Ground balance: Pros and cons of auto vs manual ground balance systems

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several Whites machines (Coinmaster Pro, GT, and MX5 for examples) have AutoTrac, which is automatic ground balance without a manual ground balance capability.

How accurate and consistent is that ground balance system compared to the more "hands on" systems of machines like Fisher F4 and F5 and Garretts that require periodic manual tweaking to maintain the balance?

What are the pros and cons of each?

The cons I read for auto trac systems is there there is no manual option. If auto trac works well, it seems there would be no need for manual intervention. The pros I read include statements like "why would I want to have to check ground balance every 10 seconds to make sure its reading correctly if it can be done automatically? This assumes auto ground balancing is doing a good job.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak to the Whites machines, but Minelab illustrated an analogy of the increased accuracy of their auto GB.

gbautomanualtrackingchart_zps9cb1b380.jpg

And with an Xterra you can even offset the GB (either positive or negative) and it will track with that offset.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Phase-tracking ground balance systems as found on actual products vary from the positively awful, to the moderately good. All have disadvantages. None (not even Minelab's) works like Minelab's ads describe.

When we introduced the T2 without a ground phase tracking system, people asked "where's the ground tracking?" Our response was "you don't need it". After about a year of that, the whole issue went away. Nothing we presently manufacture has a ground phase tracking system, and customers rarely ask for it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread