AMP) sluices for years. Also the grizzly angle is very similar (1 degree difference). I also spent many hours determining optimum width, length and height for capture area as well as fluidization spacing and diameter.

not the place or time Kevin.

last time you went down this road you only got flat tires.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its nice to know I have an option now, in the unholy event that something should happen to my old school fluid bed.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple R&D improvement to make to your deck is just a pattern of small circular bumps to prevent larger rocks from blocking flow underneath (flat contact on deck)... will help keep things moving and aid in breaking up material before it gets to the trap. Also gives ability to spot check for gold. Cheers.

OP
OP
GrizzlyGoldTrap

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grizzly Gold Trap sluices overseas!
Our first overseas GGT was received in France this past week. This model was shipped through a second party shipper, but we are working on setting up shipments to Canada and other countries - goal is to have this set up early next week. We have requests for GGT sluices from France, Australia, Germany, Ireland, and England.

OP
OP
GrizzlyGoldTrap

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Care in Shipping
We may be a little overboard in our packing and shipping methods, but we want our sluices to arrive in good shape. Here is how we package our sluices.
1. Plastic wrap to protect sluice from scratches during shipment
shipping1.jpg

2. Extra bubble wrap on ends
shipping2.jpg

3. Multiple layers of bubble wrap over sluice
shipping3.jpg

4. Extra heavy shipping boxes
shipping4.jpg

5. 2-3 inches of recycled peanuts, and off to customers.
shipping5.jpg

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like it is shown in the picture above is how my Explorer came to me in that nice heavy duty box. A job well done!....................63bkpkr

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got mine in the mail today. noticed that the method used to hold the pieces together is some kind of clear glue?? the bazooka i have it looks like they used some kind of plastic welder on all the joints that fused the parts together. with the grizzly i can see all these tiny gaps in the joints were there wasn't enough glue applied. now on closer inspection it seems like the joint were the thinner vertical walls connect to the thicker deck plate is cracked in the glue the whole way up? if i flex the vertical walls slightly i can hear creaking and cracking? is this normal? i feel like i need to re-glue these crack up before i use it....

OP
OP
GrizzlyGoldTrap

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Moses,
The adhesive used on the GGT is a very high strength solvent bond that actually melts into the material, created especially for bonding ABS. Waterproof and used for welding pressurized water tanks (just one of its applications). The bond on most parts are applied on both sides as well as all contact points. Sometimes you may see a small surface gap in adhesive, but there will be bonding at contact points and often opposite surface. We've got units that have had extreme use for months with no issues. If there is any issue with your sluice or if it was damaged in shipping, send it back and we will replace it and cover shipping.

Last edited:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response and info! Most of the gold here in tennessee is the fine stuff that likes to work itself into the tiniest of gaps. Some of the gaps / cracks on the deck and around the riffles look like gold could get into and be hard to remove. You sound really confident on the overall structural integrity. I could fill the spots myself with some glue or jb weld and still be able to take it out on its maiden voyage this weekend.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can paint abs glue along the seam or use M.E.K and a brush it will seal the gaps

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first attempt included a tube of clear resin. Even though I bought it from the ABS supplier it wasn't suitable for the job. It was brittle. The solvent worked better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first attempt included a tube of clear resin. Even though I bought it from the ABS supplier it wasn't suitable for the job. It was brittle. The solvent worked better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your gonna use glue use the black stuff.

Another excellent seam filler is a mix of 50/50 acetone and abs shavings

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after half a bucket of a big seam i'm working.
20170910_212706.jpg
I ran maybe three buckets the whole day. only three because the material is a collection of rusted, concreted together rocks, dense clay, and decomposing bedrock. its extremely hard to break up to say the least.
once the gold was in the riffles i never saw a piece get washed out. i'm not sure if this is because i was running classified material or because of how i had it set up. it was hard to get some of the gold out of the first gap on my clean-up. i will glue that and a few other spots to make the next clean out easier. i'll post a pic of the final take once i pan it out.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1492970
I ran maybe three buckets the whole day. only three because the material is a collection of rusted, concreted together rocks, dense clay, and decomposing bedrock. its extremely hard to break up to say the least.
once the gold was in the riffles i never saw a piece get washed out. i'm not sure if this is because i was running classified material or because of how i had it set up. it was hard to get some of the gold out of the first gap on my clean-up. i will glue that and a few other spots to make the next clean out easier. i'll post a pic of the final take once i pan it out.

It took me a bit to feel comfortable in doing it, but we've been cleaning out the riffles after every bucket the last few times out, and it's nice to see new gold in the riffles and know we're still in good gravel. The first couple times doing it though were tough. I just knew that gold was washing right back out into the river, but it showed up in the box!

OP
OP
GrizzlyGoldTrap

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1492970

Nice looking gold Moses! So heres the trick when you want to clear the sample riffles when you are running materials. Wave your fingers through the water above the riffles and they will clean out. The waving action above creates enough turbulent flow to blow out most of what is in the riffles - then you can run more material and see if you are still in the pay streak. I also do this before a cleanout.

If you want to seal the first and last gap (outside of riffles) you can use clear silicone sealant - Home Depot and Lowes carry 2.8 oz. tubes. Works great and is easy to seal those small gaps and smooth out after application. Just give it 24 hrs for good cure time.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me a bit to feel comfortable in doing it, but we've been cleaning out the riffles after every bucket the last few times out, and it's nice to see new gold in the riffles and know we're still in good gravel. The first couple times doing it though were tough. I just knew that gold was washing right back out into the river, but it showed up in the box!

That's my fear as well with the assay portion, to be honest my plan at first was to just pave it over and use it like I normally do. The more of you miners that use it and become more comfortable with that aspect of the sluice eases my concern each time; I'll give it a shot when I get one. But to be brutally honest I'm usually too busy digging to look at the things. :) Thanks for the report, that is indeed some nice gold for the amount of dirt you are moving! Shovel faster! LoL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions